Author Topic: Help Shut Down the Movie "Redacted"  (Read 4245 times)

jdfuller1946

Help Shut Down the Movie "Redacted"
« on: November 22, 2007, 07:39:16 PM »
Mark Cuban, owner of the NBA Mavericks and billionaire entrepreneur, man about town has bank-rolled another Brian De Palma anti-American, anti-war movie Redacted that depicts a horrible rape and murder by GIs in Iraq (based on an actual crime). The guys that did this are doing hard time but the movie features this aberration as if it were the way our troops conduct themselves in this war.

This Hot Air item sums it up for me: http://hotair.com/archives/2007/11/1...bout-redacted/

Here is a link to the movie, FYI: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809852977/info

He has done some good things including sponsoring a charity for wounded troops.

But he seems to think this movie is an artistic expression to create some sort of reflection on war.

The movie is tanking in American box offices. However, it will play big overseas and I believe it will be used to recruit and motivate more radicalized young Muslims both overseas and here.

If you agree with me, I urge you to contact his advertisers: Coke, American Airlines, Pizza Hut, and boycott the Mavericks. He understand the buck. He also has an ego and will not like being seen as anti-American/supportive of jihadists. If you feel strongly also recommend you contack his advertisers and ask them to stop any association with Mr. Cuban's businesses.

I want him to apologize for this vile movie. After that I will but coke, fly American Arilines, eat at A&W.

If you want to contact Mark Cuban I have his email. I will provide it to you via private message.  In any case, I urge you to be civil but express your concern that his movie will incite attacks against our troops and our country. If you feel as strongly as I do I recommend you let him know that you will lay off his advertiser until he apologizes. He reads his mail. Although, I think his box may be getting overwhelmed. If you are in the military or retired or in any homeland security function please let him know.

I am not saying Cuban should be arrested or shot.  I think he should be ashamed of himself.  In lieu of that, he and I hope you recognise my first amendment right to put some pressure on him and his businesses.  We are in a war.  Our troops are dying and coming home horrily wounded.  This movie will not win or loose the war - it is another nail in the coffin, IMHO.

Thanks for listening!
Jeff - Fairfax VA
de oppresso libre

wooderson

• friend
Re: Help Shut Down the Movie "Redacted"
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:39:55 PM »
But he seems to think this movie is an artistic expression to create some sort of reflection on war.

Not sure what you're arguing here. It is "artistic expression" (though apparently a rather badly made expression), and it is a "reflection on war" - as you say, it is, essentially "reflection on war."

Now, can you find any quotes from Cuban where he believes this is a common occurrence in Iraq? Anything at all to indicate that he believes this work of fiction expresses some kind of literal truth about American soldiers?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:31:13 PM »
The point is that this movie will be used as a propaganda tool by enemies to inflame sentiment. They'll show the scenes of "US soliders as rapists" to recruit jihadists.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:04:37 AM »
I'm always suspicious of first posts that are all cause and no hello.  Worthy cause or not, it looks like spam to me.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 07:10:19 AM »
The point is that this movie will be used as a propaganda tool by enemies to inflame sentiment.
You really think that the 'jihadists' are going to track down bootlegs of a fictional movie, translate them into Arabic (faithfully) and then... what? The movie's supposed to be almost unwatchable as it is.

How is this going to inflame sentiment in the Muslim world beyond where it already sits? Do you believe that al Qaeda aren't actively propagandizing against the US every day?

Do you not believe that anyone who will believe a fictional movie is absolute truth may alrady be predisposed toward 'hating America'?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 12:29:10 PM »
I doubt this movie could do any more damage than some of our "esteemed" congress dipsticks.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »
I didn't plan on seeing it, but the mischievous  side of me is tempted (now that I'm visiting the holy city of san francisco) to go see it and cheer when the troops do the mayhem, I may wait until I'm back in Reno where I can pack heat legally.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 12:34:36 PM »
Rape and murder (fictional, but tied to a true story) is something to be cheered if it POs those lily-livered commie pinko liberals?

jdfuller1946

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »
I'm always suspicious of first posts that are all cause and no hello.  Worthy cause or not, it looks like spam to me.

Antibubba,

A fellow shooter on anther site suggested this site to me - as my suggestion of putting economic pressure on the movie producer was mistaken for me asking the Feds to censor the vile movie.

Some folks think the 1st amendment only applies to journalists and movie producers, not the slobs who are not enlightened enough to recognize that war is always wrong, better red than dead, etc.

But I take your point that I should say hello.  I am a retired Army SF Officer, work for DOD and DHS in DC and hunt, fish, shoot, bike and hack away at golf.  I am from Montana and my heart is still out in God's country, wherever I am.

