Author Topic: Crooks & Liars is making fun of the gun buying frenzy  (Read 13747 times)

wacki

• friend
Crooks & Liars is making fun of the gun buying frenzy
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:09:17 PM »
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/gun-sales-and-paranoid-right-sucker-

It's official, you are all "suckers".

;/

We should be careful with these articles and defend the NRA when they are libeled.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Crooks & Liars is making fun of the gun buying frenzy
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:18:13 PM »
Yet whenever Bad Stuff Happens, who does that sort run to for protection?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 10:12:36 PM »
It's worth remembering, perhaps, that the NRA is largely underwritten by the arms-manufacturing industry.

If that's the case, I want my $35 back ...  :rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:18:20 PM »
It's worth remembering, perhaps, that the NRA is largely underwritten by the arms-manufacturing industry. So of course it makes sense for them to fearmonger an Obama presidency as much as possible -- you can see the results right now.

The people snapping up all those guns right now? Well, right-wing outfits like the NRA wouldn't exist if not for P.T. Barnum's famous observation.

No nasty little snot like a self-righteous nasty little snot.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:21:57 PM »
I went on to read some of the comments.  The pro-gun liberals are coming out of the woodworks  :cool:

If anything has ever prompted me to want to lock and load, it's been eight years under a neo-conservative, imperialist administration that felt no compunction about restricting free speech and a free press, arresting journalists, spying on its citizens, openly arguing that the Constitution gave it "near dictatorial" commander-in-chief powers, and scoring political points by scapegoating liberals and gay people.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:39:58 PM »
I went on to read some of the comments.  The pro-gun liberals are coming out of the woodworks  :cool:

Yeah, those are the sorts like the radio host in SF that called for Joe the Plumber to be killed.

It's another reason to be armed. Because of violent, obsessed leftists. Thankfully, even if they buy something, they really don't tend to practice with it. Too scared of it, I guess. It might bite them, or drive them to commit a massacre. Broken people, I have no idea what went wrong in their heads.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »
Funny that they don't mention Obama/Biden calling for a new AWB on his campaign website or change.gov (which went away). I won't even go into his voting record on the issue.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »
Well, right-wing outfits like the NRA wouldn't exist if not for P.T. Barnum's famous observation.

Could someone enlighten me on what this is talking about?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:58:33 PM »
P.T. Barnum was quoted as saying, "There's a sucker born every minute".

I'll let you make the connection from there.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 11:33:06 PM »
Ohhh, so that is who said that. Thanks, :D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 05:51:36 AM »

It's another reason to be armed. Because of violent, obsessed leftists.

Kinda reminds you of Chairman Mao's youth "committees" that spread the message of "hope" and "change" in China, doesn't it?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:08:37 AM »
P.T. Barnum was quoted as saying, "There's a sucker born every minute".

I'll let you make the connection from there.

Actually, P. T. Barnum was FALSELY attributed that quote.

Of course, attributing malice to an honorable man is perfect for this piece.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 10:05:24 AM »
Falsely or not, his name is now all over that quote.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 10:22:26 AM »
Franklin also likely hadn't written his infinitely-paraphrased quote about liberty vs safety, either. At least not in the bastardized forms people constantly misquote at each other.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power" is the quote in Poor Richard's Almanack.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »
We'll see who the suckers are.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 12:17:43 PM »
"It's worth remembering, perhaps, that the NRA is largely underwritten by the arms-manufacturing industry."

Well that's a signfiicant lie.

The industry's contributions to NRA are a matter of public record.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 01:08:35 PM »
"It's worth remembering, perhaps, that the NRA is largely underwritten by the arms-manufacturing industry."

If only!!!

I stand and smile in all the frenzy.  Every time you buy an AR-15, the darling Baby One cries. =D

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

neviander

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »
Falsely or not, his name is now all over that quote.

But I saw it on the internet, it must be true!  ;)
"be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 03:14:50 AM »
After all is said and done there is going to be one crowd that stands on top....

The armed.

I am not buying into the panic....truth be told, I am really pissed that the panic has raised prices on 7.62x39.

I wasn't going to to buy out of fear....I was going to buy because I finally had enough overtime time to afford a decent stash.

Effin' panics have screwed the little guy and I am pissed at the buttheads that bought into it.

We all know that the current situation within our economy and diplomatic standing means that "O" has too much on his plate to tackle guns for at least a year and a half.

I am so angry with my fellow gun owners now....I want to protect me and mine, but at the same time I hope their panicky crap makes them burn.

I CAN'T SUPPORT YOU WHEN YOU USE YOUR ECONOMIC POWER TO DISARM ME PASSIVELY....ya you, when you buy all the ammo I can't help you.

By the way, when it come to survival....my headshot means all ur ammos are mine.

Quit being greedy and we might just get out of this alive...all of us!

You might also consider that lobbyists are here to stay and paying off Congress critters is a good way to stay alive...take a bit of that panic money and invest in (shudder) the NRA or GOA.

Wouldn't hurt you to learn how to write a hand written letter to your Congress critter...I am sure your old school English teacher could help you craft a fine piece of writing.

God, my fellow gun owners just royally piss me off.

I apologize to Art's Grandma...but my grandma wasn't one to mince words and I don't either.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 03:16:39 AM »
Yeah, those are the sorts like the radio host in SF that called for Joe the Plumber to be killed.

It's another reason to be armed. Because of violent, obsessed leftists. Thankfully, even if they buy something, they really don't tend to practice with it. Too scared of it, I guess. It might bite them, or drive them to commit a massacre. Broken people, I have no idea what went wrong in their heads.

That's quite a generalization you have going there. 

(if I'm missing sarcasm, I apologize)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."