Author Topic: Water filtration system?  (Read 1130 times)

Water filtration system?
« on: June 28, 2005, 09:30:16 PM »
I've got a R/O unit that needs some membrane replacement and am considering either repairing it or getting a distillation system. That covers drinking water. I'm on city water, and I'd like to filter the chlorine, and the basement whole-house filters look pretty good to me meaning I don't have to get and maintain filters for sinks, showers, tubs, etc.

Thoughts?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Water filtration system?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 04:32:09 AM »
Distillation systems require a lot of energy to work.

They also produce chemically flat water -- no minerals or anything -- which can make the water taste absolutely flat and lifeless. If you want a BAD cup of coffee, brew a pot with distilled water.

The whole house systems that use 1 or 2 activated carbon filters are good systems, and you don't really have to spend a lot of money unless you're trying to remove iron, lead, or some organic chemicals, which should be less of an issue with city water.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

enfield

• http://www.delightfulproducts.com
Water filtration system?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 11:55:02 AM »
I've used distillation, deionization and RO and am happiest with the RO system.  I'm happiest that I found Honeywell RO systems on clearance at Home Depot several years ago for $70 each.  I bought 3.
- enfield

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.