Author Topic: Chicago Tribune: It's Palin for VP  (Read 76192 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Chicago Tribune: It's Palin for VP
« Reply #200 on: September 03, 2008, 02:38:38 AM »
Calling LBJ a token is also a misuse, unless Lloyd Bentson on the Dukkakis/Bentson ticket was a token.

A reasonable person could not possibly believe otherwise.

Ah, you use "token" like many folks use "racist."

IOW, you stretch and distort it beyond its accepted definition so that everyone, everywhere (including yourself) is a token. 

In the end, it becomes useless, meaningless cant because if everyone is a token, the word describes nothing unique about any particular individual.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #201 on: September 03, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »
Ah, now they are stooping to identity theft.

Classy.

That's not identity theft.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Are We There Yet?
« Reply #202 on: September 03, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »
So, did she deliver her speech?

Anyone tracking this?

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #203 on: September 03, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »
She speaks tonight at 9:00, I think.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »
She speaks tonight at 9:00, I think.

Depending upon where you are in the country.

It is 9:00 PM in KC, MO, and Rudy isn't even on, yet.
Zeke

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »
Intended schedule:
http://www.gopconvention2008.com/schedule/

Palin was scheduled speak at the the tail end of the 9:00 to 10:00 hour.  They've been taking things somewhat out of order, and they seem to be a few minutes behind schedule.  Looks like she's up next, though.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2008, 06:17:17 PM »
They buried her for two days -- ducking a plethora of news issues -- and she comes out and performs the litany of Reagan, attack dog, "we are the law," pander-to-the-Right Wing speech with some gravitas.  (Impressive.)

It's going to get nasty.
Zeke

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2008, 06:20:07 PM »
They buried her for two days -- ducking a plethora of news issues -- and she comes out and performs the litany of Reagan, attack dog, "we are the law," pander-to-the-Right Wing speech with some gravitas.  (Impressive.)

It's going to get nasty.
Nasty indeed.  This woman is a disaster for Obama and the Democrats.  We've seen them try to destroy the poor woman and her family, but I'm afraid it's only going worse.  She's too great a threat for them to leave her alone.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2008, 06:27:50 PM »

It's going to get nasty.
Nasty indeed.  This woman is a disaster for Obama and the Democrats.  We've seen them try to destroy the poor woman and her family, but I'm afraid it's only going worse.  She's too great a threat for them to leave her alone.

Any "disaster" will be based upon the veracity of any statements made against her: The Enquirer, of all publications, has proven quite adept, recently.

I think she winds up burying the McCain campaign, either by being Swift-boated and/or championing a duly unpalatable, Right-Wing, Republicanism.  (Can McCain win without selling his soul to such types?)

A, pilfered, attempt at a Palin scandal compendium:

1. Lack of experience hypocrisy. McCain spent the entire summer attacking Obama over his lack of experience, and then picked a far less experienced politician for his running mate. McCain's 2008 presidential campaign actually started before Palin took office.

2. A reformer under investigation. Palin is being sold as a reformer, even though she is currently facing an ethics probe (from other Republicans), and recently hired a lawyer to help her with that investigation. She is probably guilty too, considering that she did the exact same thing when she was a mayor. However, it wasn't illegal when she fired people for political purposes as a mayor. While occupying the governor's mansion, I believe it is.

3. Family values: Her 17-year old daughter is pregnant. Not only did Palin thus expose her daughter to endless humiliation in front of the entire world by accepting the slot, but it isn't even clear if Palin told the McCain campaign about the situation before she accepted the slot. Oh, and Palin opposes birth control, even for married couples.

4. Extreme right-winger: Even though she is being sold to moderates, it turns out she is an extremely hard-core wingnut, supporting Pat Buchannan and a whole host of other disturbing things.

5. Deep ties to Alaska pork: Palin claims she opposed "the bridge to nowhere," but she was actually in favor of it for a while. She also loves earmarks and Ted Stevens.

6. Secessionist? Oh yeah, and she also might be a secessionist.

7. Lack of prior relationship with McCain: As it turns out, she only met, and talked with, McCain once before being selected. No wonder Republican lawyers are still vetting her. This is some excellent preparation by the McCain campaign for McCain's first presidential decision.

Palin was obviously picked entirely for political reasons, not because McCain knew her or believed in her at all. Even then, the pick was an extremely poor one. With more hurricanes bearing down on the Gulf Coast, the whole thing smacks of Arabian Horse master Michael Brown and post-Katrina FEMA. Unqualified people are placed in major positions of responsibility just because they are hard right-winger. This is how Republicans govern, and a national reminder of that is really crushing McCain in the polls.

Keep in mind that the first couple days after being selected are usually the best media that VP picks receive. It will actually get worse for Palin from here on out.
Zeke

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »
It will actually get worse for Palin from here on out.

Watched it.

Don't think she's worried.

Lady may be a rookie, but she's a pro.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Intune

• The Shakes
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2008, 07:10:58 PM »
Ezekiel, I began to respond to your "...Palin scandal compendium:"  blog regurgitation and then I looked at your avatar.  I concur.  Well, with part of it anyway.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2008, 07:12:42 PM »
Yeah, I watched it, too.

The MSM will work overtime to destroy her and bring in their usual 15% for the Dems, but she sure sounds up to the task of taking on the MSM and the BHO crew.

She talked more energy policy substance in that one speech than BHO and Biden have done all year.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2008, 07:13:04 PM »

It's going to get nasty.

Any "disaster" will be based upon the veracity of any statements made against her: The Enquirer, of all publications, has proven quite adept, recently.

I think she winds up burying the McCain campaign, either by being Swift-boated and/or championing a duly unpalatable, Right-Wing, Republicanism.  (Can McCain win without selling his soul to such types?)

A, pilfered, attempt at a Palin scandal compendium:

1. Lack of experience hypocrisy. McCain spent the entire summer attacking Obama over his lack of experience, and then picked a far less experienced politician for his running mate. McCain's 2008 presidential campaign actually started before Palin took office.

2. A reformer under investigation. Palin is being sold as a reformer, even though she is currently facing an ethics probe (from other Republicans), and recently hired a lawyer to help her with that investigation. She is probably guilty too, considering that she did the exact same thing when she was a mayor. However, it wasn't illegal when she fired people for political purposes as a mayor. While occupying the governor's mansion, I believe it is.

3. Family values: Her 17-year old daughter is pregnant. Not only did Palin thus expose her daughter to endless humiliation in front of the entire world by accepting the slot, but it isn't even clear if Palin told the McCain campaign about the situation before she accepted the slot. Oh, and Palin opposes birth control, even for married couples.

4. Extreme right-winger: Even though she is being sold to moderates, it turns out she is an extremely hard-core wingnut, supporting Pat Buchannan and a whole host of other disturbing things.

5. Deep ties to Alaska pork: Palin claims she opposed "the bridge to nowhere," but she was actually in favor of it for a while. She also loves earmarks and Ted Stevens.

7. Lack of prior relationship with McCain: As it turns out, she only met, and talked with, McCain once before being selected. No wonder Republican lawyers are still vetting her. This is some excellent preparation by the McCain campaign for McCain's first presidential decision.

Palin was obviously picked entirely for political reasons, not because McCain knew her or believed in her at all. Even then, the pick was an extremely poor one. With more hurricanes bearing down on the Gulf Coast, the whole thing smacks of Arabian Horse master Michael Brown and post-Katrina FEMA. Unqualified people are placed in major positions of responsibility just because they are hard right-winger. This is how Republicans govern, and a national reminder of that is really crushing McCain in the polls.

Keep in mind that the first couple days after being selected are usually the best media that VP picks receive. It will actually get worse for Palin from here on out.

Utter BS, all down the line. It's the same sort of trash as the phony NYTimes story about McCain having an affair with a lobbyist, or the CBS forged-document story. 

The amount of trash character assassination from the left and the media (or do I repeat myself?) rises in proportion to the subject's conservatism.   It happens to any conservative who has the audacity to serve in a major public office.  It's been this way for as long as I've been alive, for every major conservative to hit the public scene.  It goes back at least as far as Clarence Thomas.

This crap has been overcome in the past, and Palin can overcome it now.  If the media and the left think they can grind this woman down, they're going to be sorely disappointed.

It will actually get worse for Palin from here on out.

Watched it.

Don't think she's worried.

Lady may be a rookie, but she's a pro.

Exactly.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2008, 07:27:51 PM »
If even the slightest thing gains traction...
Zeke

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2008, 07:36:15 PM »
That Anita Hill tripe gained traction.  Lots of traction.  And where is Clarence Thomas now?

It's been overcome before.  It'll be overcome this time.

And I'll bet you a box of your favorite ammunition that neither Palin nor McCain are afraid of it.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »
Whatever she's got in her past, she doesn't have Wright, Rezko, Ayers, and Davis.  Slowly but surely that is going to get out. 

And as Newt said, "Obama's a talker and a writer." 

People know what really matters.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #216 on: September 03, 2008, 08:15:46 PM »
Whatever she's got in her past, she doesn't have Wright, Rezko, Ayers, and Davis.  Slowly but surely that is going to get out. 

And as Newt said, "Obama's a talker and a writer." 

People know what really matters.

Racist preacher, mob money drop man, terrorist...oh, and he did nose candy, too.

If only the media would report fairly.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #217 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:13 PM »
They buried her for two days -- ducking a plethora of news issues -- and she comes out and performs the litany of Reagan, attack dog, "we are the law," pander-to-the-Right Wing speech with some gravitas. 

Two questions:

How did they "bury her"?  Unless you mean buried under a flood of alleged scandals.

How exactly can she pander to the right wing when, as you cut-and-pasted, she IS the right wing? 

Oh, wait - more questions.

Are campaign speeches supposed to be non-partisan, now?  Huh?

"We are the law"?  What is that supposed to mean? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2008, 08:52:38 PM »
I know McCain has had aspirations of being the president for a while, but Palin first took office in 1992.  I'd say that predates his 2008 campaign by a bit.

2. A reformer under investigation. Palin is being sold as a reformer, even though she is currently facing an ethics probe (from other Republicans), and recently hired a lawyer to help her with that investigation.
So far the only action I've seen on the lawyers part is in regards to determining who has jurisdiction to hear the case.  Other than that Palin has been pretty accommodating.

3. Family values: Her 17-year old daughter is pregnant. Not only did Palin thus expose her daughter to endless humiliation in front of the entire world by accepting the slot, but it isn't even clear if Palin told the McCain campaign about the situation before she accepted the slot.
The McCain camp says that they knew about it.  Can you provide a more authoritative source on this one?  Or perhaps at least a coherent hypothesis as to why their claims are false?

Oh, and Palin opposes birth control, even for married couples.
You're going to have to give a citation of some kind for this one.

Where is she being sold as a moderate?  That's the entire purpose of selecting her as VP:  She's not a friggen moderate like McCain.

5. Deep ties to Alaska pork: Palin claims she opposed "the bridge to nowhere," but she was actually in favor of it for a while.

You've got her there.  She was in favor of the project until it looked like Alaska would have to spend money to complete it.  Alaska could have probably fixed the transport problem with 60k a year, but the feds wanted to dump a $270 million solution into the issue.  I find no practical fault with a governor that'll let the feds fix the problem at an inflated price.  It saves HER constituents money.  There's an ideological problem there, but the governor should put her constituents issues first.

Others, from Alaska, have addressed that the particular 3rd party has relevance in the land of Alaska.  It would be suicide not to speak with them.

Beside that, I see a logical disconnect for harping on her for taking Federal money and then in the very next paragraph harping on her for possibly supporting secession.  If they're a leech on the Federal budget then let them leave.

7. Lack of prior relationship with McCain: As it turns out, she only met, and talked with, McCain once before being selected
McCain obviously didn't do his work there, because there's just NO WAY a team of individuals using modern communication could have ever dug up this "dirt" on Palin before he selected her.  You'd need elite access to Al Gore's Tubes of Internets to find this stuff!

Palin was obviously picked entirely for political reasons
Uhm, duh?  He wasn't looking for a partner in a game of Euchre.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #219 on: September 03, 2008, 09:26:46 PM »

Palin's "lack of experience" is a POSITIVE for the McCain campaign.  By foolishly attacking this perceived flaw, Obama and his media allies have drawn attention to Obama's even more glaring lack of experience or accomplishment, and for a higher office, no less.  This has reduced Obama to claiming he has "executive experience" by virtue of running an election campaign. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #220 on: September 04, 2008, 03:48:04 AM »

I support Pat too. I'm also an extreme right-winger. So go Palin, go.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #221 on: September 04, 2008, 10:59:34 AM »
More Executive (Mayor and Governor) experience then Obama and Biden combined.   I don't want an "experienced politician", I want someone who has demonstrated the ability to make the tough calls and get things done. Palin has done that (called out fellow Repubs on ethics violations, fired corrupt public officals).  Obama voted "present".

2. A reformer under investigation. Palin is being sold as a reformer, even though she is currently facing an ethics probe (from other Republicans), and recently hired a lawyer to help her with that investigation.
See http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=14527.0 for details about "Trooper-gate"  As I stated in another thread if Trooper Wooten was in Illinois, he'd be named Drew Peterson and Nancy Grace would be on him like the rabid pit-bull she is.  Also if this was in Obama's Chicago, Wooten would have been slide into a a do-nothing job in city hall and  Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan would have been promoted to bigger and better things.  (Do a google search for John Kass and Pool Boy to see an example of the "Chicago Way" or see http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-kass-08-aug08,0,7211347.column)

3. Family values: Her 17-year old daughter is pregnant. Not only did Palin thus expose her daughter to endless humiliation in front of the entire world by accepting the slot, but it isn't even clear if Palin told the McCain campaign about the situation before she accepted the slot.
Last I checked the 17 yo daughter is not running for anything.

Oh, and Palin opposes birth control, even for married couples.
And that affects me how ??

If she's a moderate, then I'm Bill Clinton.

5. Deep ties to Alaska pork: Palin claims she opposed "the bridge to nowhere," but she was actually in favor of it for a while.
Show me any polictian that is opposed to getting Free Money from someone else.   In fact most pols brag about "Bringing home the Bacon".  The fact that once it became a financial liability to Alaska, she opposed it. 

OOOOoooooooOOOOHHHHhhhhhhHHHH, scary militia-right-wing-seceesionist-gun-nut-TEOTWAKI party.  Or not, once you read and learn more about that party.  Plus she was not a member, but spoke before them.   I guess since Obama spoke to the American Legion and VFW conventions, that makes him a veteran.   rolleyes rolleyes

7. Lack of prior relationship with McCain: As it turns out, she only met, and talked with, McCain once before being selected
Yep, he should have nominated Cindy McCain, if there's anybody who he knows best, it would be his wife.

Palin was obviously picked entirely for political reasons
Yeah, the fact that she is the best choice available, matters not.
[/quote]

Zeke, Your grasp of politics is only exceed by the depth of your knowlegde of the military.  rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.