Author Topic: Norton Internet Security and pop ups question  (Read 3605 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Norton Internet Security and pop ups question
« on: October 25, 2005, 11:02:24 AM »
Looking to allow pop ups from a site, anyone know how I configure Norton Internet Security to allow popups from an individual site?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Justin

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 07:16:52 AM »
Blah.

Dump the Norton bloatware and get Firefox and Spybot.  If you're paranoid, add Ad Aware to that and Grisoft AVG anti virus.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 07:42:52 AM »
That wasn't my question.  I prefer the Norton, as its an all in one package.  I've had extremely good sucess with it protecting my dumbass wife from destroying another computer.  I personally don't like sites that open into other windows, anyways, and told the site owner so.  If there is a way to allow it in Norton, fine.  If not, then I'm not worried.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Preacherman

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 04:46:36 PM »
Yes, you can customise Norton.

1.  Open Norton Internet Security.

2.  On the left of the screen, click on the "Norton AntiSpam" button.

3.  Click the "PopUp Blocking" feature.

4.  Click the "Configure" button on the right of the screen.

5.  Click the "Advanced" button to configure individual Web sites.

This applies to the 2005 version of NIS.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 06:11:43 PM »
Thanks, Padre.  Didn't do the trick for some reason, though.  Oh well.
JD

Justin

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 08:27:34 PM »
Jamis-

I've had horrible luck with Norton.  Sysadmin installed it onto a 3d machine and during crunchtime for a 3d render, it caused the machine to render at less than half it's normal speed, as well as causing it to crash every 15 minutes or so.

Norton, as far as I'm concerned, is overpriced, badly written, horrendously executed bloatware designed to cause nothing but frustration and lagged performance for the end user.

It's a shoddy product that I will not hesitate to trash talk at any given opportunity.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 02:06:05 AM »
Recommend a better program please?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 02:59:11 AM »
What Justin said.  BOTH posts.  Norton always seemed to be a way to pay money for instability.

I'll only add, that REALLY paranoid users of Windows also download Spybot Search & Destroy, Windows Anti-Spyware, and Spyware Blaster.  And a firewall like Sygate.

Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Windows Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, Sygate firewall, Grisoft AVG and switching to Firefox/T-bird for browsing/email has kept my (PC) clueless dad from turning his WinXP box into a spyware/virus-infested brick.  Automate what you can (which is ~75% of updates/scans, with the free versions) and print out a regimen for the maual tasks.  It has been 10 months of malware-free computing for him.

A similar regimen exists on my wife's laptop.  She soldiered on for years using linux, but fianlly I got her the laptop I promised.  She's been good, lo these 8 months.  Still uses Firefox/T-bird.

Switching to Firefox/T-bird helps keep the malware from getting on your machine in hte first place.  IE/Outlook is the computing equivalent to walking into a pack of wolves wearing trousers made of bacon.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 04:31:59 AM »
Quote from: Justin
Jamis-

I've had horrible luck with Norton.  Sysadmin installed it onto a 3d machine and during crunchtime for a 3d render, it caused the machine to render at less than half it's normal speed, as well as causing it to crash every 15 minutes or so.

Norton, as far as I'm concerned, is overpriced, badly written, horrendously executed bloatware designed to cause nothing but frustration and lagged performance for the end user.

It's a shoddy product that I will not hesitate to trash talk at any given opportunity.
See, I could give a rats ass.  Other than not being able to look at one website that I think is poorly built anyways, its worked just fine for me.
JD

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 04:58:14 AM »
Jamis-

Mirrors my sentiments exactly.  IME any product Symantec gets its hands on turns into bloated crapware.

For antivirus I've had much better luck with AVG and Avast.

For antispyware apps, I used Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad Aware, plus the hosts file @ http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm .

If you must use IE, install the Google Toolbar to block pop-ups, but Mozilla, Firefox, or Opera are much safer alternatives.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 05:15:31 AM »
Quote from: Dave Markowitz
Jamis-

Mirrors my sentiments exactly.  IME any product Symantec gets its hands on turns into bloated crapware.

For antivirus I've had much better luck with AVG and Avast.

For antispyware apps, I used Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad Aware, plus the hosts file @ http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm .

If you must use IE, install the Google Toolbar to block pop-ups, but Mozilla, Firefox, or Opera are much safer alternatives.
See, I never asked that *expletive deleted*ing question.  All I wanted was to see if I could allow individual popups.  The padre answered that question.
JD

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 05:31:55 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
Thanks, Padre.  Didn't do the trick for some reason, though.  Oh well.
Quote from: JamisJockey
See, I never asked that *expletive deleted*ing question.  All I wanted was to see if I could allow individual popups.  The padre answered that question.
With due respect to Preacherman & all participants...Preacheman may have "answered your question," but the answer does not seem to have solved your problem, at least according to your posts.  

Good luck with solving your problem.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 06:34:42 AM »
Quote from: jfruser
With due respect to Preacherman & all participants...Preacheman may have "answered your question," but the answer does not seem to have solved your problem, at least according to your posts.  

Good luck with solving your problem.
I think it has more to do with how the site is set up than Norton itself.  Which is fine by me, I really don't like sites that open in new windows, for whatever reason.  And, sites like my bank, which opens in another window when I login to manage my account work fine.
JD