Author Topic: Only got 38.5 mpg  (Read 9057 times)

Paddy

Only got 38.5 mpg
« on: March 10, 2005, 04:58:49 PM »
on my second fillup.  That's down from 39.4 on the first fillup.  Have to quit being so leadfooted.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 05:09:16 PM »
What are you driving, Riley?

My wife's Hyundai Accent 1.6L did 38 mpg on the Interstate when I drove it, 42mpg on the Interstate when she drove it.  With gas heading up towards $2.15/gallon in the next few weeks, I'll bet some folks will be crying in their SUV's gas station receipts.   Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Paddy

Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 05:18:56 PM »
I paid $2.35 /gallon today, and it's going higher.  Work just moved my office 50 miles from home.  That's 500 miles a week.

Bought one of these last week:
http://www.toyota.com/echo/index.html

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 05:39:42 PM »
Gas is $2.09/gallon here in ND.  Makes me really glad for my Toyota Camry.  Even though it's 17 years old and only gets 25-30 mpg.

DigMe

Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 06:56:39 PM »
I drive a Nissan Xterra...17mpg.  I sure was NOT crying when it was getting me through the mud last week on our camping trip and every time it gets all my bass stuff to a gig or when it allows my wife and I to pack a weeks worth of road trip gear and still have room for our dog to lay down on her bed.  Yeah...gas prices suck but I'm willing to put up with 17mpg for the benefits I get from this car.  Right now I'm lusting after the new 2005 model.  

brad cook

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 05:49:01 PM »
DigMe, have you seen this: xterraownersclub.com?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

jrob24

Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 06:21:51 PM »
I didn't realize the Echo had such good milage and was so affordable. My honda civic gets what the sticker said it would get. ~30 city/ 38 highway

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 06:27:42 PM »
Well, hush my mouth!

I drive a Nissan Xterra...17mpg.  I sure was NOT crying when it was getting me through the mud last week on our camping trip
Well, then, if you're not worried about fuel economy and have that much disposable income to convert money into greenhouse gases, why aren't you out there blazing trails with a Hummer or H2?

The money I save on gasoline goes to more reloading components or even another gun every now and then.  Wink

mtnbkr

• friend
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 08:13:24 PM »
Only got 38.5 mpg
If on the interstate, ho hum... Wink

My 10yo Toyota Paseo was getting 40+ when I sold it at 196k miles.  That said, it only got 30 around town.  You might have me beat there. Cheesy

Best car I ever owned...

Chris

Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 11:07:40 PM »
I used to get 50MPG with mixed freeway and city driving in my high-school era Geo Metro. I drive a Buick now, and it is worth every penny.

Paddy

Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 03:47:11 AM »
Glad to hear all the positive feedback on Toyotas - still running strong after years and many miles.  Hondas have a great rep, too.  A friend just replaced one after 17 years and 300k miles. I'm coming off an 18 year Ford binge (1 Tempo and 2 Countours) so this is my first Japanese car since 1985, and that was a Chevrolet Sprint (Isuzu?).  Remember those?  Three cylinders and around 50mpg.  I still own a Ranger 4x4, but it only gets maybe 19mpg if you're really careful.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 04:03:32 AM »
It would be nice to see mileage like that.

I average about 22 mpg in mixed driving with my Outback this time of year.

I can get upwards 29 mpg on the highway if I use cruise control.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Declaration Day

• friends
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 05:33:40 AM »
I have a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD.  It gets 8-13 mpg, depending on driving conditions and how much weight I am carrying.

Its fuel tank holds 34 gallons, and with the amount of driving I do, in combination with the current gas prices,  I can easily save $30 per week by keeping the fuel tank level at 1/2 or less.

DigMe

Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 05:50:38 AM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
Well, hush my mouth!

I drive a Nissan Xterra...17mpg.  I sure was NOT crying when it was getting me through the mud last week on our camping trip
Well, then, if you're not worried about fuel economy and have that much disposable income to convert money into greenhouse gases, why aren't you out there blazing trails with a Hummer or H2?
That doesn't even make sense on more than one level.  

I guess I should ask "Why aren't driving one of those solar cars you see on TV?"  That makes about as much sense as your hummer comment.  I wasn't knocking your gas mileage.  I'm just stating my own experience and why I don't have a car like an Echo.  It doesn't fit my needs nor does a hummer fit my needs.  Do you find that offensive or something?

brad cook

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 06:22:21 AM »
Oh, Riley, I'm so jealous.

My 1992 Toyota Tercel was totalled last month, and the paltry insurance payout didn't begin to let me consider a new car.  If it had, I would have bought another Toyota for sure.  I still cry if I think about it too much.  I'm driving my aunt's '96 Buick Regal, and I'm awfully grateful, but my Toyota was my trusty steed.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2005, 09:11:05 AM »
Hey, no problem! It's your bar of soap and washcloth, you can scrub as hard and fast as you'd like, I ain't stopping anybody or playing the ecoterrorist.  My stepson has a 1997 4x4 Suburban, and we're always loaning him money to fill up both tanks on that beast.  I try to get him to trade it in on something more economical, his KFC McJob and $100/fillup just aren't compatible.  He says he "needs" to have the big beast for comfort and style, for hauling his friends around, and he hates being cramped in a Hyundai or Toyota.  Kids these days.  

I guess I should ask "Why aren't driving one of those solar cars you see on TV?"
Funny you should ask! I'm actually working on a zero-emissions vehicle, a trike w/welded aluminum tube frame, fiberglass body, etc.  I've been experimenting with a surplus 24volt DC motor, pulse-width modulated rpm, etc.  Think "chopped" DC.  My commute is only 3 miles each day.  

A good portion of the house I'm living in right now, including my evil lab in the back corner, is powered by a 2KVA inverter, a big bank of Dynasty Absorbent Glass Mat batteries, solar charge controller, and a 24 volt photovoltaic array set up on flagpole mounts in the back yard.  During the aftermath of the hurricanes last fall, we ran the generator maybe 1-2 hours each night.  The power grid in our neighborhood didn't come back online for between 5-10 days after both Hurricanes Jeanne and Frances. We did pretty well with our off-grid setup. I'll give you a hint, those twisted tube flourescent bulbs that replace incandescent versions are great!  

When I retire from active duty in the next 10 months, I'm eyeballing this property very seriously.  It's totally off-grid:

(see listing #5 of 7 below)

http://www.guffeylandcompany.com/homelistingsindex.htm

I'm also watching the tax incentives on hybrids like the Toyota Prius with some interest.  Right now, it's a $2000 deduction. We'll see what happens as the price of crude increases.  Cheesy

Stetson

• friends
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2005, 10:04:03 AM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
When I retire from active duty in the next 10 months, I'm eyeballing this property very seriously.  It's totally off-grid:

http://www.wagonmaker.com/images/house2.JPG

(see listing #5 of 7 below)

http://www.guffeylandcompany.com/homelistingsindex.htm

I'm also watching the tax incentives on hybrids like the Toyota Prius with some interest.  Right now, it's a $2000 deduction. We'll see what happens as the price of crude increases.  Cheesy
I grew up not far from there, you couldn't pay me enough to live there.  I like winter, just not that much......I like summer too, just not that much.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2005, 12:22:08 PM »
"He says he "needs" to have the big beast for comfort and style, for hauling his friends around, and he hates being cramped in a Hyundai or Toyota.  Kids these days. "

You're joking, right?

If he "needs" that kind of monster to support his lifestyle, then he "needs" to either pay for his own gas, or get gas money from his friends to pay for him supporting THEIR lifestyle.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005, 05:58:46 PM »
32-33 City, 34-36 Highway in an 03 Cavalier.  Filled up for $1.999, courteosy of the local Native American gas stations.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Phyphor

• friend
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005, 07:26:03 PM »
Folks, a little suggestion, if I may.,....

Those of you who are inclined to be 'do it yourselfers' may want to go ahead and change the spark plugs and wires in your car, if they haven't been changed in a year or more...
On older cars, (those with distributors) you can change the cap and rotor too, (as those wear out, ) but newer cars use a DIS pack (Digitital Ignition system? ) so you usually can only change wires and plugs.

Assuming your plugs are gapped correctly, your gas mileage should improve a bit....oh, and driving over 60 MPH does suck down the gas too, so watch yer speed. Tongue
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

mfree

• friend
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 05:02:52 AM »
The daewoo, before it was unmercifully killed by my erring hand, got 25mpg in the city, and between 28 and 32mpg on the highway depending on my speed, with a best of 36mpg running a slow cruise over ~150 miles (Chatsworth to Maryville up 411N, 50mph average). The 'woo was a high-strung beast though, and frankly getting 27mpg at 85mph with the tachometer sitting on ~4700rpm the entire way is rather impressive Smiley

I miss that car.

What I'm driving now is a 1991 dodge shadow 2.2tbi 5 speed that I've been slowly prepping to use as a racing vehicle... as such certain liberties were made with the engine's upkeep as things broke, as in the EGR system is disabled, etc. I don't have much of a choice though. If I tinkered a bit and cleaned up the oxygen sensor so it wouldn't be clogged with oil drippings, (btw, O2 sensors need to be clean on the *outside* too, that's how they get reference air into them, through the wire port) I'd likely be getting much, much better than the 18-20mpg on the highway I'm getting now.

Frankly sometimes I'm surprised that beast even starts in the morning... but for the last month, save for the belt and flooding it once, it's been flawless. Just really, really loud and uncomfortable...

best mileage I've ever personally seen was with my ex'es 1994 dodge shadow 2.2 with the 3 speed auto. I don't know the route, but she pokeyed her way along backroads to Nashville and back and got a staggering 48mpg. Car was geared like a *dog* though, I bet she was just off idle in top gear the entire way, and that motor is engineered to be most efficient at 1800rpm or so.

mephisto

Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 05:21:59 AM »
my neon gets 26, combo driving, not what they said it would get.

Jason

Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 09:58:30 AM »
So far my new Hyundai Elantra (new to me, 2003 18,000 miles) is getting 32mpg mixed driving.  Its a five-speed, and I'm heavy footed.
I just got rid of a payment-free '95 ford Aspire, 41mpg all the time, but it was a rattle trap, had been wrecked, barely had enough extra juice to power the headlights.  The Elantra is a nice little car.
Wife's Suzuki XL-7 gets 21mpg highway or when she drives....18ish when I drive.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 10:48:40 AM »
Quote from: Phyphor
Folks, a little suggestion, if I may.,....

...oh, and driving over 60 MPH does suck down the gas too, so watch yer speed. Tongue
rolleyes

I don't think so

cool
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

CatsDieNow

• friend
Only got 38.5 mpg
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 11:04:43 AM »
I paid $1.99 yesterday.  I'd be disappointed if my Ninja 500 got less than 48MPG.  cool

You poor cage drivers... Tongue