Author Topic: Not so macho?  (Read 2309 times)

P95Carry

Not so macho?
« on: June 28, 2005, 11:48:44 AM »
I used to be ashamed of weeping - maybe still am somewhat.  But have become aware, maybe an age thing, that I am affected by many things sufficient to at least moisten eyes and generate that lump in the throat!!

This can apply to sad and happy equally.  In fact maybe the joy experience is even the stronger of the two.  I can find myself nowadays, looking at fresh pics of my grandchildren - both are still wee little - and easily feeling such emotions of joy and pride that I start to choke up!  These small miracles who will go on I hope to a long and happy life, are simply astonishing and I marvel at them.

Could be I guess that even if some folks say 60 ain't ''old'' - it sure as heck makes one's mortality way more apparent.  ''Twilight years'' and all that!  Thus, one's sensitivities become perhaps more enhanced, tho I always was somewhat too sensitive for my own good even when younger. ''Ah'', folks would say - ''you are Pisces'' - and that supposedly summed it up LOL!

I know too that I am way more appreciative of things beautiful - and even there at times I can choke up just taking in the beauty of a scene.  I take much less for granted, that I know also.

Oh well - those who know me also know I ramble and am not that economical with words!  Same thing eh?!

Just wonder tho at times how alone I am at being a ''Mr Softy'' - and I have nothing much to prove any more so ''macho'' ain't necessary anways! Cheesy
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Preacherman

Not so macho?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 03:40:22 PM »
Interesting point, Chris.  I find that as I get older (and I've still got a ways to go to catch up with you!), I do find tears coming to my eyes more and more easily when thinking of the past.  This applies particularly to friends who've died, things like that.  So, if you're going soft, I'm along for the ride, I guess! Smiley
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

P95Carry

Not so macho?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 03:44:38 PM »
Welcome aboard Peter - glad to have your company. Smiley
Chris - P95

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Not so macho?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 04:20:19 PM »
Happy or sad, or Pride.

I remember when my oldest daughter became the best flutist in Pueblo CO.  After the long drag from third grade to high school, with her music teacher prodding dad to "buy her the best, she's worth it".

$600 Gemeinhardt solid silver open hole flute (in middle school).  The following year a piccolo to match.

She came home in high school and told me "Dad, they have tryouts for the Pueblo Youth Symphony, they only need three flutes, I don't think I can make it".  

I asked her "Who has the best band in the city?".  

"We do."

"Who is the best flutist in your band?"

"Well, me."

"OK, you have a chance"

She came home the next night ecstatic.  "Dad, I not only made it, I'm NUMBER ONE!"

Watching that symphony perform, with Diana playing the solos and the other girls playing backup, definately brought some tears to this father's eyes.

Now, as I watch Diana, now 31 years old, raising those four grandkids as a good mother, the pride still brings tears to my eyes.

P95Carry

Not so macho?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 04:30:41 PM »
Larry - you too my friend - you are welcome on my ship.  But then you know that! Smiley

Pride - is it selfish?  No I don't think so - more than anything I think it is revelling in the achievement of someone dear - just plain and simple, ''feeling glad'' for them.  But we label it pride sometimes.... more a shared joy.
Chris - P95

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Not so macho?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 05:00:42 PM »
Quote from: P95Carry
But we label it pride sometimes.... more a shared joy.
Chris,

That is correct my friend, shared joy.

Diana played her flute at my youngest sister in law's wedding.  Now Diana is the emotional type.  When the bride came down the aisle, she started crying.  Tears streaming down her cheeks, she still played the most perfect wedding march.  Daddy cried along with her.

Now Sarah, my youngest (Sadie's mom) played the DRUMS.  If you ever met Sarah (or Sadie) you would know that would fit.  She was also good at it (percussion section leader).  Sarah was our only Valedictorian (talk about a "shared joy" *proud* moment).  Diana missed Salutatorian by one "B".

Jimmy (my middle) didn't especially excel in school or sports, but he makes me proud every day as a hard working father of three, and a conservative.  He is also an accomplished gunfighter (IPSC) thanks in no small part to myself.

I am a lucky man.

