Author Topic: Dr. Dan's prescription  (Read 27009 times)

...has left the building.

Dr. Dan's prescription
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2005, 09:56:30 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
Quote from: Daniel Flory
Never once did I say "most", "many", "the majority", etc. The tone is on both forums, in whatever quantity, that is what I am commenting on.
The very fist part of the first post in this thread:

I think there is a sickness on THR and APS...and that is the complete misunderstanding of people who are not conservative white people. Believe it or not, I get racist vibes all the time on both forums. Everyone just needs to chill out with their preconceived notions of people because they are Mexican, Black, or whatever. I understand that many of you have little or no contact with urban culture, or if you do, you're repulsed by it.
Most racists dont realize what they are saying either.
Okay I concede that I said "many". But that still doesn't prove the trite point you're trying to make: that I'm making generalizations about those who generalize, and that you view it as hypocritical. My post isn't intended to call people out as being racist, or the entire forum for that matter. It is just that there are frequently racist overtones or cultural misunderstandings. And these misunderstandings are frequent enough to warrant me commenting about them. It is as simple as that.

...has left the building.

Dr. Dan's prescription
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2005, 09:58:41 AM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig
Daniel,
We are an international community: Republicans and Dems.  Straight, gay, celibate, young, old, male, female, PhD's and dropouts.  Orthodox, atheist, Baptist and all the gaps in between.
And of course, every color of the spectrum.  
Bill W. teaches to "take what works for you, and leave the rest behind."
I assure you, there are some major idiots, and maybe even a few downright evil folks on these fora.
We are bettered as individuals and a community by what we can learn from each other.
Sometimes the lesson is caught by simply coming to understand... "that man is a fool."
FWIW, I think very highly of you, and never knew of your Asian ancestry until very recently, and that changes nothing.
I teach my kids to judge only by character, and hope I model that in my own dealings.

All,
Sure would be nice if we could all just accept that Saluki Fan has properly concluded this thread, and get back to talking about sm's adventures or good ale or someone's latest PC problems.  Just my thought.

"I think the main thing to remember is that it is important to increase your empathy for the other guy and limit your defensiveness so you can learn from someone else."
+1
Fig,

I really appreciate the complement, I also think highly of you and your character. I think you're dead on, Saluki Fan came along and gave the coup d'grace to any type of sentiment from both sides of the issue. What Saluki said was dead on and very refreshing to read.