Author Topic: Do we really think gun control measures are a priority for Obama?  (Read 25717 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Do we really think gun control measures are a priority for Obama?
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
Do I think they're the top priority?

No.

Do I think that they are a priority that can be easily shoehorned in amongst all of the other things on his plate?

Yes.

Who says that one or two really big problems puts a set of absolute blinders on a president, administration, congress, etc?

He's issued the call to disarms in the past. You don't think there aren't a bunch of Democrats and Republican traitor toddies who are more than willing, and exceptionally happy, to craft a little rider package and affix it to the first piece of "Screw You Mr. and Mrs. America" legislation that presents itself as a sure bet to pass?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 11:04:20 PM »
Well another thing to look at is who he is targeting to put in his cabinet.  Pull some of the gun grabbers out of the House and Senate and then new blood that are more 2A friendly get put there either through special elections or appointments and we could come out ahead. 

Damn! Stop it, you're killing me!

What do you think the chances are that any of the loyal, long-term Dems that Obama would pull from either body just might come from a state where anti-gun legislation is legion, and where an anti-gun governor, generally the individual who has most, if not all, say over appointing an interim congressman to fill an unexpired term, would magically appoint a strong Second Amendment supporter?

I'd say the overall chances of getting a win on something like that are about 0.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 11:21:04 PM »
What I think we'll see is something more like...

"Hey, we can do this! Let's do it quick! Show those rednecks a thing or two!"

I think we should cut off food to the cities.

Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 12:41:48 AM »
Add all of the concerns going on right now, and the fear that gun control is the third rail of politics these days, and he believes that Obama will not touch gun control issues with a ten foot poll.

Gun control is no longer the third rail of politics.  Too much time has passed since the last AWB, and your typical gun-grabber does not have that long a memory.

its an easy one for him.  he can't turn the economy on a dime but he can offer up gun laws as a "look at what i've done" photo op

c&sd hit the nail square on the head.  Obama is going to need a lot of photo ops after Jan. 20 once reality sets in.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 08:56:11 AM »
O'Bama wish list will be heavily modified by economic reality.  So I suspect he will want to do something to pander to some elements of his base; something that costs little but shows his bona fides.  Gun control would fit the bill.  That said, a frontal assault on gun ownership will stir up a hornets nest and create problems he may well want to avoid.  I still thinkin' international agreements and treaties may well be the means of imposing stricter controls without leaving fingerprints.  "Hey, we gotta do it 'cause this here free trade agreement says we gotta".
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 09:03:07 AM »
Sorry I didn't participate in the discussion.  I guess what I didn't consider in my original post was the illogical aspect of the AMerican media and many in the voting public that put this upcoming administration in place.  I was thinking logically...the biggest problem for America should get the most attention.  What I wasn't considering was that the media who fell in love with Obama will triumph gun control as a huge victory, he will stand with Schumer and Feinstein holding up an AK and shouting about how the children are safer...while ignoring the growing unemployment numbers, the market's slide, etc.

As for gun control no longer being the third rail, I hope you're wrong RocketMan, but at the same time, I think we need to be ready to remind those who have forgotten the lessons of the past.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

CDiPrecision Gunworks

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 09:39:46 AM »
I don't see how this is even a logical or smart debate. The man has it on his change.gov website what they want to do. If it was no where to be found on an "Upcoming Agenda" document, then there may be some guessing, but there is NO guessing about this one. It's like arguing that dog doo smells bad..

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 10:52:53 AM »
What he wants to do is clear enough.  He will push, by steps, toward a "European model."  And he will see what he can get away with.

Those of us who care will have to care enough to stop the neutering of the Second Amendment.

My own belief is that large chunks of what is now still America will end up gunless.  What happens to the rest of America is still open for discussion...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 10:55:42 AM »
My own belief is that large chunks of what is now still America will end up gunless.

No. The criminals in those areas will have plenty of them.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 12:36:59 PM »
Well, if he does - he's going to have to pull the troops out of Iraq and send them to Montana  :O

Don't think I am joking.  My wife told me that there was a major "not taking my guns" rant among women in the stores in Billings a couple days ago.  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 12:56:49 PM »
No. The criminals in those areas will have plenty of them.

Touche'.

I meant law-abiding Americans.  Of course you are right.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
They won't have to ban guns or enact draconian registration laws. They will go after the ammo.

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/press_releases/hsus_calls_for_nationwide_ban_on_lead_shot_111008.html

Or even more evil -
http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 12:29:04 AM »
They won't have to ban guns or enact draconian registration laws. They will go after the ammo.

