Author Topic: Huckabee within striking distance from Romney  (Read 5185 times)

camacho

Huckabee within striking distance from Romney
« on: November 15, 2007, 03:11:08 AM »
For those of you who are not happy with Rudy, Romney, and McCain, and not impressed by Fred Thompson, I suggest you take a look at Mike who is becoming a serious and electable alternative to the above unimpressive candidates.

Huckabee surges in Iowa poll
Trails Romney by just 6 points

By Michael Levenson, Globe Staff  |  November 15, 2007

Mitt Romney, despite heavy spending and intensive campaigning, finds himself in a tightening battle with Mike Huckabee in Iowa, forcing Romney to confront aggressively an opponent with far less money and organizational backing who was far back in the polls a few weeks ago.

Huckabee appeared to delight in the attention from Romney, who blasted Huckabee for having fought for tuition breaks for children of illegal immigrants while governor of Arkansas.

"The fact that I am being attacked is a good sign," Huckabee said yesterday on Fox News Channel. "It's a sign of life. This is hunting season. I'm a hunter. You don't ever point your gun at a dead carcass. A lot of folks are pointing at me."

Seven weeks before the Jan. 3 caucuses, a New York Times/CBS News Poll published yesterday had Romney capturing support from 27 percent of likely Republican voters, but Huckabee within striking range with 21 percent. Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani was third with 15 percent, Fred Thompson had 9 percent, and John McCain and Ron Paul had 4 percent each. As recently as September, Huckabee was in the single digits.

"It happened," a memo from the Huckabee campaign said yesterday. "We broke 20% in Iowa, which pulled us to within 6% of Governor Romney!"

Huckabee has been staking much of his campaign on Iowa, hoping that a win in caucuses there, the first nomination votes of 2008, will vault his relatively shoestring candidacy to prominence in delegate-rich states. Romney has invested heavily in Iowa as part of his strategy to capture the early-voting states.

Romney's aides sought to downplay Huckabee's surge. "This latest public poll indicates Governor Romney's campaign is right where it needs it to be in Iowa: in a competitive position as the caucus date draws closer," spokesman Kevin Madden wrote in an e-mail yesterday to reporters.

But in recent days, Romney has clearly been taking Huckabee more seriously, hammering him for backing the tuition break plan. "Giving a better deal to the children of illegal aliens than we give to US citizens from surrounding states is simply not fair and not right," Romney told reporters during a stop in Iowa on Tuesday.

Huckabee has said the plan gave merit scholarships to children of illegal immigrants, provided they were applying for citizenship. He has argued that barring those children would penalize them for their parents' misdeeds.

On Fox News yesterday, Huckabee was more pointed in his response to Romney: "I guess Mitt Romney would rather keep people out of college so they can keep working on his lawn, since he had illegals there."

That refers to a Globe report in December that the landscaping service working on Romney's lawn in Belmont employed several illegal immigrants. Romney has said his family checked that the employer was legal, but didn't know about the workers.

A University of Iowa political scientist, Bruce Gronbeck, predicted a tight race between Huckabee and Romney, "and then you get to the question of who comes out on a cold January night," he said. On that score, Gronbeck gave the advantage to Romney's fund-raising and vast network of backers.

"That could be the difference," Gronbeck said.

Michael Levenson can be reached at mlevenson@globe.com.

Leatherneck

• friend
Re: Huckabee within striking distance from Romney
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 07:22:24 AM »
Welcome to APS, Camacho. Will you be sticking around, or are you a campaign worker?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »
I would almost accept Huckabee as a distant second choice to my first pick if it wasn't for is blatant and wanton disrespect for the constitution. That fact that he would go to war with Iran, even if congress said no, is pretty much the same chump we have in office right now.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

camacho

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 01:21:01 PM »
Welcome to APS, Camacho. Will you be sticking around, or are you a campaign worker?

Thank you, glad to be here! First time here but I frequent THR. No, I am not a campaign worker, and I am not affiliated with any political campaign! I just support Mike for I believe he is the only candidate that is worth supporting (besides Ron Paul). As to Ron, I do not think the electorate is ready for him. I had high hopes for Fred, but I do not think he is going anywhere either.

camacho

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 01:29:39 PM »
I
would almost accept Huckabee as a distant second choice to my first pick if it wasn't for is blatant and wanton disrespect for the constitution. That fact that he would go to war with Iran, even if congress said no, is pretty much the same chump we have in office right now.

I do not believe that Mike is a foreign policy hawk. A lot of this is a talk to satisfy those primary folks who are hell-bent on strong foreign policy. This is what you get from McCain and especially Rudy, but not Mike. As far as the constitution, Ron Paul is definitely at the forefront as a defender of it, I would not argue that.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 01:42:59 PM »
I don't know. He was pretty adamant about ignoring congress if they disapproved a war resolution. Checks and Balances and all those shenanigans...
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

camacho

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:57:15 PM »
Just watch him in the upcoming debates. You will find that his forte is not foreign policy and he does not get very passionate on those questions even though he gives answers I myself do not agree with.

beatnik

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 03:31:11 AM »
Quote from: John F. Kennedy
Once you say youre going to settle for second, thats what happens to you in life.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 03:22:21 PM »
The Huck will not get my vote.  He showed his lack of understanding of the COTUS and Federalism when he proposed federal smoking bans.

What we DON'T need is another big-gov't "conservative" fronting for the Republicans.  We've just had nearly eight years of that.

Also, he is a complete sell-out on the border & illegal aliens.  Send him packing back to Arkansas.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »
The Huck will not get my vote.  He showed his lack of understanding of the COTUS and Federalism when he proposed federal smoking bans.

What we DON'T need is another big-gov't "conservative" fronting for the Republicans.  We've just had nearly eight years of that.

Also, he is a complete sell-out on the border & illegal aliens.  Send him packing back to Arkansas.

Imagine a GOP member forcing their beliefs on the populace!!!

So why can't we buy a bag of weed again?

Warren

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 12:36:41 AM »
Is there any guarantee that Huckabee will ACtUALLY strike Romney?

camacho

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 04:52:14 AM »
Guarantee: no! Hope:yes! Otherwise we end up either with Romney or Rudy. Not a good alternative if you ask me!

Len Budney

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 07:53:25 AM »
I
would almost accept Huckabee as a distant second choice to my first pick if it wasn't for is blatant and wanton disrespect for the constitution. That fact that he would go to war with Iran, even if congress said no, is pretty much the same chump we have in office right now.

I do not believe that Mike is a foreign policy hawk. A lot of this is a talk to satisfy those primary folks who are hell-bent on strong foreign policy.

I think you just said, "Hey, don't worry about his warlike rhetoric--he's only lying to get some votes." Yep, he's the man for principled conservatives of integrity everywhere!  rolleyes

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

camacho

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 08:40:43 AM »
I think you just said, "Hey, don't worry about his warlike rhetoric--he's only lying to get some votes." Yep, he's the man for principled conservatives of integrity everywhere!

What I was trying to say (maybe did not expressed it well) is that his emphasis is not on foreign policy. I do not agree with warlike rhetoric either, but I am willing to swallow it based on what I have read about the man. I do not believe that he is Bush or Gulliani on foreign polciy. That's all! As to principles, he's got them in bigger quantities than the rest of the field barring Ron Paul.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 07:18:30 AM »
Other than the war against Islamofascism the other great issue for this country is illegal immigration.  And Huckabee is out to lunch on the second. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.