Author Topic: Libertarian Party sign up  (Read 29541 times)

Len Budney

Re: Libertarian Party sign up
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2007, 08:59:01 AM »
So I guess all of us here who volunteered part of our lives (20 years myself) to the service of our country are just mercenaries?

I'm afraid that question doesn't make any sense. Serving in a defensive capacity is an honorable profession; why do you think I have in some way denigrated you?

When did Australia own Americans slaves?

When conscripts fight for Australia's defense, they are slaves. When volunteers do it, more power to them.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2007, 09:59:11 AM »
Buh-bye.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Len Budney

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2007, 10:15:31 AM »
Buh-bye.

Sure, whatever. Thanks for the intellectually stimulating exchange.  rolleyes

--Len.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2007, 10:38:26 AM »
Even if we 'provoked' the Japanese during WWII into attacking Pearl Harbor due to some volunteers helping to fight their advance in China - wouldn't helping China in that situation simply be an extension of opening all the gun cabinets to help out the neighbors?  After all, true libertarians don't have much in the way of government borders.  Property lines, yes, but not borders.

We're all neighbors today - WWI and II showed that these conflicts can spread out to the entire globe.  It's best to stomp on Megalomaniacs early.

Len Budney

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2007, 11:38:46 AM »
... wouldn't helping China in that situation simply be an extension of opening all the gun cabinets to help out the neighbors?  After all, true libertarians don't have much in the way of government borders... We're all neighbors today...

I agree completely. However, there's room for debate whether military support really counts as "neighbors helping neighbors," because it isn't voluntary. The funding is not voluntary, and if a draft is in place the personnel are not volunteers either.

--Len.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2007, 04:04:53 PM »
I agree completely. However, there's room for debate whether military support really counts as "neighbors helping neighbors," because it isn't voluntary. The funding is not voluntary, and if a draft is in place the personnel are not volunteers either.

--Len.

While I believe that they received some government money, I do remember that the unit in China was 100% volunteer.

As for the self defense, and one of the reasons I consider myself a moderate or small 'L' libertarian is that, especially when it comes to countries, offense is greater than defense today.  At least as long as you're not trying to occupy the country - sweeping through, killing people and destroying stuff is quite easy compared to trying to stop such an advance.

As such, until 100% of the world goes down a libertarian path, we're going to need a professional military, capable of offensive operations that a bunch of citizens with small arms can't perform.

I'd rather stop invaders short of our soil.  In addition, fighting a pure defensive war allows our opponent(s) to pour resources in for as long as it takes.  You have to take the fight to the enemy.

And it's not like the military hasn't been able to meet it's long term recruitment goes - it may have had to offer more money and loosen enlistment requirements - but it's still made it's goals.

Keep the government out of people's day to day lives - but there's still a need for police, courts, and military.

Paddy

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2007, 05:01:58 PM »
Len thinks he can live on an island of bliss and 'non coercion/aggression' happiness while the rest of the world is ruled by brutal tyrants.

Damn good thing Libertarianism is nothing more than an exercise in abstract mental masturbation.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2007, 06:33:09 PM »
Len thinks he can live on an island of bliss and 'non coercion/aggression' happiness while the rest of the world is ruled by brutal tyrants.

Damn good thing Libertarianism is nothing more than an exercise in abstract mental masturbation.

Riley, do you consider me to be engaging in 'mental masturbation'?

Paddy

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2007, 07:55:05 PM »

Riley, do you consider me to be engaging in 'mental masturbation'?

No, and I apologize.  Len masquerades as a libertarian, when in fact he's simply an anarchist.  Libertarians need to guard against hijacking by malignant malcontents.  Much as the religious right has hijacked and sucked the life out of the Republican party.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2007, 05:57:12 AM »
Someone needs to say it.

Guys, chill.

There, I said it.

Len:  Wow.
One day at a time.

Len Budney

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2007, 05:59:34 AM »

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2007, 06:03:18 AM »
You know something?

No, forget it.  Just forget it.

(Right now I'm shaking my head in disbelief and laughing, that subtle little laugh.  And it's not because I'm happy).
One day at a time.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »
Oh no, watch out, he's laughing. That means he thinks you're wrong. Oh no.
D. R. ZINN

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2007, 08:51:30 AM »
I feel your pain, Mark.   undecided

(Trying to figure out that Religious Right thing, too.  I could be considered a member of that organization, and  I certainly won't be made to feel bad about it, regardless of who's decrying their angst...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"