Author Topic: SCOTUS retirements..what is it's future  (Read 1436 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
SCOTUS retirements..what is it's future
« on: July 01, 2005, 05:23:31 AM »
A lot of talk is floating now that it looks like Sandra Day O'Connor's retirement is imminent. *edit.. its official. she resigned*
And we have known that Renquist is in poor health and is most likely going to be resigning within a few years too.

Do you think its possible for Bush to replace two SCOTUS members before '08?
Considering the battle the administration faced just trying to get Appeals court judges.

I think O'Connor leaving would have more of an effect than Renquist. Since her vote has been the swing vote so many times, on both good and bad decisions.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Preacherman

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 06:10:06 AM »
Yes, I think Bush has every prospect of doing so, even if this involves invoking the "nuclear option" to disrupt filibuster attempts.  I hope and pray that he'll pick good men and women to serve on the Court, as they'll have a vast influence on our society during their term, and the wrong choices will be very bad for us.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 06:20:16 AM »
He'll likely have three bites at the SCOTUS apple:
O'Connor
Rhenquist
JP Stevens (84 or 85 years young!)

Now that individual accounts for Soc Sec are likely to fail, the War on Militant Islam & his SCOTUS appts are likely to be his legacy.  If he screws the appts up*, the Republicans can kiss their ruling majorities goodbye.  

* Screw Up - Appoints some milquetoast, weasely "moderate" who'll drift left...like O'Connor, Ginsburg, etc.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 06:31:25 AM »
There's a 'leak' from the White House that Gonzales is going to be Bush's nominee to replace O'Connor.  That's going to be a tough road for the conservative base, but the liberals may have exhausted themselves in the fight against him as AG.
I think Renquist will be only off the bench when he leaves feet first.

As for me, I'd like to see Edith Brown Clement (5thCir, N.O) on the Bench.

Interesting read from Novak.  http://www.townhall.com/columnists/robertnovak/rn20050627.shtml

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein