Author Topic: Hillary proposes yet another boneheaded steal-from-rich entitlement...  (Read 13027 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Hillary proposes yet another boneheaded steal-from-rich entitlement...
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 06:33:45 AM »
I see this problem in New York. A lot of the utilities don't want to connect up our isolated, rural areas.

Funny, I have DSL out here in the Montana hinterlands - thanks to a subscriber owned telephone co-op. cool

If there is a problem in New York, maybe she should fix that first  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 09:25:55 AM »
FWIW, I haven't heard Standing Wolf say "America is not dumb enough to elect that Clinton critter" as he did with Kerry.

That's disconcerting. Seriously.  shocked
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 03:02:59 AM »
AAAARG! Now she wants to f-up the INTERNET with government bureaucracy, too!
Called "Connect America," Clinton's broadband network would give businesses incentives to go into underserved areas, support state- and local-based initiatives and change the Federal Communication Commission rules to more accurately measure Internet access.

"I see this problem in New York. A lot of the utilities don't want to connect up our isolated, rural areas. And they also don't want particularly to go into our underserved, poor, urban areas because there's so much money that can be made in Manhattan and our suburban areas," Clinton said.

Imagine what she would do if she actually got into office!!!!

I only agree because its hillary.  The idea of giving internet companies incentives such as tax breaks to get rurual areas connected isn't a bad one.  But she'll probably mandate that they do it or face summary execution....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2007, 06:12:15 PM »
Let's not pretend that anyone with "$2mn" worth of land anywhere is a "fairly poor" family by any stretch of the imagination - that places them well within the 95th percentile of estates.

2 million worth of land that's mortgaged to the hilt. A farmer has to buy seed, fertilizer, pesticides, tractors, deisel fuel, combines, trucks, insurance, etc. Have you priced a new combine lately? They cost a bit more than an urbanite's prius that is used to drive to Starbucks.

Heck, I know families that have excavation businesses. They might have a million$$ worth of machinery to pass down to the next generation in the business, but they are far from 'rich.' 

If you want to know what a rich person is, take a look at Ted Kennedy. He's a trust fund baby who's never done an honest days work in his entire life yet has the nerve to demagogue about who's 'rich' and who's not.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Paddy

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2007, 09:07:37 PM »
2 million worth of land that's mortgaged to the hilt. A farmer has to buy seed, fertilizer, pesticides, tractors, deisel fuel, combines, trucks, insurance, etc. Have you priced a new combine lately? They cost a bit more than an urbanite's prius that is used to drive to Starbucks.

Is that before or after the millions they get for not growing certain crops?  Gimme a break.  Federal farm subsidies long ago retired the American farmer.  They're now just a bunch of welfare queens.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 07:39:44 AM »

Is that before or after the millions they get for not growing certain crops?  Gimme a break.  Federal farm subsidies long ago retired the American farmer.  They're now just a bunch of welfare queens.

And you think people paint California with a broad brush. rolleyes
Care to show us something that proves "The American Farmer" is retired and a  welfare queen?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2007, 08:48:06 AM »
Deleted.  Post was too knee-jerk. I said some pretty un-nice things, and apologies to Riley for it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2007, 10:50:15 AM »
Californians must hate farmers. It's why they keep paving over all the orange trees, fields and orchards to build endless bland sprawl.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 11:28:39 AM »
Hillary knows that she is hated something vicious. So, there is no penalty for her to go out there and make outrageous promises like that to corner the undecided hedgesitter as well as pander to the crazy left. No matter what she says, there is no way for her to be even more hated by those who already hate her.

This business about taxing the rich is silly in the extreme. Those that are rich enough also have enough money for lawyers and tax evasion schemes. They set up a trust and pay themselves a small annuity out of it, for "living expenses", or they incorporate and do the same in different ways. And these are just the tricks I know about... There are plenty of people that would pay significantly more in taxes if their real income decreased. In reality, the tax increases end up hitting the middle class the worst, relatively speaking, because they are not rich enough to play a lot of the above games.

What we need is a real tax reform, wherein at the least, people or legal entities are NOT taxed for things they already own. Also, many of the services of gov that are currently covered by general taxes should instead be offered as a directly paid individual service.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 05:49:36 PM »
Sorry.  I should have said corporate globalists long age retired the American farmer. It was not my intention to insult the little guy.

I can't argue with you there. I know quite a few farmers who are struggling to make a go of it and the subsidies have done nothing to help them. But I'm sure they have helped ADM , Monsanto, Con Agra and some of the other big corp's.

It has more than likely hurt the small farmer by keeping commodity prices artificially low while increasing the profits for the big guys.

Anecdotally, the price of Grade A milk (last I knew) has been about $0.14 to $0.16 per hundred weight (one hundred pounds of milk) and has barely risen at all in years while the price of milk has probably doubled.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »
My dear ranch neighbors (unlike many) never took a dime of govt farm aid.  Neither did they get into the "owe my soul to the PCA" trap.  (they are about as anti-govt as I am, or even more so if you can believe that  laugh )  So in a sense, they sort of are rich, because they don't owe anything on their old junky tractors, swathers, baler, and pickups, etc.  I guess back in the sixties there were some good years on the wheat, too - though it's been so dry the last ten years that they've given up on wheat.

A lot of family farms/ranches are incorporated, precisely for the reason of avoiding the death tax which means death to family ownership of the ranch.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2007, 06:30:17 PM »
The problem with owning a lot of land or a successful family-owned business is that there is a high on-paper value, but IRS wants cash.  Greenbacks. 

Not too long back, one of the Terlinguoid's father died.  A lot of land, a couple of houses, not all that much livestock.  The cash that IRS required meant a bank loan whose payments are hurting the heir.  There he is, "rich", but hurting for net cash money.  "The power to tax is the power to destroy".

The Hildabeast gave a talk to an Indian tribe, who honored her with the name, "Walking Eagle".

They didn't tell her that "Walking Eagle" meant a bird that was too full of *expletive deleted*it to fly.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.