Author Topic: "black" civil rights leaders afraid Obama's rise will end victim status  (Read 12335 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: "black" civil rights leaders afraid Obama's rise will end victim status
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 03:58:58 AM »
and -- perhaps -- accept personal accountability.  i.e., get over stuff that happened in the 1880s, that never happened to them, anyway

Gasp! How dare you?!?
 shocked
Hey, we agree on something!!!!

While the fact that we agree is somewhat alarming...  Smiley  ...we've stumbled onto a real issue: apologists.

When Obama is elected (he will be), the folks trailing for a free lunch will desire theirs, ASAP.  I don't really think he's going to give it to them, making him a "high, yellow, turncoat."

Post election, his troubles will have just started.

Then, the disillusionment will TRULY begin.

If it wasn't for the fact that I think he will truly help push through mandatory gun registration and put hardcore liberals on the court, neither of which is reversible once done, I would say that he would be a fine example of democrat incompetence and that, if he was elected, it would be like choking the liberals with everything they thought they wanted, until they realize just how awful it is in reality.

As it is, though, we can't afford the damage he would do, especially to the second amendment.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 06:26:08 AM »
If it wasn't for the fact that I think he will truly help push through mandatory gun registration and put hardcore liberals on the court, neither of which is reversible once done, I would say that he would be a fine example of democrat incompetence and that, if he was elected, it would be like choking the liberals with everything they thought they wanted, until they realize just how awful it is in reality.

As it is, though, we can't afford the damage he would do, especially to the second amendment.

I think it's worse than that.

If an Obama admin and a Democrat controlled Congress makes any real push for gun control, in the Post-Heller era, they're going to have to use every creative end-run tactic in the book to get around it. And that's going to set up all sorts of dangerous precedents for Constitutional problems, fiat governance, and separation of powers issues that will be with us in all sorts of other areas beyond the erosion of RKBA.

OTOH, the radioactivity of the gun issue, the Heller decision, and (presumed) Democrat supremacy in both houses and the white house, could just gut the gun issue as a needed wedge issue, since there's no need for wedging when you have control.

And as to what the impact of an Obama Presidency or loss would have on the "race problem" in the U.S. I think it's all been said. It's complicated and I don't know what exactly will happen.

- Obama loses. Riots yes/no? Some final disillusionment. "It was rigged, the man kept us down again" type of sentiment?

- Obama wins. He's hemmed in by the realties of office and politics. Nothing changes. Disillusionment in "President Oreo"?

- Obama wins. Total liberal orgy of new social spending. And just like all the other decades of social spending, nothing changes, or it actually makes things worse for them. And it weakens the American economy, hurting them further. Do they care? Yes/no? Or is it okay, since they seem to tolerate their current crop of worthless "civil rights leaders", and having "their guy" as POTUS, who does as little for them as Jesse and ilk have is status-quo?

- Obama wins. It causes the race debate to end, like these minority leaders fear. Then what? Poor minorities start the real crawl to responsibility/stability that's needed to truly improve their lot? Does the economic damage, and welfare dependency of a liberal administration short-circuit, and eat that up, just like LBJ's "great society" derailed the civil rights movement?

I dunno. Despite our desire to pigeon hole everything, as usual in real life, I think it'll be some muddled combination of "all of the above".
I promise not to duck.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »
Obama isn't the issue.  Obama-ISM is.   He represents half a century of moral and political errancy that has taken us farther and farther away from the core virtues that made America the alternative to tribal darkness.  Obama-ism is pervasive in most of the current American institutions.  He may lose this Election but the insanity will go on.  And on.  And on.  It won't end until and unless there is a dramatic re-awakening by the remaining "adults" and a willingness to really fight for the preservation of liberty.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »
Ms. Smith said. Our concern is that well get lost in the shuffle.

Once you've been the "privileged" minority, with a greater claim to past injustices than any other minority (as the Native Americans might quite rightly contest), it's hard to become "just another" minority.  rolleyes

I predict riots in LA, Chicago, Detroit, DC, and probably a dozen other large cities after the election.

Because nothing says "Injustice!" like trashing your equally-poor neighbor's car and setting fire to the few businesses who care enough to locate in your neighborhood.

When Obama is elected (he will be), the folks trailing for a free lunch will desire theirs, ASAP.  I don't really think he's going to give it to them, making him a "high, yellow, turncoat."

Zeke, that's spot on, though I don't think the Jesse Jackson's of the movement think that, and are preparing themselves accordingly.  But though he's disavowed himself of the Rev. Wright's viewpoints, Obama attended the man's church for twenty years!  You think he somehow missed the rhetoric in all that time?  Or maybe he slept through the sermons.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 07:52:15 PM »
and -- perhaps -- accept personal accountability.  i.e., get over stuff that happened in the 1880s, that never happened to them, anyway

Gasp! How dare you?!?
 shocked
Hey, we agree on something!!!!

While the fact that we agree is somewhat alarming...  Smiley  ...we've stumbled onto a real issue: apologists.

A very interesting take, Zeke.  I wonder how many others are thinking and wondering about this?  It will certainly be entertaining to watch, should it happen.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.