Author Topic: Contact lens wearers  (Read 6495 times)

12 Volt Man

Contact lens wearers
« on: March 08, 2005, 05:43:04 AM »
I got tired of wearing glasses.  I have worn them for 8 years.  They fog up outdoors at the most inconvenient times.  Like when I am pulling my scope up on a deer last year   Sad

Anyway, I went in to the doc and got a prescription for contacts.  He is going to give me some sort of breathable lens called o2 optix.  Supposed to be similar to the accuview atvantage lenses.  

You are supposes to be able to use them for two weeks and then throw them away.  This is fine for me, but being a frugal cheap bastard I wonder how much mileage you can really get out of a pair?  I know a buddy of mine wears his for up to a month.  

Do any of you contact wearers go past the two week recommendation???

Intune

• The Shakes
Contact lens wearers
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 05:47:20 AM »
Months.  Clean & disinfect them gently every week or so and they'll work until you tear one.

uvakat

• friend
Contact lens wearers
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 06:05:36 AM »
I change mine about once every two weeks... but that's more cause of lazyiness... You can wear them for months if you clean then and use an enzyme remover
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

client32

• friend
Contact lens wearers
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 09:06:17 AM »
I don't remember the brand of mine, but they are month long breathable contacts.  The Dr. even said sleeping a night or two in them would be ok.  I stretch them out to about 1.5 months.

Keep them clean.  Rub them.  Do all that stuff you may think is not neccassary and they will last longer.  I notice mine start to get uncomforable after about 1.5 months.  This why I only go that long.  I do notice that if I wear glasses and give everything a rest from time to time, they will last longer.

And just because I have gotten the dreaded GPC, if you can't make them feel right, go see your Dr.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

PlayTheAces

Contact lens wearers
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 03:46:26 PM »
I've worn them close to twenty years, and the only reason I haven't gone the lasik route is because the contacts are so cheap and easy for me.

The ones I wear are rated for two weeks, and I get three to four weeks on them without trying.  If I cleaned them occassionally, I could go longer.

A lot depends on how sensitive your eyes are.  When you first start wearing them, you'll probably have to replace them sooner.  Most people built up a tolerance the longer they wear them.

Whole Hog

Contact lens wearers
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 03:59:13 PM »
I wear Accuvue Torics and change them on the first day of each month, whether or not they need it.  I'm sure with a little care they'd last longer, but I don't do anything but soak them every night in B&L ReNu.

I do keep the old pair around for a month just in case I need a spare.

Scott

Edmond

Contact lens wearers
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 04:16:48 AM »
The 2 week life span is a pretty conservative rating.  I use mine longer.  I actually like wearing glasses more than contacts.  My eyes get pretty tired after a few hours of wearing contacts.

I have only used a few pairs of those 2 week contacts in 1 1/2 years.
Edmond.

buy guns

Contact lens wearers
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 09:39:33 AM »
i have two week contacts but wear them at least a month. most times i will forget about changing them and wear the same ones until my eyes begin to get sore during the day which usually takes at least two months.

12 Volt Man

Contact lens wearers
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 11:44:55 AM »
Interesting.  Sounds like I might get a month or so out of each pair.  I see how it goes.  Thanks for the tips.

12 Volt Man

Contact lens wearers
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 07:20:36 AM »
Got them last night.  I am wearing them now after a 45 minute battle this morning to get them in.  
Computer screen is blurry.  I hope that goes away as my eyes get used to them.  
Very much different than I expected.  I can hardly feel that they are there.  If the blurry computer screen does not go away, I may be forced to switch back to glasses.  It is giving me a headache.

client32

• friend
Contact lens wearers
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 08:06:14 AM »
Getting them in will get easier.  It took me a while before I was able to do it first try every try.

As far as the screen, I don't know.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
Contact lens wearers
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 08:48:46 AM »
thats gross, I buy daily disposables from CostCo... fresh pair every day... at night, pitch em.
Getting fitted for daily disposables is way cheaper than getting fitted for long term disponsable.

atek3

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Contact lens wearers
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 09:13:04 AM »
As others have observed, getting them in will come with practice.  When I first stated wearing contacts in H.S, it was a 30 minute ordeal.  Now, its about two minutes, most of that washing the hands and letting them air dry before putting the lenses in.  It will take some time to adapt to contacts, and to retrain the eye muscles to focus correctly.  Unless you've got them in backwards, or in the wrong eye. Smiley  When I go for long periods of just glasses, then back to contacts, I step up the wear periods daily.  Four hours at first, then six, then eight, etc...  If the blurryness/headaches continue, see the eye doc you got them from.  He/She should have given you a trail pair in your prescription if they were in stock (mine are, and I have a strong prescription).

"I've worn them close to twenty years, and the only reason I haven't gone the lasik route is because the contacts are so cheap and easy for me."

Same here, 20+ years of contacts.  Only I've not done the Lasik thing 'cause if the procedure is botched, they eyes CANNOT be replaced.  Yet. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

RRTX

Contact lens wearers
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 09:32:03 AM »
I wear Accuview 2's, they are supposed to be changed every two weeks but I average about 2-3 months before they get uncomforatable.

stever

Contact lens wearers
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 11:03:55 AM »
Rule 1 with contact lenses is that if you do not clean or replace them as scheduled don't come crying when you have problems.  This is funny, how many of you religiously clean your guns but won't clean or replace your contact lenses.  What is more important your guns or your eyes?

The computer screen may be blurry from a few different reasons.  If you are around 40 or older you probably need reading glasses, the contact lenses could be drying out, or you may have some uncorrected astigmatism that your contact lenses do not correct.