Author Topic: Corruption in DC? Just 16 million...  (Read 4349 times)

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Corruption in DC? Just 16 million...
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:36:12 PM »
D.C. rocked by public corruption scandal

More than 100 federal and local law enforcement agents executed seven search warrants in D.C. and Maryland, arresting five people, including city employees Harriette Walters, 51, manager of the D.C. Real Property Tax Administration Adjustments Unit, and Diane Gustus, 54, an employee in the department. The three others arrested were friends and family members of the arrested city employees.

Fallout from the scandal resulted in the resignation of four top managers in the Office of Tax and Revenue, the agency in charge of collecting and keeping track of the citys money.

The charges rocked the city government Wednesday.

It is disappointing to see such a glaring hole in our accounting system, said City Councilman David Catania. The fault lies with our chief accounting officer.

Chief Financial Officer Natwar Gandhi, whose employees were charged with the theft, took responsibility, while attempting to downplay the overall effect of the revelations. It is important to emphasize that this unfortunate incident does not compromise the financial stability and viability of the district, Gandhi said in a statement late Wednesday.

But the depth of the loss to the city may not yet be fully known.

U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Taylor said he expected investigators to find more fraudulent checks and said more arrests were possible, calling the conspiracy an intricate, massive scheme.

When you have a determined group of people, Taylor said, they can defeat any [audit] system.

During the police sweeps Wednesday, agents recovered more than $4 million in cash, fur coats, jewelry and designer bags worth thousands of dollars, plus several vehicles, including a 2005 Bentley.

Some of the money was used to buy homes and go on spending sprees, with Walters spending more than $1.4 million at Neiman Marcus since 2, charging documents said. Walters was earning $81,000 and Gustus $55,000 from the city government, officials said.

According to court filings, Walters, Gustus and other D.C. government employees made fraudulent property tax refund requests to issue 42 checks averaging $388,000 each over a three-year period. The checks were laundered through bank accounts controlled by Walters relatives and distributed to co-conspirators, family members and other D.C. government employees who have not been charged, documents said.

The investigation was started in July by federal investigators in Maryland after a bank employee noticed financial irregularities with large checks generated by the D.C. government. City employees created fake tax refund requests from actual D.C. property owners, according to federal charging documents. But the refund requests called for large checks to be made out to a co-payee who was one of the conspirators, federal authorities said.

Staff Writers Bill Myers and Michael Neibauer contributed to this story.

smccabe@dcexaminer.com

dc examiNation and poll: What do you think about the biggest corruption case to hit D.C.?

And they tell us they can manage "illegal" guns?
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

HankB

• friend
Re: Corruption in DC? Just 16 million...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 03:43:33 AM »
Embezzling $$$ in such a way that a paper trail leads right back to you or your family (" . . . the checks were laundered through bank accounts controlled by Walters relatives . . . ") is not the mark of a high intellect.

The dishonesty of these government workers doesn't concern me as much as their stupidity . . . government really must be hiring from the bottom tier of society.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:47:44 AM »
And they tell us they can manage "illegal" guns?

Maybe they're afraid the workers and peasants will unite in anger.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:33:51 AM »
Ya know, if I were to ever embezzle money, I certainly wouldnt spend an average of $200,000 a year at a designer store.

In fact, I think it would go somewhere it couldn't be found, compounding interest until the day I simply disappeared.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 11:10:30 AM »
The dishonesty of these government workers doesn't concern me as much as their stupidity . . . government really must be hiring from the bottom tier of society.
And that surprises you?Huh?

Why would any honest person interested in doing the best job possible in the most efficient and cost effective way ever consider working for the government (the armed forces being the exception)?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 08:01:15 AM »
And that surprises you?Huh?

Why would any honest person interested in doing the best job possible in the most efficient and cost effective way ever consider working for the government (the armed forces being the exception)?

Also a monopoly in the realm of prosecution.  Batman does seem to make the private practice work for him tho...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 12:36:16 PM »
20 mill or more now

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 01:16:15 AM »
government really must be hiring from the bottom tier of society.

Let me amend that:
"D.C. government really must be hiring from the bottom tier of society."

Yes. Yes, they are.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 04:39:27 AM »
They're now thinking that it might go as high as 30 million.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 05:23:07 AM »
par for dc

beatnik

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:08:05 AM »
Yep, par for DC. 
We're talking about a place where you can generally get a hot pizza faster than an a police response.
Any place where that's possible is probably going to be OK with the occasional multi-million dollar embezzling scheme.

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 10:13:17 AM »
as frightening as this might seem i was used to correcting the spelling etc for cops when i hada deal with em in dc and get reports