Author Topic: Vehicle help/recommendations for northern Maine?  (Read 5508 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
Vehicle help/recommendations for northern Maine?
« on: March 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »
Hey folks. I'm looking to upgrade from my '97 Sunfire. I'm looking for recommendations for a good car and a small or mid-size truck that can hold up well in northern Maine. For the car, I'd just like gas mileage in the upper 20's or lower 30's, and for the truck I'd like to be able to haul around some crap (furniture, a snowmobile, etc.) and do light off-road driving during the winter.

I'm 23 and trying to keep the price under the mid-teens. I've been looking at all sorts of new offerings from every dealership in this area but I'm open to buying used if you can educate me a bit. Within an hour we have GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Mitsubishi, and Toyota (disclaimer: I do not want a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep) dealerships.

I just need it to hold up on the terrible roads and winter conditions here in northern Maine. The roads suck 10 months out of the year and this winter we're on pace to break the all-time snowfall record of 181".

What would you recommend from each company (or any one company or whatever)?

Right now my front runner for a car is the Chevy HHR and for a truck is the Toyota Tacoma.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Vehicle help/recommendations for northern Maine?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »
Tacomas are outstanding vehicles.

For cars, I am a fan of newer hyundais.  I had an elantra, and it was an outstanding car.  Its not an accord, but it was reliable and surefooted. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:53:28 PM »
Well, stay away from Chryslers and their ilk (the only good thing about Chrysler trucks is the diesel ones have the Cummins engine).

Toyotas are always good bets. I just couldn't find a used Tundra or Tacoma that anybody was willing to turn loose of for a reasonable price. That says something right there.

GM is also good- don't know much about the newer years, though. Ford might be OK (at least better than Chrysler). Honda good too.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 05:58:57 PM »
I've been eyeing the Tacoma for my next vehicle. I was thinking about the Tundra but I had heard some bad mojo about them.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mfree

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
Nods to the Hyundai as well for the car; As far as the truck goes... find something used, in 4wd, with a common V8. Straight front axle is even better. It's hard to go wrong with that combo...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 06:15:48 PM »
Well, if you won't consider a Jeep I can't help you. Nothing like eliminating the vehicle best suited to your climate right from the start.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 06:26:15 PM »
Supposedly Subaru Outbacks and the Legacy sedans (all wheel drive) are very popular in Maine, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and other areas where they have tons of snow.

I've been in some heavy snows and some really bad roads in my Outback and it's a freaking mountain goat. I've gotten places where pickup trucks haven't been able to go.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:16:27 PM »
JJ:
I have heard the Tacoma is a great truck. After doing some comparisons it seems like you can just get more truck for the money there. The hard part is finding one that's available for anything less than $18,000.

Unfortunately we don't have a Hyundai dealership in the area, otherwise I'd give them a look. Their new cars are getting good reviews.

Avenger:
For now I've already ruled out Chrysler for personal reasons. I actually like some of the offerings from Jeep and Dodge.

With the Toyota, they just seem to last forever. The highest mileage vehicles I've personally seen have all been from Toyota. It's like you said though, hard to find a good Tacoma for under $18,000. At least a 4x4.

GM has been great in my experience (I wish I had the cash for a Silverado with active fuel management). You'd be surprised at what my '97 Sunfire has been through and it is still a solid vehicle. I've checked GM for the Chevy HHR and the GMC Canyon (are they serious about the console in the Canyon though? It looks like a toy). I like what Saturn has been doing too.

Ford has been impressive lately too. I've taken a strong look at the Ford Fusion. I also found a great deal on an '08 Ford F-150 4x2 with a V8, but I'm not sure I can afford the gas.

Charby:
What about the Tundra? I've heard very little in the way of complaints. From what I hear it's a 5-star vehicle. I think you can throw a plow on the '08 or '09 versions now too. I think it's genuine competition for Chevy/GMC and Ford.

MFree:
I'll have to figure out the cost to own a Hyundai in this area since we lack a dealership within 3 hours. I don't think it's going to work out though.

What are the common V8 engines? I'm pretty sure I can find a Chevy/GMC or a Ford in my price range. Actually I'm fairly certain. The trouble with a bigger truck for me is affording the gas though. Doesn't hurt to learn about it though.

HawkMoon:
Jeep is fairly predominant around here. The Cherokee and Liberty specifically (not sure I want to gas them up though). My problem is the ownership at the local dealership. Guy is an ass and likes to take advantage of people. Also, when one of his mechanics drove my mother's Dodge Neon into a wall, he actually turned into a bigger ass, believe it or not. When they get their act together up there, I'll stop by.

Mike:
Subaru is another predominant brand up here - you're right. Even the Baja has a small following. I have priced used models and I could swing a pretty decent one (but no way am I buying a new one with that ugly face). I've had the pleasure of driving Subaru's Legacy, Forester, and WRX. Not only were they absolutely amazing drivers, but their reliability seems to be comparable to Toyota.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 07:42:51 PM »
You might want to look at some crossovers to cover both grounds. Depends if you want to pull a trailer to haul the big stuff (snowmobile). I have been very pleased with my wife's Mitsubishi Outlander; its based on the EVO drivetrain, AWD, same engine but without the turbo. It gets around 20city and 25hwy. For us, it basically serves the duty a full size car used to do. Comparing to a full size car, it gets about the same mpg has little bit more interior space and a little bit more hauling capacity. It lacks power, but hey its an suv not a sportscar so who cares.
Outlanders compete with Honda CR-Vs, Toyota RAV4. Each of these come with AWD options and vary in price. Although the AWD design is not optimized for serious offroading like some jeeps and trucks, it has handled very well on ice and snow on steep grades.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

LAK

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:38:24 PM »
Subaru, Toyota, Honda would be my forein preference in that order. All generally very reliable and comparatively thrifty on gas. Downside is the cost of spares and repairs.

If I were in your position I would go for a standard Jeep. With the straight six motor they are still a good on and offroad vehicle, spares abound and the list of aftermarket accessories and suppliers is staggering.

-----------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 01:28:09 AM »
Here's a place that has some info on these cars.....

www.insideautomotive.com
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 02:28:51 AM »
toyota and honda never quit if you keep the oil changed. subaru would be third. as far as a pickup goes toyota has that wrapped up, but it's hard to find one that will get even 20 mpg.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 02:33:45 AM »
Why buy new?
I had an Elantra....5 speed, 18,000 miles and two years old when I purchased it for $8900...almost half what they are new.  I put 30,000 miles on it.  Great little car.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 02:44:16 AM »
if able, i agree. a new car loses almost 1/3rd of its value in the first 2-3 years. we bought a 4 year old 1 owner honda cr-v for less than half the new value. it only had 28k miles. it has been a great vehicle, and gets around 26-28 mpg. ours is the 2 wheel drive, but they do come in awd (although they were not recommending them for off road use at that time).
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »
I see a hell of a lot of inverted Cherokees beside the road every winter.  smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 04:22:40 AM »
I've often said that winter doesn't truly start for me until I see my first SUV turned turtle because the idiot driver doesn't get the concept of what 4WD will, and will not, do for you.

And yes, the Subaru Baja is very likely the single ugliest car on the road today.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 04:26:21 AM »
Common V8 engines? What I meant by that is avoiding the "wierd" motors, if you run across them... the common ones are much easier to find parts for. GM's 305, 350, 454... Ford's 302, 351W, 460, Chrysler's 318, 360, 440. Ford's 300 straight six is a good engine too as well as Jeep's 4.0 liter.

Uncommon ones, as much as I hate to admit (it's a "pet" motor) is something like Ford's 351M/400 motor, or the very old 360v8... or finding a chevy truck with a 265 in it, or a dodge with an A engine or early semi-hemi, just stuff that didn't span decades and may have issue with parts availability both native and aftermarket.

Aftermarket parts availability isn't just for speed, it adds a whole world to how creatively you can fix something if there's an issue with the native parts. The local dealer may be gouging you $800 something for a replacement stock intake manifold on a 351W when you can mail-order an edelbrock aluminum intake for less, as an example.

Oh, and learn how to tune a carb and set points, that's easy stuff and will greatly expand the number of vehicles you'd be comfortable with... particularly points. There are a lot of beat up trucks down this way that go for pennies because the original owner let the dwell drift out of range so far the engine barely runs, and doesn't know how to adjust. One would buy it, limp it home, whip the dizzy cap off and maybe 2 minutes later after fiddling with a screwdriver and a feeler guage it's running fine.

Oh, and read up on transfer cases. Some are great, some suck, and they are on the edge of being considered a wear item (regular replacement) when they suck, and there's next to no rule of thumb as to what you'll find under a particular truck.

And don't be afraid to crawl under and give the driveshafts a shake; if they have play that's a good sign that the truck wasn't maintained as well as it might look like after a prep to sale.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 04:32:19 AM »
I've often said that winter doesn't truly start for me until I see my first SUV turned turtle because the idiot driver doesn't get the concept of what 4WD will, and will not, do for you.

And yes, the Subaru Baja is very likely the single ugliest car on the road today.

I still think that honor belongs to the Pontiac Aztek, the only car whose looks are improved by a front-end collision.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 04:36:31 AM »
I'm going to have to say a Subaru Outback.

The Toyota Highlander isn't to bad, either.

But the Outback is a great car.
One day at a time.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 05:25:00 AM »

Charby:
What about the Tundra? I've heard very little in the way of complaints. From what I hear it's a 5-star vehicle. I think you can throw a plow on the '08 or '09 versions now too. I think it's genuine competition for Chevy/GMC and Ford.

I read somewhere about issues with the engine and a weak transmission, but that might have been sorted out.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mfree

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 06:01:45 AM »
In the tundra owner's manual is a warning to never place more than 200 pounds on the open tailgate.

Those who do so will find the tailgate bent, or worse collapsing.

It is *not* a good working truck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 06:31:47 AM »
If you don't have to drive the pickup a lot, you might consider an older full size Chevy or Ford 4x4.  Pre-1988 is better for Chevy/GMC if you can find one (1975-80 even better).

The gas mileage isn't that much worse (14-16 as opposed to maybe 16-18).  You can buy a lot of gas for what you could save in the purchase price.  Repairs are cheap(er) and simple on the older pickups.

OTOH, I suppose everything is all rusted out and scrapped already on the east coast Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 06:36:29 AM »
If you don't have to drive the pickup a lot, you might consider an older full size Chevy or Ford 4x4.  Pre-1988 is better for Chevy/GMC if you can find one (1975-80 even better).

The gas mileage isn't that much worse (14-16 as opposed to maybe 16-18).  You can buy a lot of gas for what you could save in the purchase price.  Repairs are cheap(er) and simple on the older pickups.

OTOH, I suppose everything is all rusted out and scrapped already on the east coast Sad

Where there's salt up here, the Fords and GMs are biodegradable. The Japanese and German cars stay sharp seemingly forever. Not sure what's different about their body treatments.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 06:42:47 AM »
I'd go with a subaru, older RS and legacies are inexpensive if you want a sedan, or outbacks if you want a wagon.  I love me some subarus.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 06:44:37 AM »
There was a boatbuilder up in NS that built a wooden body for his rusted out pickup.  It was an older 2wd Datsun, IIRC. 

That guy was amazing.  He lived and worked off-grid, and had hand/pedal powered woodshop tools.  He did have an old sawmill powered by a 6-cyl chevy engine IIRC.

We had awful bad luck with our Subaru Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin