Author Topic: New WTC design made public  (Read 2351 times)

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
New WTC design made public
« on: June 29, 2005, 04:53:50 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/29/wtc.tower.redesign/index.html

Frankly, I think this design looks pretty uninspired (sic.)

There was a PBS documentary on the fight between the two architects who were trying to redesign the WTC. What we have here is the worst of both.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Preacherman

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 05:24:43 AM »
Looks a bit like an electric screwdriver, with the TV tower serving as the driving bit...
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

onions!

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 06:25:56 AM »
It looks like the square needle my Doc threatens me with.Sad

RaggedClaws

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 06:32:54 AM »
It is better than those two hugely out-of-scale borg cubes we had before.  At least the style kind of melds into the downtown skyline better.  The old towers just stuck out like two gigantic rectangular sore thumbs.

onions!

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 08:35:26 AM »
I'd like to see someone w/Photoshop skills put a King Kong up there.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 09:38:21 AM »
Ragged Claws said: "It is better than those two hugely out-of-scale borg cubes we had before.  At least the style kind of melds into the downtown skyline better.  The old towers just stuck out like two gigantic rectangular sore thumbs."

They may not have been attractive on the outside, but the entire World Trade Center complex was a damned pretty place on the inside to hang out.  All the way from the ferry landing, through the concourse, out to the plaza and onto the street, I enjoyed spending time there.  I still boil with rage that some ---whatevers--- saw fit to destroy it.  For what???

Why do anything?

Putting something in to replace what those bastards destroyed seems to me to be too much of a feel-good measure.  Id rather see the emptiness on the lower Manhattan skyline.  That way, I am constantly reminded that the world is not always a nice place and evil must be resisted.
To the stars!

RaggedClaws

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 09:50:17 AM »
Typhoon, I completely agree.  The inside of the WTC was awesome, and the whole complex was just an engineering marvel.  The aesthetics of the buildings themselves on the other hand, left alot to be desired in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong, I still shake with rage when I think about the towers' destruction and the people I knew that spent the last few moments of their lives there.  That said, they just didn't "fit" with the rest of the skyline, and they dwarfed the Woolworth building (my second favorite building in the city after the Chrysler building) into non-existence.  Nowadays, the Woolworth building is front and center.

I would also prefer that they didn't build some new gigantic building there.  A relatively small memorial would be nice, but another mega sky scraper, no thanks.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 10:50:53 AM »
I think they should rebuild it like it was,only taller, so that the towers are the tallest in the world.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 11:31:36 AM »
I liked the replacement building design that was going around in the fall/winter of 2001-02.

That proposal had four towers in a row: three shorter towers, with one about twice as tall in the middle Tongue
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

P95Carry

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 06:19:44 PM »
Not a very useful input here but I was reminded of a poster I made up not so long ago - a sorta salute to old WTC in one respect - and a thought that followed.  A replacement will have to be good tho like some I'd tend to still leave the space, except for some very low and subtle building.

Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 07:20:44 PM »
The old towers just stuck out like two gigantic rectangular sore thumbs.
As a general rule, the larger, the uglier in architecture. That's not true of people, but does seem to be true of the structures we build.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 09:20:29 PM »
Myself, I rather preferred the idea of rebuilding exactly as they were, or perhaps the same but taller. thumbing our noses at those responsible, so to speak. But I'm that way. Stubborn. Probably some inherent psychological problem, some masochistic desire, or some such. Ah, well.
Hi.