Author Topic: Jim Crow at my old high school  (Read 4093 times)

Kyle

Jim Crow at my old high school
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:09:06 AM »
I graduated from this high school in 2005. And I can tell you, im not suprised at somthing this goofy coming out of that circus. If you werent in GT/AP classes, the teachers there were just full-time babysitters. Which is no small feat; it wasnt easy to keep the constant racial tension, gang violence and general delinquency under control.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5751190

(11/08/07 - KTRK/MISSOURI CITY, TX) - It's a high school shocker -- water fountains found labeled for "whites" and "colored." Was it an innocent prank? It's a sign of previous times that is stirring up emotion in Fort Bend County.

The handmade signs were only posted on the wall at Hightower High School for a matter of minutes, but many here feel that being posted for only a matter of seconds is far too long.

Fort Bend ISD police took a photo of the water fountains Wednesday afternoon inside Hightower High School. It's something you might expect to see in the 1960s, not 2007.

Two water fountains each had a handwritten sign above. One read "whites" and the other read "colored."

"Anybody would find that offensive," said Alice Gibson, aunt of a Hightower student. "Wouldn't you?"

"It would be interesting to see what was the kid's motivation," said Robert Ina, father of a Hightower student.

Campus police say they caught a 16-year-old student in the act of hanging the signs. School officials sent a letter home to parents on Thursday describing what had happened. The letter also explained that the teen was cited for allegedly committing a class C misdemeanor for disorderly conduct by an offensive gesture.

Nearly 57% of the students at Hightower High School are African American, and so is the student who stands accused of putting the signs on the wall. Some say that doesn't make this act any less offensive.

"A slur is a slur," said Gibson.

Hightower student Nefertari Edwards said, "Some people might have seen it as a joke, but it really wasn't that funny."

These signs come at a time of heightened racial sensitivity, especially because of nooses recently found at Pearland High School and in Jena, Louisiana. Still, some say what happened here does not equate to hate.

Ina said, "I don't think that it was anything to be racially motivated. I think it was just that there's so much of this going on across the country that some kid thought he could get a laugh out of it, probably."

Most everyone here agrees, though, that these signs and what they represent is no laughing matter.

"We all know," Gibson explained. "We all know that we really must be politically correct. No matter what you think, keep it to yourself."

Fort Bend ISD officials say the student wouldn't tell them what his motivation was. He has been suspended from school for three days. If convicted in court, he could be forced to pay a fine of up to $500.
(Copyright ? 2007, KTRK-TV) 

I especialy like the quote from the mom at the end.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Re: Jim Crow at my old high school
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »
The incident related in the OP is one that is becoming more and more common and is one of the reasons that I believe that within the next 50 or so years there will be a  race war in the US.

The stupid multiculturalists just don't get it that multiculturalism and hyphenated names pigeon hole people into groups. Groups that celebrate their differences from other groups. Human nature being what it is, people don't like what's different; they fear it. Eventually the differences will create enough friction to lead to open warfare between the various groups.

History proves this. For the US it is not a matter of if but when.

We're not African Americans or Asian Americans or European Americans. We're all just plain ole AMERICANS and should be celebrating ourselves as such. If we don't eventually we will not be any kind of American except dead American or conquered American or slave American.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »
. . . Nearly 57% of the students at Hightower High School are African American, and so is the student who stands accused of putting the signs on the wall . . . Fort Bend ISD officials say the student wouldn't tell them what his motivation was.
If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the motivation was to demonstrate the racist hatred that emanates from the white devils who certainly are the ones who put up the signs, as some sick attempt at bigoted humor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:38:57 PM »
Sounds like a dumb joke to me.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:16:29 PM »
My money is on some kids who think racism is rebellious and cool.  I've known the type. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:00:23 PM »
"I don't think that it was anything to be racially motivated.

Of course it wasn't.  Now, if the kid who did this was white, then it would be racially motivated.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:21:48 PM »
The letter also explained that the teen was cited for allegedly committing a class C misdemeanor for disorderly conduct by an offensive gesture.

Anybody else catch this???
Umm... WTF? A misdemeanor for putting up paper signs that offend someone???
Hi.

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:16:26 PM »
How can something that refers to race not be about race?

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 06:57:21 AM »
The letter also explained that the teen was cited for allegedly committing a class C misdemeanor for disorderly conduct by an offensive gesture.

Anybody else catch this???
Umm... WTF? A misdemeanor for putting up paper signs that offend someone???

Can't have someone offending someone else.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 11:03:05 AM »
How can something that refers to race not be about race?

It might be like finding out that somebody is sensitive about having to wear glasses, having to have braces, etc...

Then the little snot goes after that weakness, even if he doesn't personally care about it.

The snot just figured out that the whole school has a thing about race, so he's exploiting it.

Given the careful lack of mention about his race, I wonder what color he is?  Given that they were offended by it, not hailing it 'as a reminder of racism past', I'm guessing european.

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 11:10:13 AM »
Nearly 57% of the students at Hightower High School are African American, and so is the student who stands accused of putting the signs on the wall.

So, its not about race.  Unless the kid was white.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 11:16:42 AM »
Nearly 57% of the students at Hightower High School are African American, and so is the student who stands accused of putting the signs on the wall.

So, its not about race.  Unless the kid was white.

Oops, how the heck did I miss that part?

Okay, I'm surprised this made the news.