Author Topic: Iced coffee  (Read 11511 times)

Sean Smith

Iced coffee
« on: March 08, 2005, 05:19:58 AM »
Simple curiosity: is iced coffee (defined as: brewed coffe over ice, not foo-foo frozen frappuchino drinks) a traditional drink in your state?  Being from Rhode Island, iced coffee was available everywhere and accepted as a normal, commonplace drink for as long as anyone can remember.  But the whole idea of drinking coffee cold on purpose seems to be completely alien everywhere else I've been.  Is iced coffee a traditionally popular drink anywhere else in the U.S., or world for that matter?

Greg L

Iced coffee
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 06:13:58 AM »
When I plan ahead & feel like it I'll cold brew mine.  It actually makes a much smoother cup of coffee.  However I won't drink cold coffee.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iced coffee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 06:17:10 AM »
cold coffee.. yeech!  I hate it when I come into work still half asleep and thinking I got a cup of coffee that morning, take a sip from yesterdays cup of cold coffee.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sean Smith

Iced coffee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 06:22:14 AM »
cold coffee.. yeech!  I hate it when I come into work still half asleep and thinking I got a cup of coffee that morning, take a sip from yesterdays cup of cold coffee.

-Charby

It is iced coffee, not old room temperature coffee.   rolleyes

That's like somebody saying they wouldn't want to drink iced tea because an old cup of yesterday's hot tea at room temperature tastes foul.  Not the same thing at all.

Old, room temperature coffee tastes nasty.  Fresh iced coffee is an entirely different proposition.   Wink

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
Iced coffee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 02:02:24 PM »
I like normal iced coffee, but I haven't had it in a long time. I used to make it during my first job ever, big cup to drink quickly to stay up.

Gus Dddysgrl

Iced coffee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 02:31:59 PM »
Not really a big fan of iced coffee, however coffee flavored cold things are good.  Like the Mocha Moolatte from Dairy Queen.  I also like coffee ice cream.  But ice cold coffee no way.  

One of the guys at my office likes yesterday's coffee.  So my morning routine usually includes getting his coffee in his cup and heating it up.  They make fun of me cause I don't like it burning hot and will leave it sit.  Then I forget about it and it ets cold.  

Gus
Leigh Ober

doczinn

• friend
Iced coffee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 02:53:20 PM »
I don't know about a staple, but it sure is good! For me, it's usually an iced triple espresso.
D. R. ZINN

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Iced coffee
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 02:56:31 PM »
Know what's wierd?  It seems to me that Iced coffee is  much more popular in colder climates.  It's a given up here in the northeast, but when I went to florida a few years ago and went into the ubiquitous Dunkin Donuts and asked for Iced Coffee, the counter girl had absolutely no idea what to do.  It wasn't on the menu at all.

She ended up getting me a cup of ice and pouring hot coffee into it, resulting in watery lukewarm coffee. Blech!

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Iced coffee
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 05:15:08 PM »
Yes.

Born and raised in the South and folks have always had Iced Coffee.  Today it turned really warm , I had a number of glasses of iced coffee today.

Preacherman

Iced coffee
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 08:31:22 PM »
Growing up and living in South Africa, I was accustomed to iced coffee and hot tea.  Coming to the South in the USA, it got reversed!  Offer someone iced coffee or hot tea here, and they're likely to call a doctor for me!
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Iced coffee
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »
Preacherman-

Maybe LA differs from AR ( that is an understatement).  I mean granted it is perhaps seasonal, still iced coffee and tea are considered warm weather, hot tea more cool weather.  Hot coffee year round.

I've had iced coffee at LA Downs, DuMond's and other places in LA - served with 'gator, blackened fish,  gumbo, ...etc., any of the traditional foods in LA.   Same for TX, GA, MS ( I hope that is Mississippi) AL , and FL.

Perhaps your SA accent thru these folks off.  Do you ever get asked if you take your beer warm/ room temp?

Iced coffee
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 12:33:01 AM »
It used to be pretty popular up here in the Seattle area. But it has largely been replaced by the froo froo drinks. You CAN still get one though.

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

Iced coffee
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 03:42:41 AM »
The entirety of the southeastern USA would today be uninhabitable without iced coffee. Cream & sugar in mine please. Cheesy

Iced coffee is another thing that Starbucks completely screws up with their overpriced and very low quality coffee offerings.
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

Sean Smith

Iced coffee
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 03:54:22 AM »
The entirety of the southeastern USA would today be uninhabitable without iced coffee.

That was my thinking, but I never saw it when I went there.   :?:

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Iced coffee
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 04:40:54 AM »
I'm glad to hear that my FL experience was unique.  I love iced coffee.  Smiley

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Iced coffee
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »
Mmmm!

Iced Coffee!

I can't eat Thai food anymore without it.  

(Grabs keys and heads out door for Thai place...)  Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
Iced coffee
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 07:07:14 PM »
Doczinn, you are a man after my own heart.

Usually I go for the five shot iced Americano.

Current conditions dictate no more than two shots a day, but boy, do I savor them.

Wildalaska

• friend
Iced coffee
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 10:29:12 PM »
Gimme that Thai?Viet sweet iced cofee...

or some of that canned iced japaese stuff...

NYC...growing up..I gots lemonade the adults got their cofee iced...maxwell House too

WildgoodtothelastdropAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Moondoggie

• friend
Iced coffee
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 10:42:48 PM »
Not only no, but heck no!

Iced coffee is a crime against nature.

And that's how I really feel.

Your results may vary...that's one of the beautiful things about America.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

crt360

• friend
Iced coffee
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 12:21:09 PM »
Here in Texas, I had never even heard of iced coffee until about 10 years ago.  Is that the stuff that comes in a bottle that's found in many convenience stores somewhere between the sodas and fruit juices?  Pretty much everyone I know drinks coffee, but I have never actually seen anyone drinking iced coffee.  I have been known to drink old room temperature coffee at work, just because I didn't want to waste it.
For entertainment purposes only.

Sean Smith

Iced coffee
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 12:35:28 PM »
Here in Texas, I had never even heard of iced coffee until about 10 years ago.  Is that the stuff that comes in a bottle that's found in many convenience stores somewhere between the sodas and fruit juices?  Pretty much everyone I know drinks coffee, but I have never actually seen anyone drinking iced coffee.  I have been known to drink old room temperature coffee at work, just because I didn't want to waste it.

No, that stuff is foo-foo frappuchino crap that is mostly milk and sugar.

Picture a big glass of iced tea.  You see a big glass, with tea in it that used to be hot, because that's how you brew tea, but it is now cold, because it is in that big glass that is full of ice.

Now replace the tea with coffee.  You see a big glass, with coffee in it that used to be hot, because that's how you brew coffee, but it is now cold, because it is in that big glass that is full of ice.

I can't make you like it, but I can make you understand what the heck it is I'm talking about.  

crt360

• friend
Iced coffee
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 12:47:35 PM »
I'm learning something new every day.  I guess I've never even seen it before.  The next time I make a pitcher of tea maybe I'll substitute coffee and see how people react when they unknowingly sample it.  :?
For entertainment purposes only.

Jacobus Rex

Iced coffee
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 07:17:59 AM »
I'm from Texas as well and never even heard of iced cofee until a few years ago.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Iced coffee
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005, 07:50:20 AM »
When we had the coffeehouse we had (still have, to be precise) one of those 'slushy' machines- a double-barrelled one. One and usually both sides were filled initially with a commercial mix that was euphemistically called 'mocha latte frappuchino' until SWMBO and I decided to experiment and devise our own recipie for the stuff that was a much superior product that was incidentally much less expensive to put together.  The main ingredients were whole milk, about a quart of espresso, a good bit of sugar and a special chocolate syrup that would hold up without breaking down under low temperature.  Rural East Texans would buy the stuff by the carload. The stuff flat SOLD! We'd end up making maybe 6 plus gallons a day...on weekdays, more on Fridays and the weekend.  It took a little time to perfect the stuff, though. Using Half-and -Half or heavy cream tended to turn it into a butter churn which was a little odd, but hey, nowadays folks buy crap with tapioca balls in it (icky!).  We figured there was something like 1500 calories in an 8 oz. cup of it, not to mention the caffeine load.  Folks came back for the 'coffee crack' as they soon came to call it.  It'll really get you going on a hot, otherwise lazy afternoon.

Bubba was always stopping in asking if we had 'them frappycheenies' he'd been hearin' 'bout.

Vietnamese coffee, with sweetened  condensed milk is also a treat unto itself in the summer. Ever tried it on snowcones? Yum.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Iced coffee
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2005, 09:32:11 AM »
Love iced coffee.  My favorite is the stuff you get at Thai and Indian restaurants.  At least, when they get it right.  Several years ago, a friend and I stopped for lunch in one, and we ordered Iced Coffee.  When it arrived, it took a big sip, expecting sweet, creamy joy.  Nope.  The prep person had used TABLE SALT instead of suger!  Though it might not have been bad as topping over some kind of bland base, like rice.

Iced coffee is just the thing for a Friday morning after working a week of graveyard shift and you don't have to go to work till next week.  Keeps ya awake to enjoy the day off in a "slightly altered state" while doing the household chores like laundry, vacuuming and such.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.