Author Topic: Getting a professional business photo?  (Read 5536 times)

.Cheese.

• friend
Getting a professional business photo?
« on: October 11, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »
I would like to get a professional looking business photo.

Basically just me wearing a suit.  The catch is that, I'm a heavy guy and I'd like for the photo to look slightly slimming and as best as possible.

Any ideas?

I live in Broward County, Florida.  Any ideas for photo studios would be great.  I don't know who is quality these days or what to look for in a photographer/studio.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Getting a professional business photo?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
For this very basic portrait need, I think you could do worse than to go to the portrait studio at your local Sears, JC Penney or Wal-Mart.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 11:56:17 PM »
Sorry, Millcreek, but I have to differ. I've seen horrible photographs from discount stores. Usually the photographers have no training, and the lighting setups are a formula the "photographers" are given in their manual.

.Cheese, why not check your Yellow Pages for portrait studios? Before selecting a photographer, ask to see examples of his/her work.

A good professional will know how to pose you to show you at your best. Try to avoid a photographer who's trying to sell you all sorts of extras (linen-textured prints, etc). It sounds like you need a good, basic portrait.

crawdaddyjim

• Alien
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 12:13:10 AM »
The photo should be taken with you standing at an angle of approximately 45 degrees to the camera. Dark suit with blue or red striped tie. Light colored hair gets a red one dark gets a blue one. Photo should be of the top half only preferably no lower than the elbows. Just before the picture suck in your gut and make sure you stand up straight shoulders back NO SLOUCHING.  If you have a couple of chins make sure there is no bright side lighting and if you can have a reflector in your hands out of frame to direct some light up under your chin but not enough to cause dark shadows under your eyes. Make sure your chin is up but not like Obama does it.  Take one of you smiling and one with a relaxed but not smiling face.

If you can get to Central florida I would make your portrait for you as a gift. Oh and by the by. Neutral background only. No crazy crap. Best one would be a transition type from dark blue at the top to light blue at the bottom but gray looks good as well.

Jim

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:33:35 AM »
IMHO, go talk to your company's public relations folks. Ask them who the Frustrated Photographer is...

Do an "on the job" photo... Plant floor, whatever...

Blog under construction

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 11:25:49 AM »
If you are near Nashville, I'll happily do the photo for you.

You'd want the camera slightly above you and 15-20* to your side, with fairly directional light 30-40* to the same side as the camera. No fill but use a rim or background light to separate from the backdrop.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 09:08:20 PM »
Guess I made a mistake getting a professional photo done at CVS.  I sensed it didn't work out real good.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon