Author Topic: Career Army man to challenge Murtha  (Read 5077 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Career Army man to challenge Murtha
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:48:48 PM »
Now is the time to help and encourage theis guy.

Career Army man to challenge Murtha
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_301003334.html
BY MIKE FAHER
The Tribune-Democrat

After nearly three decades in the military, William T. Russells latest mission has brought him to Johnstown.

The career Army man, just two years short of retirement, has left the service and moved to the Flood City in order to mount a political campaign against veteran Democratic U.S. Rep. John Murtha.

As a Republican and first-time candidate facing a powerful congressman in the sprawling, Democrat-dominated 12th Congressional District, Russell faces a tough challenge.

But he is determined to press ahead and will formally announce his candidacy within weeks.

I recognize this is an uphill battle, Russell said in an interview last week at The Tribune-Democrat.

But its one that must be fought.

Murtha, who declined any comment on Russells candidacy when contacted through a spokesman last week, has served in the House since 1974.

The 75-year-old is known for bringing money and jobs  especially in the defense sector  to his district, and last year he became chairman of the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee.

But Murthas repeated calls for a military withdrawal from Iraq and his criticism of the Bush administration have spurred a backlash among conservatives.

Republican Diana Irey, a Washington County commissioner, tried to capitalize on that sentiment during her 2006 campaign against Murtha. But the congressman cruised to victory.

Russell, 45, is betting on a different result next year. He readily acknowledges that he moved to Johnstown from the Washington, D.C., area specifically so that he could run in the 12th District.

Murtha is a decorated Vietnam War veteran. But Russell also has extensive military credentials.

Born on an Air Force base in Newfoundland, Canada, Russells long Army and Army Reserve career includes duty in the Balkans and in both Iraq wars.

Russell and his wife, Kasia, were in the Pentagon when a hijacked jetliner crashed into the building on Sept. 11, 2001. They escaped unharmed.

While Murthas encounters with wounded soldiers have solidified his stance on Iraq, Russell said a similar encounter left him with the opposite impression: To withdraw from Iraq, he argues, would render the sacrifices of those soldiers pointless.

I think Mr. Murtha is just flat-out wrong, Russell said.

The Republican also cites, as Irey did, Murthas public accusation that U.S. Marines murdered innocent civilians in the Iraq town of Haditha in 2005.

The congressman, Russell contends, is playing right into the hands of this enemy.

On his Web site, Russell takes that line of thought a step further and attempts to raise the stakes for next years election.

In this war against Islamic radicalism, the political battle of the 2008 election in the Pennsylvania 12th Congressional District is a critical turning point, he said.

Russells platform is not limited to the Iraq issue.

He seeks to turn a long history of substantial economic clout against Murtha, arguing that the congressman is an extreme practitioner of cronyism who has not created long-term, sustainable jobs in this area.

As a small-business owner who operates an ATM company, Russell says he wants to help create a local economy that is more dependent on the free market  while also acknowledging that some jobs may be lost if governmental contracts disappear.

A lot of folks have gotten very, very dependent on this pork structure, Russell said.

Russell still has significant hurdles to clear before he can legitimately challenge Murtha. Political support is one issue.

It is not yet clear whether Russell will have any primary-election opposition from within his party. Irey last week would say only that she is focused on her current campaign for Washington County commissioner.

Russell has met with local Republican leaders, who are not wading into the Murtha race just yet.

Right now, were focused on the Nov. 6 election, said Ann Wilson, Cambria County Republican Committee executive director. Its too early to comment on the 2008 election.

Adequate fundraising also is a concern, though Russell said he hopes to buttress campaign cash with significant grassroots support.

Theres a lot of folks who might not have a whole lot of money to throw at a campaign but can donate some time and effort, he said. And Im getting a lot of those types of promises.

Desertdog

• friends
Re: Career Army man to challenge Murtha
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:52:03 PM »

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:46:22 PM »
Russell has one thing going against him, Murtha brings home the bacon, as in PORK!! Murtha has essentially rebuilt Johnstown at the taxpayer's expense.

MURTHA INC.
How Lawmaker Rebuilt
Hometown on Earmarks
Johnstown Gets Billions
With Power Broker's Aid;
FBI Questions a Contract
By JOHN R. WILKE
October 30, 2007; Page A1

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. -- If John Murtha were a businessman, he'd be the biggest employer in this town.

The powerful U.S. congressman has used his clout on Capitol Hill to create thousands of jobs and steer billions of dollars in federal spending to help his hometown in western Pennsylvania recover from devastating floods and the flight of its steelmakers.

More is on the way. In the massive 2008 military-spending bill now before Congress -- which could go to a House-Senate conference as soon as Thursday -- Mr. Murtha has steered more taxpayer funds to his congressional district than any other member. The Democratic lawmaker is chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense, which will oversee more than $459 billion in military spending this year.

Johnstown's good fortune has come at the expense of taxpayers everywhere else. Defense contractors have found that if they open an office here and hire the right lobbyist, they can get lucrative, no-bid contracts. Over the past decade, Concurrent Technologies Corp., a defense-research firm that employs 800 here, got hundreds of millions of dollars thanks to Rep. Murtha despite poor reviews by Pentagon auditors. The National Drug Intelligence Center, with 300 workers, got $509 million, though the White House has tried for years to shut it down as wasteful and unnecessary. Another beneficiary: MTS Technologies, run by a man who got his start some 40 years ago shining shoes at Mr. Murtha's Johnstown Minute Car Wash.

A review by The Wall Street Journal of dozens of such contracts funded by Mr. Murtha's committee shows that many weren't sought by the military or federal agencies they were intended to benefit. Some were inefficient or mismanaged, according to interviews, public records and previously unpublished Pentagon audits. One Murtha-backed firm, ProLogic Inc., is under federal investigation for allegedly diverting public funds to develop commercial software, people close to the case say. The company denies wrongdoing and is in line to get millions of dollars more in the pending defense bill.

More Here
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 05:08:32 AM »
Anything Russell spends on his campaign might as well be heaped up and set on fire.  He has no chance against Murtha in that district.  I'm also not particularly fond of people who move into a district just to run for office.  Hillary Clinton did the same thing.  Pity she won.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 07:11:06 AM »
I would hope that Russell wins, but I don't see it happening. Murtha is an embarrassment to the uniform he wore.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 07:30:25 AM »
My hope is that people will get sick and tired enough to actually send somebody else to Washington.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 09:58:29 AM »
If he had "almost 3 decades of service" he was not "2 years short of retirement" as the article states. He was just short of the better 30 year retirement plan.

And Murtha is an abscess on the ass of the service. He is to the military what Jack Chick is to Christians.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Joe Demko

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 01:03:50 PM »
I don't agree with Jack Murtha on everything; but he represented me in Washington DC for a good part of my youth so I'm familiar with him.  I'll tell you this:  He knows his constituents and (bringing home the pork aside) genuinely represents their interests in DC.  This fellow challenging him?  Who the hell is he?  Apparently his only reason to run is he disagrees with Jack Murtha's stance on the Iraq goatf**k.  Any idiot that would vote for him on that basis is idiot enough to deserve what comes of it if this dufus gets elected.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 03:33:04 PM »
So you would vote for Murtha because he takes more money from other people and gives it to you?  Great.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »
thats how pork works   i get mine screw the rest

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »
If he had "almost 3 decades of service" he was not "2 years short of retirement" as the article states. He was just short of the better 30 year retirement plan.

It did say part of his service was in the Reserves, so he may not have enough total active duty time to retire.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »
When I was in the Reserves, an enlisted person could stop with 20 years of active and/or reserve combination, drawing a pension at 62.

I never heard what an enlisted person or officer obtaind at 30 years, other than a larger pension.  If he doesn't get elected to the Senate he can probably go back to the Reserves for his last 2 years.

Joe Demko

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 03:08:18 AM »
So you would vote for Murtha because he takes more money from other people and gives it to you?  Great.

Read what I wrote, not what you wish I wrote.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 06:05:13 PM »

Uh.  This guy has zero chance.  Murtha was elected from 1968 until 1974 for the PA House, and from 1974 until present in the US House.  Next year it'll be 40 years of continuous successful elections for him.  Diana Irey was the most successful person to run against him, she lost 61%-39%. 

In a bit of a tradition for PA Dems, he's also strongly pro-gun.  As far as I know, the NRA has always given him an A on their election scorecard.   He voted against NAFTA and CAFTA.  Voted against McCainFeingold Act too, actually. 

And Murtha is an abscess on the ass of the service. He is to the military what Jack Chick is to Christians.

Ironically, traditionally he's always been seen as the Pentagon's voice in Congress.  Go figure.  Pick up a copy of "State of Denial: Bush at War, Part III" by Woodward.  Read the section on Murtha and Abizaid.  Don't confuse the 'politically correct' with history.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 08:03:38 AM »
Hmmm, I may have been thinking of that Stark fellow. Who was the one that made the drunken-sounding speech about el presidente blowing kids heads off for his own amusement?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 04:03:28 PM »
Hmmm, I may have been thinking of that Stark fellow. Who was the one that made the drunken-sounding speech about el presidente blowing kids heads off for his own amusement?

Na. You're probably thinking of Murtha.  He opened the question of redeploment of troops out of the theater, and the administration's cronies tried to label him a coward.  Surprisingly, it didn't work.  They previously had successfully painted Max Cleland, who had similiar reservations on Iraq, a "cut and run coward".  Which is impressive as Max lost three limbs in Khe Sanh due to an M26 grenade.  Politics is nasty business, where the saints are the sinners and the cowards are the brave.

He also was attacked because he said the following regarding Haditha, "Now, you can imagine the impact this is going to have on those troops for the rest of their lives and for the United States in our war and our effort in trying to win the hearts and minds."  This was in regards to an initial report, which has been since questioned but was still issued by the USMC.  A lot of folks have said nothing happened in Haditha, but the USMC has since charged a Staff Sgt with 12 counts of unpremeditated murder.  His trial is still ongoing.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 08:23:18 AM »
Rev:

Don't leave out the great number of jarheads found to be innocent of the Haditha charges. 

I would bet Haditha ends up an Iraqi Jenin, given the number of charges that have stuck versus the number of charges that have not.

WRT Cleland, his opponents did not call him a coward*, they did worse: they publicized his voting record and transcripts of his statements.  Those were enough for Georgia voters to give Max the boot.

* I am sure someone, somewhere did call him a coward.  I would bet dollars to donuts that such accusations appeared in no opposition commercials or literature form the candidate, the RNC, or thier proxies.  There was no need, when his record was so damning.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton