Author Topic: Poor Ellen D, bitten by the rules she forces on us  (Read 4573 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Poor Ellen D, bitten by the rules she forces on us
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:19:19 AM »
Ellen Degeneres, a long-time PETA supporter and animal-rights advocate, has her dog repossessed.  Guess it's not so much fun when bitten in the rear by the "sensible" rules you helped create and force on the rest of us.

DeGeneres under fire for giving away dog
By BETH HARRIS, Associated Press Writer
Today at 9:30 am

Ellen DeGeneres is in the doghouse with a pet rescue agency after giving a pooch away to her hairdresser because it didn't get along with her cats.

The talk show hostess and her partner Portia de Rossi adopted Iggy, a Brussels Griffon mix, on Sept. 20. But when things didn't work out, DeGeneres gave the dog to her hairdresser.

In doing so, DeGeneres violated an agreement with the Mutts and Moms dog rescue agency by not informing them of the handoff.

When the agency called DeGeneres to ask about Iggy, she said she found another home for the dog. The agency sent a representative to the hairdresser's home Sunday and took the dog away.

DeGeneres went public about the situation Monday while taping an episode of her show to air Tuesday. She admitted she didn't read all the paperwork involving the adoption.

DeGeneres said she spent $3,000 having the dog neutered and trained to be with her cats. But the dog had too much energy and was too rambunctious, she told her television audience.

"I guess I signed a piece of paper that says if I can't keep Iggy, it goes back to the rescue organization, which is not someone's home, which is not a family," she said in a show transcript provided to The Associated Press.

"I thought I did a good thing. I tried to find a loving home for the dog because I couldn't keep it."

DeGeneres said her hairdresser's daughters, ages 11 and 12, had bonded with Iggy and were heartbroken when the dog was taken away.

"Because I did it wrong, those people went and took that dog out of their home, and took it away from those kids," a sobbing DeGeneres said on her show.

"I feel totally responsible for it and I'm so sorry. I'm begging them to give that dog back to that family," she said. "It's not their fault. It's my fault. I shouldn't have given the dog away. Just please give the dog back to those little girls."

Mutts and Moms, a volunteer nonprofit organization in Pasadena, does not have a listed phone number and didn't immediately respond to an e-mail request for comment.

Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Paddy

Re: Poor Ellen D, bitten by the rules she forces on us
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:23:41 AM »
Hoisted by her own petard, as it were.  laugh

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:28:11 AM »
As much as I don't care for Ellen D (don't really care about her one way or another) she actually only violated an agreement she made with Mutts and Moms, which really has nothing to do with us.

In doing so, DeGeneres violated an agreement with the Mutts and Moms dog rescue agency by not informing them of the handoff.

Why is this news?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:49:13 AM »
Because the similarity to the anti gun famous people that also have armed body guards is pretty clear?

It will allow "gunners" to look at a similar situation and maybe get ideas about why we think the way we do, and idea on how to fight the issue.

Think of it metiphorically (if I spelled that correctly, I'm going to be amazed).
One day at a time.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:52:24 AM »
So she's a moron who can't read a contract. Most breeders make the purchaser sign a Right of First Refusal, that they reserve the right to buy the animal back if the buyer doesn't want it. Apparently the shelter did as well.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:06:30 AM »
When we adopted our dog, there was similar wording in the agreement.

Chris

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 11:06:43 AM »
This has ****-all to do with us.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »
The agency sent a representative to the hairdresser's home Sunday and took the dog away.

How the hell do they get away with that ?  angry

The family she gave the dog to had signed no agreement with anybody.  The "representative" came and stole the dog.  The family should have told the "representative" to get the hell off their property and then slammed the door in his/her face.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 12:48:24 PM »
Yawn.  Ellen is funny. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 01:33:07 PM »
Reminds me of something mom used to say at times like this: "You want to CRY!?! I'LL give you something to CRY about!!"

Mom was great like that...  rolleyes

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 02:10:11 PM »
This has ****-all to do with us.
Yeah, but it's funny.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 02:25:44 PM »
All your dog belong to us.   police
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 02:32:09 PM »
The agency sent a representative to the hairdresser's home Sunday and took the dog away.

How the hell do they get away with that ?  angry

The family she gave the dog to had signed no agreement with anybody.  The "representative" came and stole the dog.  The family should have told the "representative" to get the hell off their property and then slammed the door in his/her face.
Ummm ... nope.

If you receive stolen property, the item remains the property of the rightful owner and can be taken from you and returned to the rightful owner at any time. If you paid money for the stolen item ... if you're lucky, you'll stay out of jail, and maybe even get your money back.

Same thing here. By signing a contract, EG agreed that if she didn't keep the dog it reverted to the shelter. In other words, once she didn't want the dog, the shelter became the rightful owner. They didn't "steal" anything -- they recovered possession of their property.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 02:55:57 PM »
The strange thing to me was the silly reason she gave up the dog. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
If you receive stolen property, the item remains the property of the rightful owner and can be taken from you and returned to the rightful owner at any time.

The property (dog) was not stolen from the pet place.

If there was a violation of the contract with Ellen Degenerate, then that is a civil matter, and the pet place would need to sue to try to enforce the contract.

In the meantime, they can keep their grimy hands off the dog and their grimy feet off the new dog family's property.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 04:33:43 PM »
Mutts and Moms
Sounds like a bunch of bitches.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 09:35:52 PM »
Actually, if it were discussed all the way through (which it won't be, because that would take longer than a 30-second sound bite), it really sets PETA back, because it acknowledges that the dog is property, and not a "person" with rights of it's own, like deciding who it wanted to live with.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 07:30:43 AM »
Actually, if it were discussed all the way through (which it won't be, because that would take longer than a 30-second sound bite), it really sets PETA back, because it acknowledges that the dog is property, and not a "person" with rights of it's own, like deciding who it wanted to live with.

And, just like property but unlike people, you can dispose of unwanted animals as you wish - even when the reason is something as silly as 'the dog had too much energy'.

jnojr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 09:38:13 AM »

And, just like property but unlike people, you can dispose of unwanted animals as you wish - even when the reason is something as silly as 'the dog had too much energy'.

...except when you sign a legally-binding contract stating that you will not do so.

There's a reason why rescues put verbiage like this into their contracts.  I'll give an example... I used to foster dogs for Pit Bull Rescue San Diego  One of the dogs in the program was a blind old guy named Homer.  He was eventually placed, and all was well... until I saw a post in the free Craigslist section for a blind pit bull.  It was hard enough to get someone to adopt him in the first place... what would have happened to that poor dog if someone got him for free, on a whim?  How soon before he might have been abandoned, or dumped at the shelter to be killed?  How likely is it that someone would pick up a "free" dog for bait, torture, or to sell for medical experimentation?

If you wind up with a rescue dog, and try to keep him/her even though s/he belongs to the rescue, I can guarantee the police will be the next ones knocking on the door, and telling them to go to hell and slamming the door in their face won't work out quite the way you'd like.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 11:43:30 AM »
"Mutts & Moms" are not the police, and the family that received the dog had signed no contract.

I didn't know the cops were so bored as to spend time on dog repossessing - heck, you can't even get them to evict somebody from your house without a court order.

But, what do I know...?  Maybe there's a whole new career path available here, that of "Dog Ninja".  You get to dress up in tactical black and sneak into back yards to recover Rover  laugh

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 01:42:06 PM »
I wonder how Portia is taking all this? (Talk about a WASTE!   shocked )

laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
Tallpine, it doesn't matter whether the new "owners" signed a contract. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 06:11:03 PM »
...except when you sign a legally-binding contract stating that you will not do so.

Exactly.  I was simply making an example.

If you tried to give away a baby for 'having too much energy', you'd most likely be looking at jail/prison time.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 08:37:44 PM »
If you tried to give away a baby for 'having too much energy', you'd most likely be looking at jail/prison time.

A good defense attorney would put other young parents on the jury.  Good chance they'd walk. Wink
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

nico

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 04:51:37 AM »
fwiw, the story I saw on the news last night said the cops were involved, and that the rescue people were allowed to take the dog because the implanted microchip still said the dog was theirs. 

It bugs me that ellen is being painted as the good guy in this, when (especially with the audio tapes coming out) it's a pretty clear case of a celebrity expecting the rules to be bent for her.