Author Topic: Anyone else like rap?  (Read 41863 times)

HForrest

Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2005, 06:04:22 PM »
I was listening to a friend's copy of that new Gorillaz album, and I thought it was pretty good. A few other rap songs are allright, too. Generally, though, I avoid rap and most modern music.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »
Yep. That's what I said. I said all music with the word "*let's not go there*" in it is Shakespeare.

If you'd like, look into Atmosphere's stuff that involves the singer's ex "Lucy," especially the "Lucy Ford" album. It truly is a tale of loss and heartbreak, told through poetry and rhyme.

"Do I sound mad? Well I guess I'm a little pissed
Every action has a point, five points make a fist
You close em', you swing em', it's hurts when it hits
And the truth can be a bitch, but if the boot fits
I got an idea: You should get a tattoo that says warning
That's all, just a warning, so the potential victim can take a left
And save breath, and avoid you, sober and upset in the morning
I wanna scream, "*expletive deleted*ck you Lucy!"
But the problem is I love you Lucy
So instead I'm a finish my drink and have another
While you think about how you used to be my lover"

PS: Going into a thread for enthusiasts of a certain type of music and attacking it is just as vitriolic as some gangster rap. And just about as pointless, stupid, and above all, annoying. The title of the thread is not "Let's debate the merits of rap."

How about bringing something to the table aside from a closed mind?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

caseydog

• friend
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2005, 06:11:08 PM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
David Allan Coe, a relatively mainstream country act. Oh and you asked for it, so you're responsible:
David Allan Coe is a halfast novelty act whos greatest claim to fame was "The Rodeo Song" , another novelty curse fest , he's never even smelled the mainstream.
Quote from: 280plus
The only  thing I listen to are the old 70's rock stations that overplay the same worn out crap we listened to 30 years ago and forever since and live stuff done locally by different guitar people that are around.
I was a 70's classics guy for a long time , then I got tired of the way the radio stations wore out the CD the same way they wore out the LP in the 70's , only play the big hits. The eagles had 25 or so good songs , they played the same 3 every day , same with Led Zep and many other good 70's bands, so a few years ago I went looking for something different. I tried some grunge and some rap and couldn't really get in to either mostly crap as stated , so I kept hunting around the dial and internet radio and heard a station playing stuff like Creed , Lifehouse, Train, Fuel ....

Turns out there is good music being made these days for a 40something 70's throwback , also turns out it's not rap.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

...has left the building.

Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »
PS: Going into a thread for enthusiasts of a certain type of music and attacking it is just as vitriolic as some gangster rap. And just about as pointless, stupid, and above all, annoying. The title of the thread is not "Let's debate the merits of rap."

How about bringing something to the table aside from a closed mind?
THANK YOU WINSTON!

Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2005, 06:22:19 PM »
Quote from: caseydog
David Allan Coe is a halfast novelty act whos greatest claim to fame was "The Rodeo Song" , another novelty curse fest , he's never even smelled the mainstream.
Regardless of if you feel Coe is mainstream or not, he only asked for a country tune. Coe is country.

Justin

• friend
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2005, 09:17:57 PM »
Daniel Flory:  "The Rabbi, I'd like you to meet my friend; PWNAGE.  PWNAGE, The Rabbi."
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2005, 03:05:54 AM »
MANOWAR! Awesome! Smiley

Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2005, 03:07:02 AM »
Quote from: Justin
Daniel Flory:  "The Rabbi, I'd like you to meet my friend; PWNAGE.  PWNAGE, The Rabbi."
Wink He probably won't know what PWNAGE is, instead he'll probably just tell me I'm a jackass as always...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2005, 03:41:07 AM »
I don't know after reading through it, I kinda LIKE that Public Enemy rap thing posted earlier. I know exactly what he's getting at.
"They stole the Rock and Roll and didn't give it back."

The record companies.

"If you don't own the Master, the Master owns you."

The master recordings. Not the Master you may be thinking of.

And he's absolutely right!

Open your minds a little. That IS good stuff. It's all in the interpretaion. Some people see what they want to see instead of what else might be there.

As for the Coe song. I'd play Rodeo in a bar if the owner was ok with it, but I'd never play the one posted here.

Why, I think I'll "sing" it now...

WEEEEELLLLLLL, it's forty below and I don't give a ...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Preacherman

Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2005, 03:46:40 AM »
I've been away for a week or so, and have just spotted this thread.  At the risk of offending rap fans, I have to point out something.

Rap is basically an expression of the poverty-stricken, gang-ridden, criminally-oriented inner-city ghetto culture.  I've actually studied it in some depth, simply because it's the universal "anthem" or "theme" of almost all the criminals I encounter in my line of work as a prison chaplain.  They find it deeply meaningful as an expression of how they grew up, the circumstances of their lives "outside", and an expression of their desperation "inside".  This does not strike me as being a particularly good recommendation for its musical merits...

I find rap almost impossible to listen to as I would listen to "music".  To me, music is something to which I pay attention, trying to understand what the composer/songwriter is trying to convey, identifying the themes (both main and underlying), feeling the mood evoked by the music, etc.  It should be obvious (given this approach) that I enjoy classical music.  I also enjoy a number of modern rock "composers":  Jethro Tull, the Moody Blues, Mike Oldfield - even some Led Zeppelin and some Metallica, who certainly repay careful listening to identify what they're trying to convey.  However, all of these individuals and groups are trying to do something musical.  Non-musical "rhythmic noise" doesn't interest me, and I can find no worthwhile reason for its existence.

Rap doesn't even begin to approach this level of listening.  The tawdry lyrics, distorted voices, thumping beat, and all-around lack of musical quality make it completely unacceptable to me to even call it "music".  It's not music at all, in the classical definition of this term.  It has no theme, no structure, no development, that would qualify it for this designation.

I'm sorry if this offends those who listen to rap, but you're free to enjoy it, just as I'm free to loathe it.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2005, 04:38:21 AM »
"The eagles had 25 or so good songs , they played the same 3 every day , same with Led Zep and many other good 70's bands"

You could set you WATCH by what songs they play on some of these stations.

I see Preacherman's point, I can appreciate his altermate take on the subject. Too many people think that what the music people talk about is they way they should run their lives. Unfortunately I have to disagree with him on his definition of music though. Even if all your doing is banging on a big hollow log with another smaller log or a rock, rythmically or not, you're makin' music baby!!

LOL...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Justin

• friend
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2005, 06:54:33 AM »
He probably won't know what PWNAGE is, instead he'll probably just tell me I'm a jackass as always...
Truly a classic example of projection, to be sure. Tongue
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2005, 07:25:27 AM »
The eagles had 25 or so good songs , they played the same 3 every day , same with Led Zep and many other good 70's bands"
Zep had a lot more than 25 good songs.  You're right, though, the radio doesn't play enough of them, especially after the fifth album.  The Rover, Ten Years Gone, Sick Again, and Achilles Last Stand are severely underplayed.  And when's the last time you heard For Your Life on the radio ?  I never have, except for the weekend long "Zep 'A' to 'Z'" type things.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2005, 07:27:27 AM »
If you not a rap fan, please don't even bother to post.
uh-oh.

Well, I'm not a rap fan, but it was no bother, really !  Smiley

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2005, 07:45:04 AM »
Can somebody tell me what PWNAGE means?

Justin

• friend
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2005, 09:00:45 AM »

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2005, 08:06:04 PM »
I am into underground myself.

I used to listen to mainly -
Paul Wall
Chamillionaire
Esg - Slim Thug..
Mike Jones&
(Houston Area rappers)

But they are all becoming big.. so I am having to find new people.  Something gets lost once people become big...

South Coast Coalition (S.C.C.)  Is good too.  S.C.C. is mainly two white guys but they can lay a good beat. The Cds that they release usually have big people.
I.E. Lil Boosie T-Bo etc..
Lil Boosie is good too, but he is really becoming big also..

A Dallas area underground group is Woss Ness (pronounced Wasp Nest)  Older albums of theirs are good I havent heard anything recent that I enjoy.

Lucky Luciano is a Hispanic rapper thats good. Well his first CD is anyway.  I still havent had the chance to listen to his newest.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

I am not trying to sound Racist I just can't think about a better way to describe the type or rap or person rapping...forgive me for not being P.C.

I know more comments of how can you listen to the stuff and etc. But I listen to anything from Classical To Blues to Old Rock... I have phases.. and Rap is current one.. I revert back to it often.

Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2005, 04:37:30 AM »
J.J.- So you're a pretty big fan of Southern rap? I like the war that T.I. had with Lil' Flip over being "King of the South", lots of good flow there. My good friend is from Georgia so he really introduced me to Southern stuff out of Georgia and Texas. I was listening to Paul Wall and Mike Jones' stuff when it was just 8 minute freestyle stuff in front of a mike because of him. Before that, I mostly liked stuff like Wu Tang, Nas, 8-Ball and MJG, etc. Its cool how we attach to stuff we can identify with, like how you're into the Houston scene and I'm getting into Asian rappers.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2005, 09:40:17 AM »
um, I don't have any in my collection, but there are a few songs by ludacris that are pretty funny, "cause I'm worth a million bajillion, fufillion dollars."

Sir Mix-a-lot.
The Streets.
Digable Planets

For giggles I like "hate-whitie" anti-capitalist garbage like...darn, I can't remember the name, help me out here, rap afficianados.  

They had a song about the need to arm brothers and form a militia?

anyone? anyone?

atek3

atek3

• friend
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2005, 10:50:03 AM »
Rap lyrics translated into standard english, very funny:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/raplyrics.asp

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2005, 11:59:37 AM »
Atek, was it Brand Nubian?

Edit: I think I was remembering X-Clan, actually. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Clan

atek3

• friend
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2005, 02:40:44 PM »
sorry neither

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2005, 03:09:14 PM »
Early NWA, Tone Loc are some I enjoyed. Is my age showing?

Glock Glockler

• friend
Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2005, 05:31:40 PM »
Beastie Boys and House of Pain are about as far as I go, although you might be able to count Linkin Park if you want to stretch it.

HForrest

Anyone else like rap?
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2005, 10:28:40 PM »
Quote from: caseydog
I was a 70's classics guy for a long time , then I got tired of the way the radio stations wore out the CD the same way they wore out the LP in the 70's , only play the big hits. The eagles had 25 or so good songs , they played the same 3 every day , same with Led Zep and many other good 70's bands, so a few years ago I went looking for something different.
You're totally right about overplayed "classic hits" for the most part. I'm lucky I've found a good radio station that prides itself on playing "deep-cut classics" and has a huge variety of 60's-80's music, but before I found it and was listening to other "CLASSIC ROCK" stations, the such limited song selection almost made me hate 70's hits.