Author Topic: Trees  (Read 1635 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Trees
« on: July 19, 2005, 11:51:51 AM »
Anyone here know much about trees?  Hell-Mart here has some variety of Maple, 6 footers, for $12 on clearance.  I live at 4700', its semi-arid, up to about 100 during the summer and dry, cold winters with snow.  Landscaped yard.  Tree would get mucho sun.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Trees
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 12:13:32 PM »
http://www.maple-trees.com/

Here in the Denver/Boulder area, silver maple does quite well in landscaped yards.  Semi-arid, hot/dry summers, cold winters with occasional deep snows.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Trees
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 12:34:02 PM »
Probably very similar geographically, since I'm in Salt Lake City (suburbs)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Trees
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 01:16:08 PM »
We had a maple in our yard, but it didn't do well because of the heavy clay soil.  The leaves would stay yellowish all summer even when we added iron.  Iron is plentiful in clay soils, but the roots can't utilize it.  The tree finally died.

Weather wasn't a factor though.  It gets over 100 degrees here in the summer and well below zero in the winter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Trees
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 05:58:22 AM »
If you want to buy a tree for where you live, try and buy from a local nursery that has stock that has been raised in the similar area where you live. Walmart buys there trees from the cheapest nursery they can. So if you go to walmart in Minnesota, that maple tree you bought might have been imported from Georgia. Talk with local forestor, probably one though the university extension to see what grows well in your area and soil type.

The bad thing about buying trees from an unknown source is you might be introducing pests or diseases to an area that doesn't have it yet. We are starting to get a Ash Borer problem here in Iowa from nursery stock that came from Michigan.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536