Author Topic: Romney: I Won't Ask God to Smite Atheists  (Read 9299 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Romney: I Won't Ask God to Smite Atheists
« on: December 07, 2007, 01:07:28 AM »
another gem from scrappleface.com

by Scott Ott

(2007-12-06)  Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, in perhaps the biggest speech of his presidential candidacy said today that despite his faith in God he will take a pledge to refrain from asking the Almighty to smite atheist Americans during his White House years.

I will be the president of all the people, said Mr. Romney, not just of the ones who are going to heaven. Therefore, I will not call down fire upon my unbelieving adversaries who are American citizens, nor will I take up the sword to slay them. Read my lips: no new plagues.

Mr. Romney also extended an olive branch to evangelical Christians suspicious of his belief in Mormon doctrine, promising to continue speaking in vague, inoffensive language about Jesus and the Bible if youll agree to do the same.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Romney: I Won't Ask God to Smite Atheists
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 03:46:57 AM »
another gem from scrappleface.com

by Scott Ott

(2007-12-06)  Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, in perhaps the biggest speech of his presidential candidacy said today that despite his faith in God he will take a pledge to refrain from asking the Almighty to smite atheist Americans during his White House years.

I will be the president of all the people, said Mr. Romney, not just of the ones who are going to heaven. Therefore, I will not call down fire upon my unbelieving adversaries who are American citizens, nor will I take up the sword to slay them. Read my lips: no new plagues.

Mr. Romney also extended an olive branch to evangelical Christians suspicious of his belief in Mormon doctrine, promising to continue speaking in vague, inoffensive language about Jesus and the Bible if youll agree to do the same.

god can do any necessary smiting w/o mr. romney's help.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 05:26:25 AM »
he will take a pledge to refrain from asking the Almighty to smite atheist Americans during his White House years.

Gosh, I sure feel better  rolleyes
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 06:02:43 AM »
I thought everyone got over their paranoia of living in a theocracy after Kennedy was elected?  ZOMG! He's a Mormon! We'll all have to have multiple wives if he gets elected! rolleyes
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 07:26:34 AM »
No WAY!

NO FREAKING WAY did Romney utter those words. But in the extremely unlikely event he did then he's a total whack job and everything possible that can be done to keep him out of the presidency must be done.

Though I cannot believe he said what he is purported to have said:

If he did, was he being sarcastic? Making fun of those who think Mormons are cultists? What was the context.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 07:37:15 AM »
he will take a pledge to refrain from asking the Almighty to smite atheist Americans during his White House years.

Gosh, I sure feel better  rolleyes

I don't know....I think I'd be drawn to vote for a candidate who has smiting as a policy option.....not as much for athiests as for other enemy-of-civilization types....  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 08:05:43 AM »
Well, in my view, liberals are athiests, so he could certainly ask God to smite the liberals...  angel
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:57:15 AM »
No WAY!

NO FREAKING WAY did Romney utter those words. But in the extremely unlikely event he did then he's a total whack job and everything possible that can be done to keep him out of the presidency must be done.

Though I cannot believe he said what he is purported to have said:

If he did, was he being sarcastic? Making fun of those who think Mormons are cultists? What was the context.

Considering the same site has this article, I believe you are probably correct:

Omaha Mall Shooter Stopped by Armed Shoppers
by Scott Ott for ScrappleFace ? 22 Comments

(2007-12-07)  When 19-year-old Robert Hawkins entered the Westroads Mall in Omaha, Nebraska, carrying an AK-47 assault rifle wrapped in a sweater, he intended to become famous by shooting as many people as possible and then turning the gun on himself.

The mentally-troubled teen left a suicide note, and a trail of evidence on his computer and elsewhere that he knew the police would spend months investigating. He had done everything possible to ensure that his name would be mentioned along with other mass killers at Virginia Tech, Columbine High School and the like.

He knew that the Westroads Mall was a gun-free zone, with signs on the entrances warning people with conceal-carry permits that they may not bring their firearms into the mall. He took comfort from those signs, as he pushed through the doors carrying the stolen assault rifle.

As he ascended to the upper deck, Mr. Hawkins could almost hear the screams of the shoppers as they tried to flee the sound of his shots, but due to the echo couldnt discern the shooters position. He pictured the confused mall security guards talking over each other on the two-way radios. He rehearsed in his mind the final trigger pull that would end his mortal pain, and imagined the silence that would follow, punctuated only by the groaning of his dying victims.

That was the plan  careful, premeditated and nearly perfect.

There was only one problem: some people dont read signs, and others ignore them.

As Mr. Hawkins moved into the ideal sniper position on the upper deck, an unnamed middle-aged man emerging from the nearby Von Maur department store noticed his odd behavior and glimpsed the muzzle of the rifle peeking out from the sweater. Almost instinctively the man moved toward Mr. Hawkins, reaching to his belt to draw out a Springfield EMP, a small, 9mm semi-automatic handgun.

As the would-be famous mass killer raised the rifle to his shoulder, the unnamed shopper commanded him to stop. Mr. Hawkins turned the muzzle of the AK-47 toward the commanding voice, a single shot rang out and Mr. Hawkins staggered, dropped his weapon and fell against the railing.

By this time, two other shoppers were aiming their pistols at Mr. Hawkins  a young, single woman pulled a .40 caliber Glock 27 from her purse, and a retired farmer drew his 9mm Ruger SR9 (an early Christmas gift from his wife). Together with the first man they moved in to separate Mr. Hawkins from his gun, search him for other weapons and restrain him until law enforcement arrived.

Robert Hawkins is recovering from his gunshot wound as he awaits trial for attempted murder and other charges. He faces the prospect of 15-to-25 years in prison, where police say he will be famous as the guy who was almost famous.

Westroads Mall officials said they had not decided yet whether to press charges against the three who interrupted Mr. Hawkins plan by violating the malls gun-free zone policy.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 10:57:21 AM »
I thought everyone got over their paranoia of living in a theocracy after Kennedy was elected?  ZOMG! He's a Mormon! We'll all have to have multiple wives if he gets elected!

Cool. cool

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 11:01:43 AM »
NO FREAKING WAY did Romney utter those words.

ScrappleFace is a humor blog.  Sorta like The Onion.

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 12:23:53 PM »

I suggest that when someone links to a humor or satire site that they say it is a humor or satire site.

Some of 'em are quite obviously not the real deal but some - well - you just can't tell.

I've heard of the Onion - even used to go there 'till they changed their format but scrappleFace??? That's a new one.

Course if I'd looked at the source ScrappleFace would have been a dead give away but all I saw was the quoted article in the OP.

Fight Me Online

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 03:01:06 PM »
I suggest that when someone links to a humor or satire site that they say it is a humor or satire site.

Some of 'em are quite obviously not the real deal but some - well - you just can't tell. 

grin   Are you being satirical, Wolf?  What kind of paranoid fantasies must a person entertain about religious folk, before they will take the above quotations seriously?  Especially after Romney's actual speech about religion? 

Priceless. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 03:16:37 PM »
I would be to embarrassed to admit I'd never heard of scrappleface!
Next some one will tell me they never heard of IMAO.us
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 04:28:53 PM »

grin   Are you being satirical, Wolf?  What kind of paranoid fantasies must a person entertain about religious folk, before they will take the above quotations seriously?  Especially after Romney's actual speech about religion? 

Priceless. 
Not being satirical, which is why I stated in my original post:
Quote from: Werewolf
Because there was just no way a guy like Romney would have said that. I missed the source as ScrappleFace or wouldn't have asked. Even then I said "in the extremely unlikely event..." Then asked later if he did say that stuff in what context did he say it? Was he being sarcastic or something.

As for the actual words quoted in the article - my brother and niece belong to a church where most of the parishiners are totally capable of uttering the smite words in relation to those not of their faith so one doesn't have to be paranoid about fanatics to imagine they are capable of such utterances.

I don't think Romney is a fanatic which lacking knowledge of his speech combined with the quoted article by the OP made me incredulous that he could have said such in front of a national audience.

Fight Me Online

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 04:32:45 PM »
I would be to embarrassed to admit I'd never heard of scrappleface!
Next some one will tell me they never heard of IMAO.us
I've never heard of IMAO.us and I am not embarassed by that revelation.

Some of y'all spend way too much time on the internet.

Get a life: Get laid: Get the hell out of the house: Do something other than hang out here - especially you young guys under 30...

Fight Me Online

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
some of my fave blogs are "rightwingnews.com"  "IMAO.us" scrappleface is a new fave for me, little green footballs is another good one.
Get a life:
I used to have one of those
Get laid:
Don't I wish
Get the hell out of the house
I just parked the truck because we have serious black ice here in Reno, I slipped on the sidewalk, looks like another friday night alone with the feral cat hanging outside my window,the net, and a movie....then again...I wish I was a young guy like those thirty year olds are! grin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 03:55:51 AM »
People!  Breathe!  IN....out.....in.....out
ITS SATIRE.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 05:19:08 AM »
If Romney abolishes the capital gains tax, I will give up coffee and beer, take multiple wives and dig in my back yard for plates.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 10:34:01 AM »
If Romney abolishes the capital gains tax,..................... and dig in my back yard for plates.

Gigglesnort
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 10:50:23 AM »
Been there, done that, El T.  Check your deed.  I have riparian rights.
Oh, the oil derrick is coming Monday.  Leave the house keys on the back porch.
The Albanian riggers will need to use the bathroom.   grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 06:25:41 PM »
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 08:31:17 PM »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 02:51:44 AM »

First smart thing you've said in awhile.
 laugh
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 06:57:12 PM »
This is the main reason I know what IMAO.us is.  I saw the Tshirt for sale and looked it up.  Never really visit the site though.  The rant explaining the plan for world peace is pretty funny.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »
This one is good also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge