Author Topic: Even Harvard Finds The Media Biased  (Read 3719 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Even Harvard Finds The Media Biased
« on: November 02, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »
We knew this fact, but it is nice to see it someplace in the news.

Even Harvard Finds The Media Biased
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY
http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=278808786575124

Journalism: The debate is over. A consensus has been reached. On global warming? No, on how Democrats are favored on television, radio and in the newspapers.
Just like so many reports before it, a joint survey by the Project for Excellence in Journalism and Harvard's Joan Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy  hardly a bastion of conservative orthodoxy  found that in covering the current presidential race, the media are sympathetic to Democrats and hostile to Republicans.

Democrats are not only favored in the tone of the coverage. They get more coverage period. This is particularly evident on morning news shows, which "produced almost twice as many stories (51% to 27%) focused on Democratic candidates than on Republicans."

The most flagrant bias, however, was found in newspapers. In reviewing front-page coverage in 11 newspapers, the study found the tone positive in nearly six times as many stories about Democrats as it was negative.

Breaking it down by candidates, the survey found that Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were the favorites. "Obama's front page coverage was 70% positive and 9% negative, and Clinton's was similarly 61% positive and 13% negative."

In stories about Republicans, on the other hand, the tone was positive in only a quarter of the stories; in four in 10 it was negative.

The study also discovered that newspaper stories "tended to be focused more on political matters and less on issues and ideas than the media overall. In all, 71% of newspaper stories concentrated on the 'game,' compared with 63% overall."

Television has a similar problem. Only 10% of TV stories were focused on issues, and here, too, Democrats get the better of it.

Reviewing 154 stories on evening network newscasts over the course of 109 weeknights, the survey found that Democrats were presented in a positive light more than twice as often as they were portrayed as negative. Positive tones for Republicans were detected in less than a fifth of stories while a negative tone was twice as common.

The gap between Democrats and Republicans narrows on cable TV, but it's there nonetheless. Stories about Democrats were positive in more than a third of the cases, while Republicans were portrayed favorably in fewer than 29%. Republican led in unfriendly stories 30.4% to 25.5%.

CNN was the most hostile toward Republicans, MSNBC, surprisingly, the most positive. MSNBC was also the most favorable toward Democrats (47.2%), Fox (36.8%) the most critical.

The anti-GOP attitude also lives on National Public Radio's "Morning Edition." There, Democrats were approvingly covered more than a third as often as Republicans. Negative coverage of Democrats was a negligible 5.9%. It seemed to be reserved for Republicans, who were subject to one-fifth of the program's disparaging reports.

Even talk radio, generally considered a bastion of conservatism, has been relatively rough on the GOP. On conservative shows, Obama got more favorable treatment (27.8%) than Rudy Giuliani (25%). Sen. John McCain got a 50% favorability rating while Mitt Romney led the three GOP candidates with 66.7%.

The PEG-Shorenstein effort is only the latest to conclude that the mainstream media tilt left. Others include Stanley Rothman and Robert Lichter's groundbreaking 1986 book "The Media Elite"; "A Measure of Media Bias," a 2005 paper written by professors from UCLA and the University of Missouri; and Bernard Goldberg's two books, "Bias" and "Arrogance." All underscore the media's leftward leanings.

The media, of course, insist they are careful to keep personal opinions out of their coverage. But the facts tell another story  one that can't be edited or spiked.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Even Harvard Finds The Media Biased
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:54:04 PM »
In other news, Harvard Researchers discover water is wet and fire is hot.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 04:12:32 AM »
I wonder how much it cost the taxpayers in government grants to Harvard to find out what most of them alrerady knew?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 04:18:13 AM »
I wonder how much it cost the taxpayers in government grants to Harvard to find out what most of them alrerady knew?

Silly boy, we didn't pay for it, the government did. [/sarcasm] rolleyes
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 01:58:36 PM »
This is definitely not a waste of money.  When bias-deniers speak up, we need hard data to show them what is so obvious to the rest of us. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »
Yeah, but will it change anything?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 05:33:28 PM »
Things are changing already.  The media has begun to admit their bias.  That is significant progress in itself. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 09:28:12 AM »
Harvard isn't all bad. They actually have a shooting club, believe it or not.  It still has a bit of its roots, not as bad as Berkeley.
And the campus centerpiece is still a stern-looking man in Puritan clothing, not some obscene "art" project.

Awesome natural history museum, too. It's oooooold, Victorian in age, and looks like you'd expect to see Indiana Jones come around a corner at any time.

AFAIK, a lot of their money comes from private foundations and tuition income, not the government. VERY expensive school.