P95Carry

Not so macho?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 05:13:43 PM »
And Sandy is a lucky Mom - we are blessed Larry - and it takes older age sometimes to know just how much Smiley
Chris - P95

Not so macho?
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 05:35:14 PM »
Tears

Folks ususally shed them when I enter a room.  Folks have been know to shed tears of joy when I leave. *grin*

My lacrimal glands have always been sensitive, colder weather they water easy, ragweed tears me up. Allergies seems to settle in my eyes.

Tell anyone I get sentimental, like kids, dogs, trucks and shotguns...I'll deny it. *wink*....*plop*

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Not so macho?
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 04:11:36 AM »
After seeing vetrans from WWII with 'moist eyes', I prefer to be like them and not 'macho'
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Not so macho?
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 05:09:18 AM »
I used to be ashamed of weeping - maybe still am somewhat.  But have become aware, maybe an age thing, that I am affected by many things sufficient to at least moisten eyes and generate that lump in the throat!!
Welcome to the club - I think it comes with age. It probably isn't PC to say so but I believe that the condition results from two things:

1) A reduction in testosterone levels in men as they age - we are whether folks want to acknowledge or not very, very subject to our hormones. 70%

2) Wisdom coupled with a self confidence that results in a "hey, that's how I feel - if you don't like it tough", attitude that permits us older guys to express feelings that younger guys are uncomfortable with. 30%
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

P95Carry

Not so macho?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 05:57:22 AM »
Werewolf - But, but, but - my testosterone levels are still, well - very good!! (considering!) Wink Smiley Cheesy
Chris - P95

critter

Not so macho?
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 06:34:50 AM »
P95, I'm just past the 60 mark too. I don't recognize any tendancy to 'mushy' up any more than I used to, but I've ALWAYS been an old 'softie'. Welcome to the club!

wmenorr67

• friend
Not so macho?
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 07:54:36 AM »
Here I am at 37 and I find myself tearing up more than ever.  Some of it comes from seeing my children growing up and accomplising things.  Other times it comes from seeing what we guys call a "Chick Flick."  But they way I look at it, if you don't like to see a grown man cry, well a man who is older, I refuse to grow up, look the other way.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

grampster

• friend
Not so macho?
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 05:15:14 PM »
At nearly 62, I have noticed that many many things that I used to believe were important, whenever I think of them today, brings a smile to my face rather than a tear.  The things I just knew I never could live without, have not much value when placed in the context of the entirety of my life so far.
Another thing.  I have always allowed myself to experience the full spectrum of the emotions that I have been granted.  Sometimes for good and sometimes not.  Tears can come about for many reasons, joy, sadness, wonder and extreme anger.  I have experienced them all.
Age or seasoning allows one to find the reasons to tear up to be confined mostly to joy and wonder.  Sadness because of loss, for me, is a time of happiness and celebration of what it is that I lost, be it a friend, a pet, health or a myriad of other experiences.  Hard to explain, but maybe some of you understand.  Not sure if I even understand what I mean; I just know.
I'm reading a book called "A Purpose Driven Life".  Not far into it yet as I'm doing as the author suggests, take one chapter a day for 40 days.  One thought struck me especially when I read about joyfully using the things you have been granted.  I think teary eyed anything means that one is deeply involved in joyfully using what one has been granted;  the ability to feel.  One's emotions are a great blessing.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

P95Carry

Not so macho?
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 06:11:27 PM »
I like your thinking Gramp's Smiley
Chris - P95

Stickjockey

• friend
Not so macho?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 01:28:24 PM »
Yup. At 36, I will occasionally get "something in my eye, dammit!". Wink

Last year my sister in law gave me "Band of Brothers" as a Christmas gift. One day, as I was watching the Special Features bit about the real Easy Company, my then-three-year-old son came in and put his elbows on my knee and his chin in his hands, and watched the ending with me. At the last bit, where "Men of Easy" are standing backlit on the rise, the BoB logo over them, and the music playing, my son looked at me and said, "Look, Daddy. Heroes."

Crap like that gets me every time.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Not so macho?
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 02:25:36 PM »
I get mushy occasionally about the kids accomplishments but then again, no one has ever accused me of being macho. Smiley