Jeff

Jeff - Fairfax VA
de oppresso libre

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 03:00:10 PM »
Heh!  gunsmith you are as subversive as I am.  grin

He was directed here by way of THR: http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Jeff,

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Just so you know, a lot of the members here are also members on THR. We (as in the queen of England) turned into a bunch of misfits and Oleg was nice enough to accommodate our antics and give a playpen here.    grin

Give him a break guys, at least he's earnest.

jdfuller1946

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 03:48:36 PM »
Risasi, thanks for the welcome and warning.

Having spent a serious part of my adult life in Army SF, and working on combatting terrorism for DOD and now DHS since 1997 I probably do come acrost a little earnest!

Glad to have a place to recuss the issues on my mind!

Jeff
Jeff - Fairfax VA
de oppresso libre

Ron

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 04:42:37 PM »
Welcome to the site Jeff! Thanks for your service, I am thankful for the men and women who work to insure our country remains free and safe.

My initial thoughts were that this movie sounds like it may slip into obscurity under its own weight and any controversy may give it attention it doesn't deserve.

The movie tanking at the box office will impact advertisers signing up with any similar projects from the folks who made this dreck.

jdfuller1946

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 05:26:37 PM »
Ron,

Thanks!

I got a response from Mark Cuban.  He does not believe his movie will be exploited by OBL and his assortment of jihadists.  I think it will.  I also hate to see the overseas sale of DVDs reinforce the unclean / moonbats view of the US...

Wish I had a ton of $$$ - I would see if I could talk Vince Flynn to do a movie featuring Mitch Rapp!

Jeff
Jeff - Fairfax VA
de oppresso libre

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 05:54:40 PM »
I don't believe in shutting down someone's free expression just because you don't like what they have to say.

Now correct me if I'm wrong (and I might be!) but wasn't this movie based on a true story?  I'm assuming it was based on the story of the Canadian citizen that was redacted to the Middle East?

I really don't know much about this movie because I pretty much hate most movies coming out these days anyway.

EDIT: Apparently I'm thinking of the wrong movie.  I have no idea what THIS movie is about.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 05:58:01 PM »
I think you're thinking of 'Rendition,' nitrogen. That's the one w/ the dude from Brokeback Mountain.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 12:00:16 AM »
The movie is hardly relevant to the radicals-they simply use the actual rape and murder of a young girl in Iraq for propaganda.  No hollywood expertise needed for that one.

It's the actual crime that gets exploited, not the movies.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 12:01:11 AM »
Rape and murder (fictional, but tied to a true story) is something to be cheered if it POs those lily-livered commie pinko liberals?
A..."if your enemy is quick to anger then use that against him" Sun Tzu, Art Of War.
B...
Hey, I like the first amendment angel

C...I think they may be liberal and or commie, I have no idea if they're pinko, do you have inside info?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 12:07:04 AM »
oh....how rude of me...welcome Jeff!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 02:57:57 AM »
A..."if your enemy is quick to anger then use that against him" Sun Tzu, Art Of War.
B...
Hey, I like the first amendment angel

C...I think they may be liberal and or commie, I have no idea if they're pinko, do you have inside info?
You have to cut them open to see.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 06:29:07 AM »
Worst thing you can do is give it any kind of noterity or attention.  There is no such thing as bad publicity.   

Second the Jihadists will use anything to further their agenda.  Heck, they still sell copies of "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" as non-fiction throughout the middle east.  Plus wasn't there a mini-series just recently aired in Egypt showing/stating that Jews were drinking the blood of non-jewish children on Passover among other lies/slanders against Jews.

All the recent "American are bad guys in the middle east" movies have pretty much tanked at the box office.  That's the best possible outcome.  Let the market determine and decide.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 08:25:17 PM »
Number of terrorist attacks fueled by American movies: 0
Number of terrorist attacks fueled by American Foreign Policy: More than 0.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 09:50:33 PM »

Why do you hate America?
 rolleyes

(By the way, this reply was some obtuse sarcasm)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 05:51:07 AM »

Number of terrorist attacks by American government. Zero.
Number of terrorist attacks by terrorist and governments they control or that support them. Too numerous to count.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Len Budney

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 05:57:17 AM »
Number of terrorist attacks by American government. Zero.

Tha's right. We don't do "terror." WE do "shock and awe."
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 06:00:39 AM »
Good morning y'all.

This thread has the potential to head south quickly.

Please remember the "Polite" portion of our name.

Thanks,

M

P.S.  Rasasi-

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.   Just so you know, a lot of the members here are also members on THR. We (as in the queen of England) turned into a bunch of misfits and Oleg was nice enough to accommodate our antics and give a playpen here."

That made me laugh, thanks.  Pretty funny, and, well, true!
One day at a time.