Author Topic: The Microstamping law: How YOU can help  (Read 3965 times)

Antibubba

• friend
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

wooderson

• friend
Re: The Microstamping law: How YOU can help
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 10:27:33 PM »
What impact does microstamping have from the shooter's POV? Is it simply that the added cost of stamping all parts will essentially kill civilian sales in CA (or is that even an issue)?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:04:10 AM »
What impact? You'd have to police ALL your brass at any range, or Mistah Gangsta could scoop up your brass and toss it out the window of a drive-by, while they have a brasscatcher on their own gun. Then you get the no-knock raid.

Secondly, CA will suffer the same sort of "machinegun price effect" that MA is currently experiencing on used guns. New guns not on the "OK list" can't be sold anymore, so old models that were in the state previous to the law command a premium price. It's not uncommon for people to literally pay twice bluebook rates for an old, used, shot-out Glock (they have to be at least pre-1998) because there aren't anymore. The supply of those is dwindling due to attrition, wear and hoarding of the last few pristine examples. The same will happen with any gun from a maker that refuses to make special models for CA, and I suspect that will be most makers, since it's not profitable for them to make all those changes to their tooling for one highly restricted region of sales. Would you?

And finally, it's only a short hop to further restrictions. After all, they can't have those old C&R guns like 1911s, lacking stamps, coming into the state anymore, can they? I'd expect bans on C&R semiautos next.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »
So, let me get this straight - the gangstas that now file off the serial numbers on their guns and run a file through the barrel to spoil identification, would somehow decide NOT to file off the microstamp on the gun part?

It is all bs to harass legal gunowners. It will make guns more expensive and decrease the variety available. I doubt that it will completely cut off guns from the major manufacturers, because a microstamp will not be that difficult to implement and would not require a total redesign of the gun. Still, they will charge more "for the privilege".

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 08:16:37 AM »
Check the technology being used. They can certainly file off the end of the firing pin/striker if they're so inclined. Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"