Author Topic: Edwards proposes Hunting and Fishing Bill of Rights  (Read 5871 times)

camacho

Edwards proposes Hunting and Fishing Bill of Rights
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:39:42 AM »
It is truly amazing how during election time the hunter and the 2 Amendment supporter all of a sudden awaken in some well known Dem candidates. Who are they fooling?

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=3290

Hunting and Fishing Bill of Rights and Responsibilities?

Friday, November 16, 2007

In an attempt to camouflage and deflect criticism from his anti-gun, anti-sportsmen record, former U.S. Senator and current Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards (D-N.C.) last month proposed a Hunting and Fishing Bill of Rights and Responsibilities.

Edwards was recently interviewed by Field & Stream regarding his proposal, provoking heated debate about the former Senators true record on issues of concern to gun owners and sportsmen.  In responding to the statements Edwards made in the interview, NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris Cox sent the following letter to the editor of Field & Stream to set the record straight:

We all know that during political campaigns, candidates try to present the public with only those images they want them to see. It is up to the voters to figure out who the candidates really are. This is particularly true in Presidential politics, making it even more important to look beyond the spin and find the truth.

In a recent story released by Field & Stream, Presidential candidate John Edwards posed as a supporter of gun owners and hunters. This is a complete political fabrication. The readers of Field & Stream deserve to know the truth about John Edwards.

Even a brief look at Edwards voting record from his single term in the U.S. Senate shows he is no friend of gun owners or sportsmen. Edwards voted to regulate gun shows out of existence and to renew Bill Clintons sweeping gun ban, a gun ban the National Academy of Sciences reported did nothing to curb crime. He opposed the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that protects Americas firearms industry from reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt them. He apparently believes that gun makers, which hunters depend on for their firearms, should be at the mercy of anti-gun mayors like Michael Bloomberg who want to use the courts to make guns unavailable to the average American.

Edwards, of course, ran on the ticket with John Kerry at a time when Kerry had sponsored legislation that would have banned common semi-automatic hunting shotguns like the Remington 1100, Browning Auto-5 and Benelli SBE. His running mate told Americas hunters that they could not be trusted with these assault weapons.

When he voted on the Senate floor in 2000 to commend the Million Mom March gun-ban crowd for its anti-freedom efforts, was he commending them for their loud calls for gun registration and gun owner licensing? Was he applauding their agenda of gun bans, long waiting periods and gun purchase limits?

Hunters know that for our hunting heritage to survive, the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms must be protected from politicians like John Edwards. Wearing a camo jacket for one weekend during an election year does not make John Edwards a sportsman. Voting for anti-gun legislation time after time does make John Edwards an enemy of gun ownership.

John Edwards knows that educated and motivated gun owners and hunters defeated the Kerry/Edwards ticket in 2004. Now he wants to hide his record to avoid that fate in 2008. He can try to hide behind campaign promises and well-worded spin, but we will not forget his real record. It is time for politicians like John Edwards to finally learn that they will be measured by their actions, not their words.

LAK

• friend
Re: Edwards proposes Hunting and Fishing Bill of Rights
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 04:40:55 AM »
Exactly. How about a "golf players' bill of rights". And one for "skateboarders", "bicycle riders", "surfers" and "joggers". One for "offroaders", another for "kiteflyers". Etc

-------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 05:47:45 AM »
Edwards needs to be made to write on a blackboard 1000 times.

THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT HUNTING

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 07:04:32 AM »
Manedwolf,

I believe he knows that.  I also believe he knows that a good chunk of gun owners, are only hunters.

Divide and conquer.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 07:09:06 AM »
The simple reply I use to counter any of those arguments from Fudds is that "It does not say you have a right to bear sporting goods."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »
Spoken like a true trial lawyer out of both sides of his over-sized mouth.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 01:51:56 PM »
Hunter's Bill of Rights establishes Edwards bona fides as supporting the second amendment.  Simple tactic since the vast majority of voters on his side are ignorant about the historic meaning of the second amendment.

Once establishing his credibility in favor of the SA, he can then pirouette and begin bleating about the need for newer and improved and effective gun control laws.  The play keeps knuckle-dragging gunners in a stupor and incites his raw meat banners.  Welcome to the world of marxist politics.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 04:07:10 PM »
Spoken like a true trial lawyer out of both sides of his over-sized mouth.

It shocks and dismays me that Americans are ever fooled by him.

To me, he comes off as an oily used-car salesman.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 04:58:14 PM »
That Jackass ought to be somewhere near the top of the list when The Great Day comes, and we hang all of these worthless bureaucrat bastards.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »
it is impossible to comment on Edwards because we do not have a barf simile
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 03:28:20 AM »
I agree with the guy, we need this amendment. I'll even draft the proposed text.

"We reserve the right to hunt politicians."    grin
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 05:19:17 AM »
This is the first time I've seen a Presidential candidate put it forth as a Bill of Rights and "Responsibilites". That should be a clue to even the semi quick-witted that his agenda equals regulation, not rights.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 03:43:52 PM »
Anybody got a link to Edwards nonsense?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 08:17:15 AM »
At least Huckabee GETS the Second Amendment!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53BE93_0gJc
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

camacho

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 08:25:36 AM »
Anybody got a link to Edwards nonsense?

Link to the nonsense: http://www.iowapolitics.com/index.iml?Article=108626
Link to Interview with Field and Stream: http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/news/2007/10/fs-exclusive-jo.html

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 02:14:59 PM »
Actually if that was not coming from an avowed gun grabbing democrap some of it has merit. Too bad it is just his attempt to ingratiate himself with sport hunters. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Len Budney

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 02:47:48 PM »
It's the old divide-and-conquer. Get the Fudds to help spread the FUD.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 09:43:38 PM »
It's the old divide-and-conquer. Get the Fudds to help spread the FUD.

You know, calling them fudds is not only NOT a good way to get them on our side, but to KEEP them off of our side.

Nobody takes kindly to insults.

Here's an idea:  How about instead of elitism and name calling, the next time you see someone who thinks the second amendment is about hunting, you kindly take them aside and explain to them their mistake?  Reasoned discourse is much better at changing minds.  Frothing at the mouth and hurling insults isn't.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Len Budney

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 02:48:16 AM »
You know, calling them fudds is not only NOT a good way to get them on our side, but to KEEP them off of our side.

Ya, ya, I know all that. But the pun was too irresistible. I'll try to remember only to use insulting epithets to describe liberals and libertarians from now on.  rolleyes
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.