Author Topic: Car Camping Advice  (Read 13423 times)

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Car Camping Advice
« on: March 07, 2005, 06:47:33 PM »
Time to break in the new forum and get some advice.

I'm planning on getting back into camping this year. Did it a few times when I was younger with church group, but that's been a long time.  We're going to start out with some basic car camping.

Other than the obvious tent and sleeping bag, what gear should I have?

Are some places better to go than others (national forest vs. state recreation area, etc)?

Any tips you can share to make my reintroduction a positive experience?

cfabe

• friend
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 03:38:44 AM »
I've had great luck with national forest campgrounds. They tend to be very spread out so your neighbors aren't on top of you, and they usually have nice facilities. Plus, there are no additional restrictions on guns in national forests, like there are in national parks. Of course state run facilities will vary.

Get some of the cloth folding camp chairs, those are pretty nice.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 04:13:20 AM »
I'd bring:

Something to cook with, like a stove, utensils, cleaning stuff, etc.

If you're going to be out a while, bring two coolers- eat out of one, and leave the other sealed with tape. It will still be cool after 4-5 days.

A ground pad to sleep on, little rocks really dig in after 1AM or so.

folding chairs.

bug repellent

a big tarp and some cord to shelter the area if it rains

Pleas DON'T bring:

A radio or TV

alcohol enough to make you really loud/rowdy.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 04:59:37 AM »
This is what I bring

Tent- can be big because you ain't packing it

Chuck box, 4 plates, 4 sets of table ware, misc pots and pans, knife, spices, cutting board, small coffee pot, 4 coffee cups, tongs, slotted spoon, solid spoon, spatula, misc gladware, matches, stainless steal griddle.

Coleman stove

Coleman latern

sleeping bags

big air matress

chairs in bags

two coolers, one for beverages, one for food.

weiner sticks

first aid kit

radio

big water jug, the blue one you can buy at wally world

hatchet, small hammer, pliers

I can't think of anything else off hand, I know my equiptment grows every year as I discover I need something else.

First time out in a while, I would camp at a county or state park close to home, just in case you hate it and want to go home, 5 miles a lot closer than several hundred.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Greg L

Car Camping Advice
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 06:21:02 AM »
The basics have been covered.

One thing that I do is keep all the cooking utensils/plates/cups/etc in a medium sized Rubbermaid container.  It keeps them all in one place & the container doubles as a wash basin.  You'll probably also want a small dish drainer to let the dishes dry on.

Keep the meals simple to fix your first few times out.  Your learning curve on all the other stuff will be steep enough to keep you occupied without having to mess with a big complex dinner.

Bring a few books/cards/games for when you are stuck in the tent on a REALLY rainy day with the kids.

Have fun.

MaterDei

• friend
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 06:57:04 AM »
Who is 'we'?

In my experience camping and acceptable campgrounds mean two different things to men and women.

I consider a tent an unnecessary luxury and bother.  Afterall, I'm not going to pick a bad weather weekend to go camping.  

My darling bride disagrees.  My wife also doesn't want anything to do with camping unless there is a brick and morter restroom facility within walking distance.  Other than that she's a real trooper.

grampster

• friend
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 10:11:03 AM »
Bring AAA Tourbook to find the best hotels and restaurants Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 11:07:33 AM »
I (almost) never camp in campgrounds.

On most parts of the National Forests (in the West anyway) you can camp almost anywhere.  Get a map from a ranger station to find back roads that are still open to travel (many are now closed  :cry: )

A high clearance or 4wd vehicle can get you to some pretty remote places.

Along with everything else, take a shovel for ... well - for reasons that should be obvious.

Oh, and along with your defense gun(s), take 1 or more 22 LR guns and a brick or 2 of ammo. Cheesy
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

garrettwc

• friend
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 12:31:44 PM »
Lots of great replies so far. I'll answer some specific ones.

Pleas DON'T bring:
A radio or TV
alcohol enough to make you really loud/rowdy.

Other than a small radio for weather alerts, I'm right there with you. No electronic devices (may have to fight the kids about Gameboys). No alcohol (see "kids")

Charby - County park is where the local teens go to do the things jamz said to avoid. Next closest facility is the national forest I was considering at 45 mins. away. I figured we would try that one for a while before we get into any thing long distance.

Greg L - simple meals sounds like a good idea. Anybody got suggestions for good camping out food?

MaterDei - "we" includes me, a teenager or two, and later on the 5 & 7 years olds and the lady of the house if she's interested. I was smart and bought a 6-8 person tent with ground cloth and rainfly on clearance at Galyan's before Dicks ruined them.

Tallpine, I don't think I can get a lift kit for a Dodge Stratus so I'll be limited to drive up or walk in areas for a while. Good suggestion though to talk to the rangers.

Tools have been mentioned, hatchet (for wood?), hammer (tent stakes?), pliers (?), and shovel (understood). Besides kitchen utensils what other tools, such as knives, etc. should I bring?

Forest service has two "canoes only" lakes within walking distance of the main campground.

DigMe

Car Camping Advice
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 01:10:47 PM »
I haven't camped at a "campground" in a long time so maybe you might not need some of this but I try to bring some kind of folding table if the place doesn't have picnic tables.   I guess being a campground though it probably will have those.  Everyone seems to have covered most things.

One camping staple for me is hobo dinners.  Just get some ground meat, worchestershire sauce, maybe some lowry's seasoning, cut up several potatoes into cubes and put them into a ziploc with water in it, whatever other vegetables you want (carrots, onions and bell peppers work well) and aluminum foil.

Start burning some wood or charcoal to make some coals.  While that's burning get two sheets of aluminum foil and pile some ground beef on it, then  mix in the potatoes and whatever other vegetables you want in there and pour some worchestershire sauce and lowry's or whatever seasoning you want on it and kind mix it together.  Then wrap it up real good and tight in two layers of aluminum foil.  When you have enough of these packets made to feed everyone (I like to do every man for himself so each person can customize his meal) then go to your coal cooking area and get some coals in it.  Put the packages on top and then stack coals around and on each package.  Let them cook in the coals for 25 to 30 minutes and it should be ready to eat.  Good stuff.

I like to dig a "keyhole" shaped firepit that has the main fire in a round area with a rectangle coming off of it where I can drag the coals for cooking.  

Another thing that comes in handy is a foldable shovel.  This can be used for digging your toilet holes, moving coals around, stoking the fire, etc...  They can usually be had in tri-fold style at army surplus stores.

For more camp recipes just go to google and search for "camping recipes" or something.  I'm sure you'll find plenty.

brad cook

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 03:33:48 PM »
some other points....

i usually take a week to camp at ky lake, the best part about it is the shower house...

after fishing, and cleaning those fish, and drinking alot of gin, there's nothing better than a hot shower...

i like to pack hot dogs and lunchmeat mainly, you can eat either one hot or cold.. fried bologna is high class on the lake...

air matress is a godsend, battery powered inflator is another... remember it's always 90+ degrees whenever you want it to be 70...

one gas lantern always stays outside, several battery powered lanterns are spread around, these are most useful when trying to light or refill the gas lantern in the dark... always have backup mantles and fuel...

and remember where the local wal-mart is on the way in...

garrettwc

• friend
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 05:44:49 AM »
Digme, those hobo dinners sound good. I may have to try those at home.

Some questions.

You mentioned a ziploc bag with water in it. Is that just to keep the potatoes moist and then discarded?

You said mix it all together. Are you talking like a meatloaf or just putting it all in the same container like you would a slow cooker?

Yesterdays - good point on the Walmart. Two super centers along the route and the area where we want to camp is a big fishing area so there are plenty of those mom and pop "Bait, Beer, & Bologna" stores nearby.

kfranz

Car Camping Advice
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 06:08:55 AM »
Marinade chicken breasts then freeze them.  They last longer in the cooler, and help keep other stuff cold as well.  Slice some red/green/yellow peppers, mix with sliced onion, throw them in a ziploc bag.  Your prep work is now mostly done at home, where cutting boards are easy to use.  When the chosen day arrives, throw the thawed chicken on the grill, put the pepper slices in foil and grill them too.  MMMMMMMMMMMM, good stuff.  Some sliced mozz or other favorite cheese makes it even better.  Another camping staple(best for breakfast or lunch) that really cuts down on dishes is Jerky

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 06:33:47 AM »
Things you can grill over the fire/cook in a pan.

Tiger shrimp on grill sticks as an appetizer

Bacon wrapped Elk medallions and corn on the cob roasted in the husk.

At home, slice up some nice beef or chicken breasts, marinate in a mix of soy sauce, peanut butter (unless allergic), honey and cayanne pepper.  Also, slice up some bell peppers and onions, drizzle with juice of a lemon or lime, and seal in plastic.  At camp site, grill meat, saute veggies in marinate, wrap in a tortila = Fajitas

Fresh fruit or S'mores for dessert.

Grill bagels, smother with marmalade or cream cheese,  an orange, add tea or coffie = Continental breakfast in the woods.

Fake eggs in a sealable carton is a whole lot more convenient than whole eggs on a camping trip.

No EtOH?  Bummer, it just aint camping in my eyes unless one can sip 12 y/o Scotch Wiskey and smoke a $10.00 cigar after dinner while swapping lies around the campfire.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

garrettwc

• friend
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 07:58:42 AM »
I'm so glad I'm reading these replies after lunch

You guys are killin' me. Smiley

Keep it coming.

Also, gear suggestions are still welcome. This thread is about the whole experience.[/i]

Sawdust

• friend
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 09:58:59 AM »
Unless you plan on day hiking *all* day, bring some stuff to keep you occupied.

Especially if there are kids. Playing cards, board games, books, etc.

I actually prefer *not* to do food prep at home beforehand, as it gives me something to do while I'm hanging at the campsite.

I can't believe no one has mentioned copious amounts of guns and ammo for the zombie wildlife.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 05:34:26 PM »
One thing I'm remembering about tent stakes-  I camp mostly in the white mountain national forsest campgrounds,  and the ground there is so hard (just packed sand, but I mean REAALY packed) that it's almost not worth bringing anything but the absolute strongest tent pegs- it just bends those little aluminum ones right up.

Do any fishing?  Might be nice to bring a rod or two and see what you can get if there's a nearby river.  The nice thing about camping is that it can be a nice place to come back to after doing a lot of fun outside stuff- it may not be so nice just as a place to hang out all day unless you have a good supply of books and your kids are really patient.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Jason

Car Camping Advice
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 04:45:39 AM »
I car camp a couple times a year.  If your SO isn't much for roughing it, go to a campground with some creature comforts like toilets and showers.  KOA's aer very nice.  Otherwise, I prefer to not be in a campground.
Water:  Bring alot, I usually go through about 5-10 gallons in 2 days for 2-3 people.  A little more if I've got a Solar Shower (cheap, and great for washing up).
Stuff to do:  camping is boring unless you're just a patient person.  Hiking, biking, fishing are the reasons I go camping.  Go camping for the recreation, not for the camping.
Tent:  Buy a bigger one then you think you need.  Its nice to be able to stand up and change clothes in it.  Also, set it up in your backyard at least once, so you're familiar with it.  Doing it in the dark when you've not done it before can be a crappy start to a trip.
Lantern:  I've got a Coleman that auto-lights.  No matches required.  Always have spare mantles.
Food:  I also do most of my food prep at camp so I've got something to do, unless its a fishing trip  Cheesy
Site selection:  Not too close to the crappers.  Not too close to any trashcans.  Next to a babbling brook is nice, but remember, it can drop the night time temp by a few degrees...if you're at 8,000' and its 30* at night...well you get it...
Wildlife:  If you're in Bear country, learn the appropriate countermeasures (like not eating where you sleep, and not wearing cooking clothes to bed).  Don't leave food out anywhere (Racoons can ruin a trip fast).  Don't feed the wildlife.  
Memories:  Take lots of pictures!
Organization:  Everything I take goes into those rubbermaid totes.  
Gear:  Don't scrimp on your gear.  That said, you can find things like cookware at the thrift stores, sometimes you'll be surprised what you find.
People:  I like to camp where there isn't alot of peole, but sometimes it can't be avoided.  Be friendly and courteous!
Alchohol:  I prefer beer, and generally avoid glass while camping, I'd hate to ruin a campsite by breaking a bottle on it.
If you've got a truck or SUV, consider buying a used pop-up camper.
Lots of other good advice in the previous posts.
Have fun!

Jason

Car Camping Advice
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 04:48:57 AM »
Something I forgot:
Fire!  I usually bring those fire-logs to get the fire going.  Scrap Lumber actually makes good firewood, check nearby construction sites and see if they'll let you take some scrap lumber.  I prefer shorter pieces, in the 1-2 foot range, combined with bigger pieces of log for longer burning.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 06:39:50 AM »
I can't believe no one has mentioned copious amounts of guns and ammo for the zombie wildlife.

But I did ...
Oh, and along with your defense gun(s), take 1 or more 22 LR guns and a brick or 2 of ammo.

I guess each to their own preferences, but I consider developed campgrounds to be little more than rural slums, with all of the accompanying human problems.  Although I have found in MT a couple semi-primitive FS campgrounds (tables and outhouse) that can be okay early in the season (June) especially midweek.

When I go out camping, it is mostly to be alone, and to not have any responsibilites.  Hiking, plinking, and lying in the sun keeps me entertained quite well.

My camping rig is a 3/4 ton 2wd pickup that can go most anywhere.  The tailgate is my table.  If the weather is warm and clear, I just sleep under the stars - otherwise I use a tarp or backpacking tent.  Those roll-up self-inflating air pads are wonderful when you are a "mature"  Wink camper.

By myself, both food and the few utensils I need go into the cooler together.  I figure I'm not going to die of ricketts or scurvy in 2-3 days, so I just take a bunch of hot dogs and a long fork, along with bread, dried fruit, crackers, coffee, etc.  Freeze some water in 1 gal milk jugs for ice, then you can drink it when it thaws (no water in bottom of cooler).  I cook over an open fire, unless it is too dry or I am in a hurry when I use a single burner Coleman stove.

Some moccasins are nice for hanging around camp. Smiley

Wear layered clothes, especially in the mts.  A slighty oversize wool shirt is wonderful.  Forget changing clothes, except socks (and more socks) and underwear.

Take plenty of bug repellant.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jason

Car Camping Advice
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 06:49:48 AM »
I generally follow something close to Tallpines way of thinking these days.  I prefer primitive camping.  I'm off during the week (work weekends), so I usually have good spots all to myself.  
I usually only go camping so I can go fishing.  I usually eat pretty simply.  I've quit hotdogs, though, instead opting for italian sausage or bratwurst.  One of those folding grates for cooking over a fire, or even a piece of metal grate painted with high temp bbq paint for cooking over the fire.  
I forgot a few things:
Bug spray.  Sun screen lotion.
Baby powder:  In the evening, after you've cleaned up, powder your feet and anything else you see fit.  Actually helps repel dirt, and will help you feel clean while you sleep.
Clothing:  Layers, like Tallpine said.  Cotton sucks, I've got polypro and blend base clothing, fleece pullovers and vests, and a goretex ski jacket.  Polypro, wool, silk, synthetics, fleece...all good stuff.

Azrael256

• friend
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 07:55:10 AM »
I don't think anybody mentioned it, but you need to seal up your tent.  Set it up in the yard, and hose it down with a fine-ish spray.  When it dries, apply a generous coating of sealant to the seams (you should be able to find that at a sporting goods store).
Also, go find yourself a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook and Fieldbook.  You want to keep the kids busy?  Teach 'em stuff.  Merit badge books will come in handy for that sort of thing, too.  I still feel funny going camping without doing something for a merit badge.

DigMe

Car Camping Advice
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 09:28:01 AM »
Digme, those hobo dinners sound good. I may have to try those at home.

They're great!

Some questions.

You mentioned a ziploc bag with water in it. Is that just to keep the potatoes moist and then discarded?

Yeah, your potatoes will stay moist and won't turn brown.

You said mix it all together. Are you talking like a meatloaf or just putting it all in the same container like you would a slow cooker?

You just throw it all together in the aluminum foil right before you cook it.  no need to mix like meatloaf.  You could peal the potatoes and cut up all the vegetables in camp if you want to as well.  I just like doing it beforehand because there are usually plenty of other things to do in camp...play poker, smoke cigars, we are usually hunting hogs until sundown too.  Sometimes if we get some we'll just cut out the backstraps and cook those over the fire.  Good stuff...  Grilled corn is a good thing too.   If you want to cook it in coals you can seal it in foil with some butter or you can throw it on in the husk.  

brad cook

garrettwc

• friend
Car Camping Advice
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 12:33:57 PM »
Atc1man and TallPines,

That's the direction I am going eventually. I don't conider backing a 50ft tour bus onto a paved slab and then sitting inside it with the A/C going camping either. A couple of the nearby camping areas have semi-primitive areas away from the main area. Some you pull your car up to, and some you park and hump it a little ways of the main lot to pitch your tent. Going to start with those and then work my way deeper.

I just yesterday discovered a yahoo! group dedicated to camping in my state that had links to some good info on deep woods areas close by me that I never knew existed. Access is only by foot or horseback for most of them so I can really get away from the noise when I am comfortable with my skills again.

Azrael, I like the Boy Scout idea. The office/store for our region is a 15 minute drive away.

How critical is the sealing thing? I got a new tent with a rainfly. I thought that was the purpose of the rainfly.

DigMe

Car Camping Advice
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 06:50:27 PM »
It depends on the quality of the tent and the rainfly.

brad cook