Author Topic: Good music forums?  (Read 2314 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Good music forums?
« on: July 18, 2005, 08:09:16 PM »
Is there any intelligent place to discuss music in it's technical and social aspects on the internet? I realized that I've been listening to the same stuff for a while now and I was wondering if there was a place like that where I could really blast my horizons miles wider.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Good music forums?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 08:49:41 PM »
I don't know of any forums for music, but maybe I can help widen your musical preferences. What do you listen to now? Any favorite bands? What about types of music you dislike? What is it about them you dislike?
Hi.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Good music forums?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 08:50:28 PM »
What are you listening too? http://www.digitallyimported.com/ and http://www.sky.fm/ have some different styles of music, with associated forums.

Usenet may also offer some good discussion groups, if you can/want to wade through the chaff.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
Good music forums?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 09:25:05 PM »
I've pretty much skimmed the very top of every genre, been listening to metal, emo, indie-rock and post-punk pop and a tad bit of the more tolerable hip-hop. I've been interested in getting deeper into those genres. One of my favorite things to do is to look up a band I like in wikipedia and see what is says... like the band Turin Brake is referenced in the Kings of Convenience wikipedia page, so I check them out. It's all about branching. Maybe I should just start a top played music thread here.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Good music forums?
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 09:34:41 PM »
I've pretty much skimmed the very top of every genre, been listening to metal, emo, indie-rock and post-punk pop and a tad bit of the more tolerable hip-hop.
Hmmmm...IIRC, you're under 20, which is would explain why most of the genres no longer hold any interest for me. Cheesy  I'll shoot some emails to my friend who still listen to metal and guitar orented rock and get back to ya if they have any forum suggestions.  This is an interesting site for studying branching in some music forms, and the Industrial Metal genre therein may interest you. http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

...I killed the king of deceit, now I sleep in anarchy...
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Justin

• friend
Good music forums?
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 09:44:08 PM »
If you're running iTunes or WinAmp, just browse through the streaming radio stations and kinda pick one at random.  Doing this, I've probably listened to more genres of music in the last year and a half than in the five years preceding.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

thorn

• friend
Good music forums?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 09:49:59 AM »
psytrance! probably too hard and fast for you, but if you check it out and like it, it has forums and free DLs t ono end

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
Good music forums?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 09:57:52 AM »
too hard and fast for me? how insulting
Jack
APS #22
Right?

JAlexander

• friend
Good music forums?
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 10:21:31 AM »
I've had decent luck with allmusic.com, as each band/artist has listings of related groups.  Otherwise, the suggestions about listening to streaming radio are definitely good.

James

thorn

• friend
Good music forums?
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 05:20:49 PM »
>>>too hard and fast for me? how insulting<<<

Awesome!!!
ok go to my site -
http://sftrance.com
it will bump you to the psy tribe, many links from there