Author Topic: Liberals vs. Conservatives  (Read 2718 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Liberals vs. Conservatives
« on: September 18, 2008, 03:59:11 AM »
I saw one of the best discussions and descriptions of the REAL differences between Liberals and Conservatives at the Ted Talks website:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind.html

Its probably one of the best explanations of something I've always inherently known, but was never able to verbalize...

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Liberals vs. Conservatives
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:56:45 AM »
A interesting and thought-provoking lecture.
I thought the guy made a number of  excellent points.  He did almost lose me at one point when he brought up Bush and "if you're not with us, you're against us."  The statement itself may be crude political rhetoric, but one central duty the government does have is the duty to protect us from those who would harm us.  Now, Al Qaida may think they're right.  Well, the Japanese and Nazis also thought that in World War Two.  In some ways this "yin yang" concept doesn't really translate too well into international politics.
But it is grist for the grill of the political differences between liberals and conservatives. 
While I have my own reaction to how he describes conservatism, his version is one that has held sway for a long time.
And I no longer believe that today's "liberals" are interested in those at the bottom, and allowing them to "break free of oppression," but then again, that idea is one that has historically proven true.
It does sem however, it's likely necessary to have some oppossing forces in society, lest one get too powerful and carry us all off to some wild extreme of chaos or fascism .....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »
I was thinking about posting this yesterday...it's very interesting stuff.  Though I'm still not sure exactly how much I agree with, it is a compelling talk.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:07:14 AM »
The statement itself may be crude political rhetoric

People who think that oughta recall that the origin of the quote is in the New Testament.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50:09 AM »
The statement itself may be crude political rhetoric

People who think that oughta recall that the origin of the quote is in the New Testament.

Where's that at?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:57:03 PM »
Matthew 12:30 (English Standard Version)
Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Spoken by Christ.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 06:26:29 PM »
The real Christ or the Democrat's Chosen One?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 01:59:22 AM »
The real one. 

But it would be interesting to see how Obama would say it. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

agricola

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:04:44 AM »
The real one. 

But it would be interesting to see how Obama would say it. 

Something about getting in your neighbours faces and arguing with them until they do what you want have been told by some guy reading a teleprompted to do, I would guess.

Meanwhile, I take it you all in Waffleland have seen this example of daily ownage?  Its all good as a buildup, but from 4:00 onwards is the red meat:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2008/09/19/bitter-campbell-brown-brought-heel-lynn-forester-de-rothschild
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"