Author Topic: Who had the power the most?  (Read 7987 times)

• friend
Who had the power the most?
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:40:18 AM »
This is just something I've been kicking around in my head.  I don't have it fleshed out all of the way yet, but though I could bounce it off ya'all.  I'm working on the premise that Congress actually has more impact on us then does the President.  Oh yeah, by the way, it's slanted to be somewhat partisan.

Since the year I blessed the world with my birth  laugh , Americas politics have shaped up thusly (no real reason to start with 1952, but it shows 56 years of power):

There have been 30 Congresses (starting with the 82nd United States Congress up to the current one which is the 111th United States Congress). 

• A Republican was President for 19 of them.
    For the entire period, there were 7399 Democrats in the House vs. 5638 Republicans.
    Democrats held the majority in the House 24 times- Republicans only 6.
    For the entire period, there were 1600 Democrats in the Senate vs. 1371 Republicans.
    Democrats held the majority in the Senate 19 times- Republicans only 11.

As much as we like to point the finger at a President- Congress is the place laws are passed.  Granted the President can suggest a bill, but it has to go through Congress.

Laws often have a long-term impact on us.  Sometimes we don't suffer from the results for decades.

Congress raises taxes- its one of their jobs- a President doesnt have the authority.  Again the President can ask, but Congress is where its passed.

Congress can also veto the President and basically override him if he signs something they dont like or if he refuses to sign something they like.

Its easier for a President when their party has the majority in Congress.  Eisenhower enjoyed that for one Congress (83rd).  Bush had the edge twice (the 107th and the 109th). 

Truman had it for the 82nd.  Kennedy, Johnson and Carter had that edge all through their time.  Clinton had it during the 103rd Congress.

So, looking back it would appear that the Democrats held the power most of the time.  Whos to blame for the health of America?

The Annoyed Man

Re: Who had the power the most?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 02:31:46 AM »
A sleeping citizenry.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:44:16 AM »
Chuck Norris
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

erictank

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:53:52 AM »
Who’s to blame for the health of America?

Chuck Norris

Been nice knowin' ya, Fistful...  grin

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 03:12:19 AM »
Everyone is quick to blame the President when it's Congress and Senate that I blame. 

With all the partisan crap going on in Washington these days, I'm not suprised that they are blaming the Prez for everything. 

Seems the last 2 years the Dem's had control of both houses and haven't done a whole lot of anything. 

agricola

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 04:18:56 AM »
Everyone is quick to blame the President when it's Congress and Senate that I blame. 

With all the partisan crap going on in Washington these days, I'm not suprised that they are blaming the Prez for everything. 

Seems the last 2 years the Dem's had control of both houses and haven't done a whole lot of anything. 

Thats a complete lie - they have been actively getting lots of Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac cash during that time:

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/17/mccains-attempt-to-fix-fannie-mae-freddie-mac-in-2005/
http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/09/update-fannie-mae-and-freddie.html

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 07:39:24 AM »
Touche Smiley

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 07:41:30 AM »
Any true change in our government won't come until we the people start culling out the career politicians and elect better representatives....

...I'm still amazed at how a relatively conservative area like Central Texas keeps sending uber-lockstep-Democrat Chet Edwards back to Washington....  angry
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »
Whos to blame for the health of America?

Chuck Norris

Been nice knowin' ya, Fistful...  grin

I think Chuck Norris is smart enough to know which question I was answering.  After all, he IS Chuck Norris.  Error, mistakes and ignorance are afraid of him, so he always sees the truth.  And pwns it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife