Author Topic: Art  (Read 5437 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Art
« on: March 13, 2005, 01:03:32 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/GiveMeABreak/story?id=563146&page=1

March 11, 2005  People got very excited about Christo's latest public art work, "The Gates," in New York's Central Park. For two week's 7,500 metal gates draped with orange fabric were staked along 23 miles of the park's footpaths. Some people called "The Gates" a masterpiece. Others called it an ugly nuisance.
On ABCNews.com, we showed four reproductions of art works that are considered masterpieces of modern art along with six pieces that will never make it into any museum. We asked viewers to decide which work was art and which was not.

I assumed the famous art would get the most votes if only because art lovers would recognize them, but they didn't. Most got far fewer votes than the winner.

The one that received the most votes as a "real" artwork was a piece of framed fabric "20/20" bought at a thrift store for $5.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

...has left the building.

Art
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 04:20:23 AM »
Christo and his cohorts do some of the most pointless and expression-devoid projects I've ever seen. My wife has a degree in art, so I frequently had to sit through exhibitions to hear people's explanation of the artistic vision on a work. With that experience, I've found that some artists will latch onto the most mundane concepts and try to "express" it. It is obvious that they are trying to express some sort of "changing the environment to look at it differently" BS. If I want to look at the physical world altered I'll drink some absinthe. rolleyes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Art
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 05:02:19 AM »
Anybody remember when one of Christo's giant yellow umbrellas  broke loose, flew through the air, and skewered a woman that was viewing the exhibition?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

...has left the building.

Art
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »
I read about that. But it like totally altered her perception of the world. I think I'm going to go around urinating on sacred objects the world over and call that my "art". I could make millions!

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Art
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 01:51:56 PM »
Overheard at the art exhibit:

Painter: This is my latest work.  I call it "time of essence".

Guy:  This is crap.  It's a bunch of scribbles!  My two year kid daughter could have made that painting and soldl it for ten thousand dollars!

Painter: Yeah, but she didn't.  

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

doczinn

• friend
Art
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 05:10:19 PM »
That's beautiful. I've been saying for years that there was nothing special about what they call art; now someone has proved it.
D. R. ZINN

Standing Wolf

• friend
Art
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 05:16:10 PM »
Speaking strictly as an artist: the term isn't "con craftsman" or "con scientist" or "con accountant" or "con constultant," but "con artist."

Some of us are artists.

Some of us are con artists.

'Nuff said?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Art
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 05:43:22 PM »
to an untrained eye
ABC's thrift store print looked alot like a Warhol

Most of the conceptual paintings require extensive treking in rarified gallery air to understand

The childrens art was judged good because of its uninhibited expression
Its the same reason why art experts will find "art" in elephant & ape paintings
Their art is more unique than a trained homo sapiens scrawlings
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Art
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 06:06:25 PM »
My definition of art is that it is art if it is something the general public (NOT niche artsy types) would pay for and/or view.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Happy Bob

• friend
Art
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 07:55:43 PM »
My definition of "art" is something made by human hands.

"Good Art" is a smaller category.
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

Art
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 08:14:35 PM »
Being the older student I am, I took Intro to Art. I had really good Instructor, she noticed my expression while viewing slides of Christo's works.  I had this reputation of saying what I thought and she asked me what I thought.

" You mean to tell me he gets paid for doing that? He actually has groupies ?  You young folks missed out - in my day the gals were burning bras and putting flourensent paint on themselves and making "art" against the walls. We didn't call it Art...we called it having a good time".

Had to explain "groupies" , "black lights" , and ...well it really sucks to be older than the instructor at times.

At least Pollack showed some passion and enthusiasm. I prefer Picasso, his pen and inks intrigue me.  Ronin's "Gates of Hell" - So much to this one work alone.  Monet at least captured differnet settings of the same work.

Christo reminds me of growing up and everyone used Clotheslines - we didn't have dryers. Maybe Christo has a fetish for clothelines...

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Art
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 05:02:47 AM »
I've seen lots of art that I like that isn't necessarily representational- or at least it isn't readily apparent.  There is a modern art museum near me that has an outdoor sculpture park.  Some of that stuff is really great, some of it is lost on me, some is just cool to look at.  Sometimes they make you think.

Whatever.  It's free to look at, so I'm glad there are people out there doin git, even if I don't "get it."  I'm also glad that there are people willing to sell and purchase seemingly worthless stuff for huge gobs of money, because I really like the free market!  Smiley

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

MicroBalrog

• friend
Art
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 10:39:59 AM »
One is reminded to a certain character called Ellsworth Toohey. Sad
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

CatsDieNow

• friend
Art
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 11:16:36 AM »
I was browsing through the crap on display with my parents (Mom's an art teacher and was unimpressed as well) and we finally found something worth looking at...there I was examining the welds on some aluminum sculpture when one of the employees yelled at us for touching the art.  My father yells back "We will keep that in mind if we see any!"

It went down hill from there.  I am proud to have been banned from the Fort Worth modern art museum along with the rest of my family.  cool