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/press_releases/hsus_calls_for_nationwide_ban_on_lead_shot_111008.html

“Extremist hunters have long contaminated watersheds and habitat, dooming animals to slow and painful deaths.

!?

The North Dakota Department of Health is now recommending that pregnant women and children younger than 6 avoid eating any venison killed with lead bullets.

Fear mongering to scare people into hating hunters.

North Dakotans who ate wildlife killed with lead bullets had higher levels of lead in their blood than people who ate little or no meat from wild animals.

This is something that I have noticed a lot of anti-anything people do, they interpret the findings for you without actually showing the info.

The Humane Society of the United States is the nation's largest animal protection organization... Celebrating animals and confronting cruelty

What, are they Pagans?

Or even more evil -
http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

From the Ammunition Accountability Act;

An ACT relating to firearms and ammunition; requiring [AGENCY] to establish a statewide
database to track coded ammunition manufactured and sold for handguns and assault rifles.

So basically EVERY kind of ammunition.

Handgun ammunition accounts for 80% of all ammunition sold in the United States.

I wonder if .22LR are considered a handgun ammo... And what does it have to do with anything to begin with?

Establishing and maintaining the ACD shall be funded by an end-user fee not to
exceed [COST NUMBER, ESTIMATED AT $0.005 PER BULLET OR ROUND
OF AMMUNITION].

Great, so they are going to charge us to keep us "safe".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:46:48 AM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 12:07:24 PM »
Just as we must all "eat healthy," so must our firearms.

Just as we must all avoid anti-social behavior for the general good, so must our firearms.

They will take away the ammunition, the gun stores, the gun ranges, and the ease of us (smart tech).  Oh, we will still have our guns but they will be useless museum pieces.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 12:14:50 PM »
I still believe, that with the incoming Congress and President, that any sort of serious gun control legislation will be a third-rail issue.  I think they have more pressing issues to address.  Time will tell.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wacki

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 01:32:07 PM »
History is the best predictor of the future.  And history predicts we are screwed. Just look what Obama did in the Joyce foundation.  Given that the majority of the public still supports an EBR ban, I have doubts that an EBR ban will receive a ton of public resistance.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2008, 03:08:11 PM »
I still believe, that with the incoming Congress and President, that any sort of serious gun control legislation will be a third-rail issue.  I think they have more pressing issues to address.  Time will tell.

And it it's included as a rider on a spending bill? It's already written, all one of the zealots like McCarthy has to do is tack it on as it goes to the vote, and that's it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2008, 10:57:39 PM »
Being from a rural area the whole "third rail" thing doesn't click with me so I had to look it up.
I still don't understand the concept that is something doesn't matter is isn't important it is called a third rail.
Isn't the third rail where the power comes from?
Out of sight out of mind?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2008, 11:31:50 PM »
Being from a rural area the whole "third rail" thing doesn't click with me so I had to look it up.
I still don't understand the concept that is something doesn't matter is isn't important it is called a third rail.
Isn't the third rail where the power comes from?
Out of sight out of mind?

It means you don't touch it. You can walk around on a subway track, but if you touch the third rail, you are grounding power and will be electrocuted.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2008, 11:55:55 PM »
What is the latest polling for public support of an AWB?  I don't think I've seen any.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2008, 02:59:25 AM »
poll question Do you think that criminals should be able to buy machine guns?

answer "no" and you got both gunshow loophole and anti AW poll numbers
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »
Here's a thought, and I'm drafting my letter now, just in case.  Say Obama and Co. take office in January, and in the middle of this economic crisis, start proposing and drafting gun control measures.  My response is a letter to my reps in DC and a letter to the editor taking the administration to task for ignoring the real problems for look-good legislation, and also for actually compounding the problem by making business harder for gun companies, resulting in more lost jobs.  Ring this bell loud enough, and someone is going to hear it.  And, by taking this angle, you might get less of the stereotypical "just another gun nut upset that he can't buy an EBR."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2008, 11:11:26 AM »
I really don't think they'll need to draft anything. They already have one written up that they can just attach as a rider to anything.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »
At least it looks as if he is already going to have to back off of one of his campaign promises.  It is being reported that he may not be able to reverse the Bush tax cuts because of the economy and they will probably have to stay in place until they expire in 2010.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
The people Obama nominates to run the Attorney General's Office, BATFE, FBI, and EPA will have plenty of time to push the anti-gun agenda while everyone else "fixes the economy"...

...unless the GOP senators grow a pair and block nominations like the Democrats did....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.