Author Topic: Guitars  (Read 1652 times)

natedog

• friend
Guitars
« on: June 28, 2005, 03:48:48 PM »
I'm learning to play the guitar now. I've got a no-name brand "youth" acoustic guitar that was my sisters several years ago. It's smaller and lighter than a regular guitar, and I'm learning to play the basics. I'd like to get an electric soon, though. What brands/styles would you reccomend for a beginner? What is the price range I should be looking at? Thanks.

...has left the building.

Guitars
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 05:28:35 PM »
Well you define a few things such as:

What kind of music are you concentrating on now?
What is your price range?
How big are your hands?
Which ones have you played that you liked?

That's just a few off the top of my head. I used to be a tech in a guitar shop and I've been playing for 10 years now.

natedog

• friend
Guitars
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 05:30:36 PM »
Rock
Let's say under $300 (is that doable?)
Large, I can easily weild a double-stack .45
A friend of mine has a Johnson that sounded pretty good to my inexperienced ears.

Guitars
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 06:01:55 PM »
Cool. I'm partial to the Stratocaster basic shape. I've never been able to play my PRS Custom 22 as well as my Fender Mexi-Strat. I'd recommend playing (note I didn't say buy because you might hate them once you grab onto it) the following:

Fender Standard Strat ~$370
Ibanez RG321 ~$275 (This guitar is VERY easy to play, but might not be since your hands are probably bigger than mine)
And lastly an SG style in the Epiphone G-310 ~$250

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the RG321, Yamaha Handmade classical, and the best Taylor X14CE that I could possibly buy. Go to the shops and try them all, but I think those are three of the best in that price range.

Guitars
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 06:51:27 AM »
Many people pooh-pooh the idea of getting a guitar because someone famous uses it, but if there is an artist whose tone you like, there is no reason not to try one like his.

The amp can be as important as the guitar. I like tube amps. Unless you are going to play for large groups there is no need for an amp with more that about 20-30 watts output. You won't believe how loud a 15 watt amp is in the living room! Smiley

Are you going to play clear or distorted?

Heavy guitars sound good but can be tiring.

When you can see the grain they have to use better wood. Cheaper woods are painted.

For me, low string height over the frets is very important. I like loose strings - .009-.042, or so.

If you don't anticipate using a vibrato tailpiece (whammy bar) don't get one; it will only frustrate tuning.

Name-brand guitars will have a better trade-in value.

Solid-body guitars don't feed back as much as hollow-body ones. Feedback is sometimes used on purpose but can also be irritating.

Some guitarists stick with the same guitar forever; some don't. I don't. Cheesy

Standing Wolf

• friend
Guitars
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 07:47:20 PM »
Whatever you buy, it probably won't be the last: tastes evolve and pay checks grow larger.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Strings

Guitars
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 08:17:33 PM »
And guitars are kinda like guns: they breed in the dark (or, for me, instruments in general)...

This time last year, I had my old BC Rich Gunslinger, an inexpensive violin, and a lap harp in SERIOUS need of rebuilding.. Today, looking around my office, there's a Gibson Les Paul II, two Steinbergers (bass and six string), a Kramer/Ferrington acoustic, the gunslinger, parts for a BC Rich Warlock project, an "A" style mandolin, the harp, and a bouzouki on the way. All get played at some point in any given week (except the harp: it STILL needs rebuilding)...

Go to the store, play everything that looks interesting. Go with what feels best. Don't bother plugging in: you can change the sound via electronics swap anytime...

Guitars
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 08:34:55 AM »
For some reason though, I don't have any desire at all to get different guitars than what I've settled with, except maybe a custom handmade classical.

Iain

• friend
Guitars
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 02:28:44 PM »
Nice Gibson jazz box you've got there - ES175? That's the model with the Florentine cutaway isn't it?

Original poster - I'd get a really clear idea of what you want to be playing. I bought an electric, never liked it and sold it. I've presently got a beat up 1938 Epiphone (pre-Gibson) Olympic acoustic archtop. Bottom of the line when it was introduced, needs work, bugger to play, but it's the funnest guitar I've ever played. Paid little for it in a junk shop 5 years ago.

The only other thing I would add is - have a look at the Yamaha range of electrics. Back when I bought my electric the best value for money was their Pacifica range. Of course, I bought a Fender that I couldn't really afford and never really cared for.

On a sidenote - anyone played any of the Eastman archtops I've heard about? They don't seem to be exporting to the UK just yet. Don't think Tacoma ever exported their archtop either. Smaller market here I assume, but I really want a proper carved, acoustic-first archtop one day.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also