Author Topic: Pistol declared a medical device!  (Read 1608 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Pistol declared a medical device!
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:05:33 PM »
Prescription Handgun

We recently reported about a new 9mm handgun that was designed for folks suffering from arthritis and other disabilities affecting the hands. Constitution Arms, the manufacturer of the firearm, is reporting that the FDA has formally designated the gun as a medical gadget.

Holy heck!  Maybe I need to see about Grandpa getting one of these.  Though I wonder when a semiautomatic version will come out.   :laugh:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Pistol declared a medical device!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:15:15 PM »
I was curious, Googled and found this: www.palmpistol.com

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:23:44 PM »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 07:12:50 PM »
One problem I have with it is that it doesn't look to have any aiming system and it's too large for a derringer, the only advantage is that it looks large enough to have a full size barrel.

Still, given only one shot I would have gone for .45 or .357 over 9mm.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »
I'm surprised this isn't a more popular topic considering medicaid and so on will be paying for it. Plus, what are the legalities? As a medical device, does it have to be sold through FFL? Is it a DD? AOW?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Marvin Dao

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 11:40:10 PM »
I'm surprised this isn't a more popular topic considering medicaid and so on will be paying for it. Plus, what are the legalities? As a medical device, does it have to be sold through FFL? Is it a DD? AOW?

It's type classified as a pistol by the ATF. Only real question was if it'd get classified as an AOW since it doesn't look like most other pistols on the market.

The medical device classification open the possibility of a person with a disability that prevents them from using a standard pistol could get receive some form of reimbursement for the pistol from whatever health coverage they have. It is unlikely that any insurance company (or the fed.gov for that matter) would actually cover this though, least without some sort of lawsuit or legal fight.

It's interesting, but $300 for a largish 9mm single shot pistol is noncompetitive. I'm kinda surprised the maker didn't spend the couple of bucks it would have taken to provide an integral laser sight tied into the grip safety.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »
Only real question was if it'd get classified as an AOW since it doesn't look like most other pistols on the market.

So they ended up declaring it a regular pistol?

I'm kinda surprised the maker didn't spend the couple of bucks it would have taken to provide an integral laser sight tied into the grip safety.

I'd have to agree.  The firearm, as is, lacks a good aiming system.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 04:42:02 PM »

Yep, it's a regular pistol. AOW classfication would really kill any market viability this thing has.

Cliff47

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
I have always considered a pistol (for recreational shooting) to be an excellent stress reduction tool, and I don't need a prescription to get one...

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 11:28:20 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 11:46:53 PM »

I'd have to agree.  The firearm, as is, lacks a good aiming system.

With one shot and one shot only, you'd have to be nuts to take "aim", given that this weapon is intended for the frail. You wait until you see the whites of his eyes, then you jam it against a vital spot and fire.
Hi.

neviander

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 12:41:52 AM »
If this ever saw any serious light, they'd repeal that decision REAL quick.  Ha, can you imagine getting a coupon for a Glock from Uncle Sam?  :laugh:
"be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."