Author Topic: Do we really think gun control measures are a priority for Obama?  (Read 25620 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Let's look at what's on the table for Obama and the incoming administration.  The economy is in chaos, so to speak, with the stock market tumbling down, major companies like GM, Ford, etc., begging for financial assistance from the Feds, health care a stated concern, terrorists at the gate, and everything else you see on the news every night, do we really think that gun control is a priority for this administration?  Obama is all about public opinion, and what do you think would happen to that public opinion if he starts doing things like pushing gun control legislation through while GM, Chrysler, and Ford all go belly up?

The reason I ask is this...a good friend, and strong RKBA advocate, said that in the course of history, this is a great time to be a gun owner while having an anti-gun president in the White House.  Last time anti's pushed a measure through, and the votes at the next election showed that the public didn't like what they did.  Add all of the concerns going on right now, and the fear that gun control is the third rail of politics these days, and he believes that Obama will not touch gun control issues with a ten foot poll.  You might see something like a return of an AWB, but not the sweeping bans on handguns, etc., some people fear.

Any thoughts?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Do we really think gun control measures are a priority for Obama?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »
Why would you think one of the True Believers obsessed with the issue due to their own mental instability would not attach it as a rider to any bill they could?

He doesn't have to do anything. All he has to do is sign it.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:37:57 AM »
Exactly.  It isn't really about him.  It's about the whackos in Congress. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:38:34 AM »

I think that's the most likely situation. I doubt he'll push for it, but if an AWB came to him he'd sign it. I doubt anything other than an AWB could make it through congress, and even that isn't guaranteed. I'm pretty optimistic though.

I wish there was a place we could bet on this, intrade doesn't seem to have it as an option yet.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 10:44:17 AM »
Carolyn McCarthy, who is absolutely obsessed, could just tack the entire AWB onto a spending bill and Obama would sign it.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 11:11:26 AM »
Reverse the logic a bit. Will people/legislators oppose gun control legislation at the expense of action to address the other pressing issues you articulated? Would a rider on a plausible relief or tax bill be stopped, if the repercussion is media and public opinion suggesting that opponents don't care about the economy?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 11:30:32 AM »
It all depends on how well BHO fares in the next four years.  We can expect several versions of the AWB to be dropped like dead birds at his feet, and we can expect him to sign one of them.  We can also expect higher taxes on ammunition and "environmental" pressures to close gun ranges.

The real fun & games will come if there is a SECOND Obama term.  That is when the true disarmament agenda will fully flower.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »
For Obama alone?  No.

For the gang around him--most certainly!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 12:35:56 PM »
I could EASILY see an AWB or worse early in the BHO administration.

The reason being, the economy, stock market, etc. are all HARD problems with no easy, pat solution.

An AWB is EASY.  With the stroke of a pen, BHO has a "victory" and can show "results" as BATFE makes arrests and puts manufacturers out of work.

The worse the economy looks and the worse BHO performs, the greater the likelihood of some such bill to claim victory over and crow about.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 12:49:49 PM »
I could EASILY see an AWB or worse early in the BHO administration.

The reason being, the economy, stock market, etc. are all HARD problems with no easy, pat solution.

An AWB is EASY.  With the stroke of a pen, BHO has a "victory" and can show "results" as BATFE makes arrests and puts manufacturers out of work.

The worse the economy looks and the worse BHO performs, the greater the likelihood of some such bill to claim victory over and crow about.

It would also be a way to kiss up to the UN, remember.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 01:02:27 PM »
The democrats in congress now are very different than the ones at the time of the first AWB.

Many of the seats that were picked up are more "center/right" democrats, i.e. blue dog.

The danger still is, how many of them will "go along to get along", and i see one of the biggest weaknesses in the democratic party as a plus here:  They are NOT the same party, lock step behind the president, that the republicans are known to be.

If the NRA, GOA, JFPO, and most importantly, US, reach out to these democrats and let them know that "going along to get along" will be hazardous to their existing seat, they'll be more likely to break ranks than the Republicans would.

I'm not saying there's no danger here, I'm just saying I don't think it's as bleak as we think.  I think he'd be a fool to start out his administration with a divisive issue.  I don't think he's going to go after Abortion or Gay marriage either for the same reasons.

Oh G-d I HOPE I'M RIGHT.  I'M clinging to that belief like I cling to my guns and religion.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

ronnyreagan

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 01:21:47 PM »
(reasonable analysis)

While I agree with everything you say, I would like to point out:
Nitrogen
friends

The guys wearing tinfoil are never going to believe you now.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »
Didn't his transition coordinator say in a recent interview that gun control was a priority for him?  That he'd push for it soon after being his "rule"?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 01:34:29 PM »
.  You might see something like a return of an AWB

Yes, this so minor and unimportant.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 01:45:34 PM »
There is ONE thing that worries me about our Pres Elect: he's a product of the Daley Machine. Wasn't all THAT long ago that the IL legislature needed to figure out a budget of some kind before the state started shutting down. And what'd they do? They started a push on more gun control!

http://thearmedschoolteacher.blogspot.com/2007/07/who-needs-to-pay-bills-illinois-has.html

And this is the system that spawned Obama...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 01:49:25 PM »
You might see something like a return of an AWB, but not the sweeping bans on handguns, etc., some people fear.

Any thoughts?
A return of an AWB is pretty darned sweeping.  It may not seem important to you, but to the rest of us it's a Really Big Deal.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 02:22:46 PM »
An assault weapons ban signed by Obama isn't going to be the same kid glove Clinton version we got the first time, it'll be something like HR1022 banning whole groups of firearms by name alone.

We must stand resolutely at the watch post of liberty, because it's going to be a long four years.
Look, tiny text!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:49 PM »
Anyone who thinks this ends with an AWB is smoking funny cigarettes.  You cannot have a truly docile population until you criminalize the possession of firearms.  Get with the program.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 03:15:41 PM »
Well another thing to look at is who he is targeting to put in his cabinet.  Pull some of the gun grabbers out of the House and Senate and then new blood that are more 2A friendly get put there either through special elections or appointments and we could come out ahead. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 04:49:02 PM »
Well another thing to look at is who he is targeting to put in his cabinet.  Pull some of the gun grabbers out of the House and Senate and then new blood that are more 2A friendly get put there either through special elections or appointments and we could come out ahead. 

Do you think the governors of Illinois and New York are going to install freedom loving patriots? 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »
A return of an AWB is pretty darned sweeping.  It may not seem important to you, but to the rest of us it's a Really Big Deal.

Indeed. And while a national ban on CCW would be very difficult, going after mandatory registration, micro-stamping, mandatory internal locks, or banning "cop killer" ie rifle ammo is not. Not to mention those eeevvvviiiiillllll sniper rifles; you know, the ones that can have a scope attached?

One bad incident of gun violence and it's ban time in the ensuing hysteria.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 07:30:39 PM »
Rahm Emmanuel is an ardent anti-gun democrat.  As The O's Chief of Staff he has a disproportionately large impact on the agenda.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »
its an easy one for him.  he can't turn the economy on a dime but he can offer up gun laws as a "look at what i've done" photo op
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 09:34:41 PM »
its an easy one for him.  he can't turn the economy on a dime but he can offer up gun laws as a "look at what i've done" photo op

yup!

scary!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

ShelleyB.

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »
Anyone who thinks this ends with an AWB is smoking funny cigarettes.  You cannot have a truly docile population until you criminalize the possession of firearms.  Get with the program.

Spot on.

A. Criminalize and confiscate
B. Register and confiscate

An armed populace is the last barrier to dictatorship.