Author Topic: What's the big deal with Che Guevara?  (Read 18347 times)

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
What's the big deal with Che Guevara?
« on: March 08, 2005, 06:00:58 PM »
I see pictures of this guy all over the place.  I read about him for my terrorism class a few years back, and I never could understand what the big deal was with him.  Anyone know why he's so popular as an icon?

natedog

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 06:03:17 PM »
I'm not sure why, but I think it's funny that you have whole lines of clothing and merchandise being sold through free enterprise with the logo of a communist revolutionary...

Ask most the teenagers wearing Che clothes if they're communist and they'll look confused.  :?

nico

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 06:31:15 PM »
All I know about him is that he was an extremely violent revolutionary who helped put Castro in power.  Why people idolize him I have no idea.  I was thinking about buying this shirt to wear to school and see what kind of reactions I get:  http://www.thoseshirts.com/commies.html

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 06:59:08 PM »
He was John Kerry with more facial hair and charisma, but a lot less hunting luck. Same fundamental philosophy.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Preacherman

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 08:35:11 PM »
Think of Josef Stalin with a Greenpeace makeover.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 10:09:42 PM »
Im reading a biography of Che....quite a complex character...

Political discussion aside, the guy was a major asthmatic....he fought his jungle wars literally on willpower and a total disregard for death...to that extent he reminds me of the Spanish Fascists going into battle singin Viva la Muerta....

Intersting he was less a doctrainaire Communist than a revolutionary....he had a picture in his head of Yankeee Imperialism that the revolution would crush, leading of course to freedom for all the downtrodden...but hey, meet the new boss, same as the old boss....easy to tear donw, no idea how to build up..

To a certain extent, his revolutionary rhetoric reminds me of the Patriot rhetoric I see on "that other Board"

WildoooyeahboardwarAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 02:33:18 AM »
Yeah, I seem to recall that he was a genuinely selfless sort of person, and that he put his beliefe way, way ahead of his personal safety and health.  Don't recall much else though.  I should read up on him again.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Suoiruf Selyts

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 03:19:07 AM »
It's too bad this phpBB isn't set up for avatars.

This is what I use elsewhere:

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 03:46:25 AM »
Che is just another icon, like Hitler, latched onto by losers who can't compete in a capitalist economy, and feel a need to be all morally superior in some twisted way in order to compensate.
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

Edmond

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 04:13:48 AM »
I see mostly kids wearing the shirts.  If you asked them who that person was and what he did, they probably couldn't answer you.  Maybe they saw it on TV and think it's "cool." :?
Edmond.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 05:21:04 AM »
 Anyone know why he's so popular as an icon?

There was a biographical movie about him released in 2004.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 05:30:40 AM »
I've been wondering about this whole thing myself lately.  

The guy was nothing more than a murderer and a thug.  Not to mention he wasn't a very good revolutionary.  It's kinda funny that he went to Bolivia thinking the people would join him in his little revolution.  Not only did they not join him, they turned around and dropped a big ole dime on his sorry butt.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Arc-Lite

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 07:09:48 AM »
He did help in the change in Cuba, and was the  main man behind Castro, until Castro became #1, then he was a "power" problem, and sent into the Bolivian jungles, to spread his ways.... the anti forces with "support", used one of the first "Hi Tech" gizmos of the time, a heat sensing device, that could detect the temps. of the favorite cooking pot....of Che's jungle chef, which led to his capture, and execution...many years later his remains were sent back to Cuba....and Castro, made him a hero, for Castros cause. All in all a man of strong beliefs, that applied those beliefs...in his life, and was used and abused...in the name of Castro, good lesson here.  He was a revolutionary not a communist, this title was applied for Castro use and gain....and now his photo, is applied for the use and gain, of the "T" shirt companies.
Peace be the Journey......

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 07:48:26 AM »
Years ago I dated this chick who was pretty lefty (member of NOW, former Wiccan,  etc).

Anyway she had a Che t-shirt and I asked her why ... her response "He's just so dreamy!"

:shock:

So basically if Hitler would have had a better hair cut and shaved that stupid looking Charlie Chaplan moustache then modern liberal idiots would be wearing him on a TShirt too.

kfranz

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 07:54:37 AM »
His image is so popular in part because the lead singer from Rage Against the Machine wore one of his shirts....

Arc-Lite

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 08:11:53 AM »
his photo was popular when Rage was sucking thumb.
Peace be the Journey......

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 12:28:39 PM »
Che is the 21st century equivalent of Panama Jack, a cultural icon devoid of any real meaning.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 12:54:43 PM »

Che' burger, Che' burger, Che' burger!

Pepsi!

No Coke!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 03:11:55 PM »
Pamana Che, Panama Che...

Fidel steal yo lady, shoot you in da back...
Blog under construction

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2005, 03:15:18 PM »
This is my pick:

PlayTheAces

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2005, 03:46:19 PM »
I think Che's mystique came about in two ways.

First, Castro built him into a martyr for his own cause.  All revolutions need a martyr or two.  Keeps the common folk revved up, doncha know.

Second, you can blame us baby boomers to a certain extent.  In the 60's, anything anti-establishment was hip.  Che personified anti-establishment.  Che posters were a big swap meet seller back then.  Different time, different place.

uvakat

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 02:39:41 AM »
Years ago I dated this chick who was pretty lefty (member of NOW, former Wiccan,  etc).

Anyway she had a Che t-shirt and I asked her why ... her response "He's just so dreamy!"

Ouch I'm soo sorry... but I can't say much. My roommate is like that. I think she's a member of NOW. She belongs to environmental groups, and wants Hiliary Clinton as president, and her reasons for her beliefs are just like the chick you dated... (umm I think I need to rethink my living situation  Sad  )
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 02:39:50 AM »
I am struck by the similarity between Che and Yassir Arafat. Both trained as physicians, and both nothing but murderous sociopaths.

"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 06:08:19 AM »
Che was a muderous thug.

Among his accomplishments was the setting up of the Cuban gulag-equivalent, in addition to his personal participation in, and ordering the murder of, countless Cubans who held views out of step with Castro & Che.

Fawning biographies and movies don't do their shades justice.

WA wrote:
To a certain extent, his revolutionary rhetoric reminds me of the Patriot rhetoric I see on "that other Board"

rolleyes

Well, now that's pretty clever.  WA gets in the "Patriot=Che" dig while using the wiggle-syntax of "To a certain extent," and "*rhetoric."

WA thus preserves the options of:
a. Backpeddaling
OR (preferably)
b. An indignant defense/offense that includes waving the "To a certan extent" flag combined with a "don't read anything into my post" parry to be followed up with a thrust consisting of one of Che's quotes.

I think this ought to fit the bill for the quote:
Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.

...or maybe...
Many will call me an adventurer - and that I am, only one of a different sort: one of those who risks his skin to prove his platitudes.

Just gotta appreciate a fellow who can simultaneously compare someone(s) with a marxist mass-murderer while leaving a handy escape hatch (if called on it) as well as the option of a riposte...all in a single sentence!

JFatrocitywrappedinprettywordsisstillatrocityRuser
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 06:29:40 AM »
Ouch I'm soo sorry... but I can't say much. My roommate is like that. I think she's a member of NOW. She belongs to environmental groups, and wants Hiliary Clinton as president, and her reasons for her beliefs are just like the chick you dated... (umm I think I need to rethink my living situation  Sad  )

As I get older I'm much less tolerant of people with what I believe are ideals built on stupid ideas and I find my life is better when I don't allow myself to be surrounded by liberals ... on the other hand, liberal chicks (especially extremely liberal chicks) are good for one thing  Wink