Author Topic: Ma'am- are those your kids?  (Read 14970 times)

Ma'am- are those your kids?
« on: March 03, 2005, 07:22:17 PM »
One of the single mom's I assisted with some matters and now lives out of town -closer to her folks,  still keeps in touch.  She was in an abusive relationship - got out of it , divorced, and learning to shoot and getting her CCW was very imprortant.

The kids, I might of had some influence on them...

Steve,

I had had one of those days, work was piling up, traffic was crazy and I had promised the kids after school we would go by the Sporting goods store for the little ones T - ball equipment..

I left older Brother in charge of baby sister, all I wanted to do was try on a pair of tennis shoes. I figured they could not get into too much trouble just out of sight. I figured the baby girl would be playing with the new glove.

I really was not "that long" , I was not that far away. You know how I am, how protective of the kids...

The kids were not where I left them. Then I heard them...

"Uncle Steve said the red ones work best in my GUN". said baby girl.  Well the green ones work better in mine" .- replied the brother.   Mom's GUN shoots these I think"and those are the ones Uncle Steve said sucked" ...

There my baby girl was standing in the basket, while older brother was handing her shotgun shells. They were really stocking up too.

The aisle was empty, not sure if it was - or folks cleared out...

Ma'am are those your kids?  Asked a small framed Grandmother type.

Well for a moment I did think about not claiming them...but they are my world,it was kinda cute, funny and embarrassing all at the same time.

"Yes ma'am , those are my kids." I waited to be berated about guns, and kids.

Frail lady replied " that is so great, may I meet them?" . The lady met my kids. Lady said when she was younger she used to shoot trap  with her late husband, they hunted birds together too.

Baby girl commented the shells the lady pulled of the shelf were the one's that Uncle Steve said Sucked.

"Who is this Uncle"

" Oh he is not my real uncle. I adopted him, so did brother. He used to come over and help my mom, he taught us to shoot.  We moved away but we still know him".

" Well Child, you are supposed to have Uncles like that. You are supposed to learn how to shoot".

I hope you are happy Steve, getting me totally embarrassed by my kids - and  at the same time so proud of them.

Happy Bob

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 07:40:36 PM »
Good story, Steve; thanks for sharing it.

Y'know, you seem to be kinda doing the equivalent of a BA/UU/R type of thing on that keyboard -- your stuff keeps getting better, and your style keeps getting smoother ...

Keep it up.   Wink
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 09:52:33 PM »
Shopping for ammo at that age...they're being raised right.
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

wasrjoe

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 09:57:52 PM »
I would be all misty-eyed upon reading that if I were you, sm. Good story, thanks!
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 10:11:09 PM »
Well my "allergies" may or may not have caused my eyes to tear. *wink*

I have my soft spots , druthers and stuff folks might call old fashioned or sentimental.  What this lady endured and got past with two kids is a great testamant to personal awareness and taking responsibity.

Truth be known - I was the one that learned more from her and the kids - than they did me.

I just happend to be where I needed to at the right time is all...

You would have to see this little girl to fully appreciate her personality.

Told her mom to get her butt in gear and finish the laundry one day, " you said we were gonna go shoot, hurry up mom...I'm waiting"

Arms folded and "her" gun and gear already in the car....tapping her foot.

matt1911

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:19:59 AM »
Thats a great story,thanks for sharing.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 04:55:25 AM »
Is this the 'hell yeh' girl from the belly button bang story?  I think that was you who told us that one a while back.

Greg

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 05:49:09 AM »
Greg,
Not the same one.

There are quite a few persons and kids I assisted . I tend to take the same approach in things. Be it teaching a new shooter, working with kids or spoiling dogs.

Probably explains why there is a shortage of peppermint at times as well...kids buying peppermint to spoil dogs...I wonder where they got that?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 11:07:31 AM »
A ray of hope for the future. Thanks!
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Myself

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 11:13:02 AM »
At least they didn't get into a 9MM vrs. .45 debate.

Cheesy

Great story thanks for sharing.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 12:24:55 PM »
Real nice, sm.  Way to go!  Now fess up: you were actually spoiling those kids rotten with guns, weren't you ?  Wink

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Holly76201

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 02:58:30 PM »
Steve,

You could say that all that firearms education really was "for the Children"
Veni, Vidi, Vivisecti

FUR IS MURDER to clean

Michigander

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 05:41:08 AM »
sm, you're a credit to APS (& THR).

You know, all the legislation and anti-legislation in the world is not going to stop the anti's.

It is people like you, who teach the next generations, that will ultimately win or lose our common battle.

Keep up the good work.

You're a hero.
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2005, 11:25:02 AM »
You folks are too kind, and give me too much credit.  Thank You.

I just happen be old fashioned and all on some stuff.

Not being one to like  "control" - I figure kids have a right to learn and experience some stuff- like guns- no matter what Whiney Butts, Legislative-Lizards, Hollywood- Know-It-Alls say , do, or think.

It is kinda funny to hear to a Kid tell you your "tigger" sucks on your gun...and wants to shoot the "Gummy" Model instead.

Semantics and all can come later. 4 Rules , having fun , and passing forward more important... I think anyway.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 01:42:50 PM »

...and wants to shoot the "Gummy" Model instead.

I thought you hated Glocks!   Wink

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2005, 02:19:48 PM »
ha, ha, ha....

"Gummy", "Gummit","Gov't" ... she liked the "tigger" better on the 1911 better...."makes big holes".

Let a kid shoot a .410 slug at a water filled Coffee can..." WOW! ... we got anymore cans?  :mrgreen: