Author Topic: Pending lawsuit regarding THR (Updated November 1, 2009)  (Read 150333 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: *** Pending lawsuit regarding THR - message reposted via Oleg's blog.***
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2008, 06:46:38 AM »
for posterity's sake:
Quote from: TheBluesMan
Mutiny on The High Road
Derek Zeanah has succeeded, temporarily, in stealing this website from its rightful owner, Oleg Volk. A lawsuit will be filed within days. Details here: http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/474369.html

He has also removed from staff the loudest voices of dissent including Oleg and myself. Through an oversight on his part, I still have access to the forum announcements.

It is unlikely that any members will ever read this, but it is possible that a staff member may see it while the board is shut down. If you were unconvinced of Derek's treachery before, perhaps this will convince you of his true colors.

Derek Zeanah is a thief. I played Nathan to his David in private and this is how he responds. What is left of his reputation online is about to be demolished by this desperate act.

Add your comments to this situation here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=761667
or here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...=928088&page=2
or here: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/in...?topic=14960.0
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2008, 06:47:37 AM »
N beat me to it...  sad  grin

Glad the site is back online, but not about the "drama" that is occuring.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2008, 06:52:15 AM »
Can someone cut n' paste DZ's "explanation" for those of us who can't get on THR at the moment?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2008, 06:52:28 AM »
Quote from: Derek Zenah
Drama Warning
I'm sorry I had to leave such a vague message while the board was down these last 12 hours. Some legal threats were made, and I thought it prudent to get legal advice before reacting.

For nearly six years THR has operated as a voluntary community. Oleg has been the face of the board. I assembled and provided the engine. While user contributions were appreciated, I hosted the board almost completely at my own expense and preformed the technical work necessary to keep the system available 24 by 7 and ahead of our ever-growing user demand. The moderators kept things on an even keel, and over 75,000 others have contributed to make the board what it now is. I'm very proud of what we've become, and Im committed most of all that the Board remain a place we are all proud of and where we all feel at home.

To my deep regret, during these last few weeks an issue that Oleg and I should have worked out privately has become an increasingly public dispute. I deeply regret this development and apologize for having been unable to work through our differences in a less harmful manner. This is an internal dispute, and should not have gotten out in the open forum to be the distraction it has become.

During this time, I have continued to operate THR on exactly the same basis you have come to expect. My assertion this entire time is that the status quo should be maintained unless THR staff decide otherwise, and that we should use a rational process to evaluate potential changes. Having said that, THR has grown substantially these last few years, and our continued growth makes some kind of change inevitable in order to pay for the increasing resource commitments our growth requires.

As far back as I can remember Oleg and have had the understanding that we were joint owners. A few weeks ago, Oleg changed his mind. I have not. We need to resolve this equitably and between ourselves, but in my view neither of us should be willing to proceed in a manner that politicizes the issue and damages this community.

Last night, someone began to use the THR to solicit members to contribute to a legal fight. I took the board down after another moderator dealt with the posts and alerted me to them. This is a perhaps a harsh measure, but I will act as I am able to preserve this community. The Board may not be used to sabotage the Board, and I will insist on that. There are thousands of users out there who just want to use THR as they always have so they can pursue their interests in peace. We have already had many moderators resign due to the tenor of discussions surrounding this issue, and it is my intention that we prevent similar damage to the forum at large.

During whatever happens, I will make every effort to maintain THR in the manner you have all come to expect. I hope cooler heads can prevail to keep THR something we are all happy with and remain proud of.

-- Derek

WELLBUILTNETWORKS: Hosting THR since 2002

I've mostly hung out here lately, anyway.
Granted, I probably disagree with half of what you folks believe, non-RKBA related, but at least you here are more educated.  I can hang with educated folks I disagree with any day of the week.  grin
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2008, 06:52:42 AM »
I wonder if Oleg can contact Google Adwords, Yahoo Ads and others pre-emptively to inform them of the dispute, to spike Derek's plans to make a living off banner ads? They will NOT grant ads to a site under legal proceedings. Advertisers won't touch any disputed or controversial sites, they want no association.

That's what Oleg said his plans are for the site, so...

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2008, 06:59:03 AM »
FYI, Oleg's THR logon has had every post removed and his "Join date" reset to June 1, 2006.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2008, 06:59:54 AM »
Who didn't see that coming...

TheBluesMan

• friend
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2008, 07:03:49 AM »
Quote from: jfruser
FYI, Oleg's THR logon has had every post removed and his "Join date" reset to June 1, 2006.

That is not true. http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=1

BTW, I have now been banned from THR.

Either John Shirley or Derek Zeanah fear what I have to say apparently. Cowards, both of them.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2008, 07:04:19 AM »
Should see if Derek will just sell the domain name for a flat price.  Be easier for him than going to court if all he wants to do is line his pockets.

Oleg offered to buy it back for $75,000. Derek refused, apparently.
That would seem to support (at least in some small way) the contention of joint ownership.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2008, 07:04:56 AM »

Either John Shirley or Derek Zeanah fear what I have to say apparently. Cowards, both of them.
Doesn't DZ have admin access to this board as well?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

fletcher

« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2008, 07:10:39 AM »
Well, this is wonderful...

After this is resolved, if any financial support is required to keep THR running speedy and ad-free, just let us know; I'm sure a good portion of the community would pitch in.

That being said, anyone that could be so greedy as to toss aside the successful efforts of others and himself for some petty personal gain is not a good person.  This kind of behavior is infuriating. Derek had plenty of opportunity in his announcements on THR to give his side of the story if he wasn't in the wrong, but his "drama warning" was no more than a generic "nothing to see here, move along".

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2008, 07:12:13 AM »

Hmm, two Oleg Volks:
http://thehighroad.org/member.php?u=30795 (no posts)
http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=1 (lotsa posts)

Member List:
http://thehighroad.org/memberlist.php

Maybe the "shadow" Volk has existed for years and I never noticed.  I thought the join date mighty convenient.

My official line is: Heckifiknow
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2008, 07:26:35 AM »
The extra "volk" has a trailing space in the name. Was a troll whom we banned but apparently failed to remove the user name.

VARifleman

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2008, 07:33:35 AM »
I noticed that Henry Bowman is no longer listed as a moderator there.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2008, 07:35:47 AM »
I just want to say y'all picked a fine time to stir up some drama around this place.

I mean with getting ready to lose access to the internet for up to three weeks, oh noes.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2008, 07:37:54 AM »
I just want to say y'all picked a fine time to stir up some drama around this place.

I mean with getting ready to lose access to the internet for up to three weeks, oh noes.

You can always pick up some questionable device (hey, why is the case cracked open?) that uses the Orascom network at a bazaar there or something? Or did you mean en route?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »

You can always pick up some questionable device (hey, why is the case cracked open?) that uses the Orascom network at a bazaar there or something? Or did you mean en route?

Well in a few days we move down to Kuwait and will be there for about a week.  There will be a MWR I can use but it will cost me $5 an hour or so.

Then I will be at Ft Bliss for about a week and access there will be very shady.  Even if I have time.  I have already sent my puter home also.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Kestryll

• Calguns.net
Re: Pending lawsuit regarding THR - message reposted via Oleg's blog.
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2008, 08:13:16 AM »
If APS goes down or is otherwise screwed with, I propose we all meet at thefiringline.com, to figure out what to do next.  Without APS, we have no way of keeping in touch.

I'll make the same offer here as I made on TFL before the thread got pulled.

If this site goes down I can set up a THR/APS forum on Calguns.net in a matter of minutes as a rallying point until Oleg can get another site up.

This is flat out theft, there's no other word for it.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2008, 08:29:38 AM »
Kestryll, welcome to APS Smiley

Doc2005

« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2008, 08:47:41 AM »
Man oh man!  This is dizzying.  So, here is what confuses me: I don't understand that some of the moderators are gone...I assume resigned?!  If so, who?  Too, I saw that some folks are "...no longer a member..."  That seems unprecedented.  As I understood THR membership, the way to become a non-member was to simply not log-in.  I've never seen posted anywhere that someone was nolonger a member.

Seriously confused,

Doc2005
"A Shootist?s Prayer"

Guns are good;
Guns are great;
Please Lord help those us hate.
Give us this day our daily lead,
and hunting land we?ll call a spread.
If I should die here on this day,
I pray for guns in Heaven with which to play.

Amen,

Doc2005
02-Nov-2006

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »
Derek Zeanah and John Shirley have been eliminating their opponents' accounts directly.

fspitzdorf

« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2008, 09:06:40 AM »
When THR was originally setup who purchased the Vbulletin software (in whose name was it registered at purchase).... The software's ownership cannot be transferred without the original purchasers consent. 

FieroCDSP

« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2008, 09:10:41 AM »
I can understand if Derek wants Oleg to take over the domain payments or to open up for donations. What I cant understand, and what I take issue with, is a system admin essentially blocking the creator (or partner by Derek's view) from any and all access to his/their creation, be it the domain name or database.
  From the info so far provided, there was no documented sale of the name between agreeing parties, nor official transfer of the rights, so such restrictions or the transfer of the domain name, especially if done on the sly as alleged, is reprehensible at least and illegal at the worst.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2008, 09:14:51 AM »
I just peeked there. Bet this one won't last:

kentucky_smith

Boycott
Boycott
Until Oleg gets control back.

http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/474369.html

http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/474369.html

And his replies are kinda...insipid.

Derek Zeanah
System Administrator

Quote:
If you do a search on some other boards, particularly those favorable to black semiautomatic rifles that are similar to the ones the US Army uses, you'll find info.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't necessarily make it so...

WELLBUILTNETWORKS: Hosting THR since 2002    

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2008, 09:15:32 AM »
I would guess that from Derek's POV, speaking broadly, it's some variant of the "I've been mowing that 1 acre strip of my neighbors property for 20 years and my fence has been over there... legal-argument applied to THR.

But discussing the finer points of legal strategy is probably not wise on this board, considering the hosting...
I promise not to duck.