Author Topic: Gun Sales  (Read 17946 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Gun Sales
« on: January 08, 2009, 04:03:43 PM »
Got a copy of the NSSF range report e-mail newsletter today.    Two Items of interest:

ATF Posts Notice for All FFLs
Regarding Shortage of ATF Form 4473

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has run into an unprecedented demand for ATF Forms 4473 (5300.9) Part I Revised August 2008 and is running low on its inventory.

To address the shortage of these yellow form 4473s, ATF has posted a notice on its Web site authorizing a temporary measure of allowing FFLs to photocopy form 4473 in its entirety.

Of course, an option is to use the electronic form, E-4473, available from the ATF.gov Web site.

This temporary measure is intended to remedy any shortage, and a notice will be posted at the expiration of this measure's authorization.

Which appears to be caused by this:

Gun Sales Continue to Increase;
NICS Checks Jump 24% in December

Despite a weak economy, gun sales are continuing to increase amid concerns that incoming lawmakers will institute a new gun ban on law-abiding Americans.

Data derived from the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) show a 24 percent increase in firearm purchaser background checks for the month of December 2008 (1,523,426 checks) over December 2007 (1,230,525 checks). This increase follows a 42 percent rise in NICS checks for the preceding month, the highest number of checks in NICS history. FBI background checks are required under federal law for all individuals purchasing firearms from federally licensed retailers. These checks serve as a strong indicator of actual sales.

A recent poll of hunters and target shooters by Southwick Associates Inc., in which 80 percent of respondents said they expect it will become more difficult to purchase firearms under the incoming administration and congress, explains the increase in sales.

"Sales of firearms, in particular handguns and semi-automatic hunting and target rifles, are fast outpacing inventory," said National Shooting Sports Foundation President and CEO Stephen L. Sanetti. "It's clear that many people are concerned about possible gun bans under the incoming Congress and are reacting accordingly."

According to ATF, the large increase in demand for firearms has led to a shortage of Form 4473s.

Final year-end NICS data reveals a total of 12,709,023 background checks reported in 2008, up 14 percent from 2007.

Any bets on how long the incoming Congress/Administration takes a look at this numbers and either goes for a gun ban or at least a "temporary" suspension of gun sales ??

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Gun Sales
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:38:20 PM »
a buddy from a capitol hill lobby group told me that the FAET is flowing revenue into state wildlife commissions

http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faqs.shtml

http://www.outdoorblog.net/2008/07/22/congressional-sportsmens-foundation-csf-briefs-congressmen-on-introduced-faet-legislation/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »

Hrm.  So 1,523,426 (give or take a couple thousand for denies) firearms are in the hands of certified sane, law abiding citizens?   Excellent.  That's one firearm for every 150 US citizens, aged 18 or older.  In one month.  Come to think about it, two months worth of sales probably exceeds the total number of firearms in armories for the entire US military. 

Any bets on how long the incoming Congress/Administration takes a look at this numbers and either goes for a gun ban or at least a "temporary" suspension of gun sales ??

Gun ban would take a bit of time, which would spike numbers even higher and make the issue look even more worrisome to a career minded Congresscritter.  "Temporary" suspension of gun sales would probably double gun purchases if/when the suspension was over.  Remember the effects of the Cali .50 cal ban.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »
I'm currently trying to find some good prices on a Springfield XDM, a Ruger SR9, a Mossberg 4X4, and a Mossberg 590. Seeing if the local shop will come close to online prices.

It will be interesting to see if they have the 4473's. Definitely don't want to do it online. :lol:

Let's beat December's sales to start the new year.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:08:07 PM »
Just for fun, I'd been peeking at what prices are doing.

Bulgarian AK waffles are now $40 at every vendor. :O

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
Just for fun, I'd been peeking at what prices are doing.

I saw a stock Arsenal AK, used, for $1500.   Generic brand AR stripped receivers for $500.  etc etc.   Well, supply and demand.  Just glad I have everything on my list purchased already.  I'm just hoping that the price increases prompt more manufacturers or importers to open the flood gates.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »

MMMMmmmmm... waffles!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:43:26 PM »

Gun ban would take a bit of time, which would spike numbers even higher and make the issue look even more worrisome to a career minded Congresscritter.  "Temporary" suspension of gun sales would probably double gun purchases if/when the suspension was over.  Remember the effects of the Cali .50 cal ban.   

In the interest of "cutting back" and "making tough choices", it would not take much to lay off NICS employees and grind sales to a standstill...certainly not an act of Congress.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:49:17 PM »
In the interest of "cutting back" and "making tough choices", it would not take much to lay off NICS employees and grind sales to a standstill...certainly not an act of Congress.

The FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division handles full NICS services in 30 states.   Some states, including the fine Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, have their own NICS employees.   It would indeed take, at a minimum, an act of Congress to shut us down. 

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 08:41:12 PM »

I have a hunch it would be a lot quicker and easier just to have so-called "computer problems."
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 10:03:24 PM »
I have a hunch it would be a lot quicker and easier just to have so-called "computer problems."
Just like what happened during the Million Mom March in DC during Clinton's term. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 01:14:53 AM »

The problem with that is that it's now a lot harder to buy a gun in a hurry.  Most anything they're going to ban is now sold out or soon to be sold out. 

Go into your local shop and try to buy an AR or AK.  Ask 'em about a few of the popular hicap pistols.  Chances are you'll here responses like "none available" and "3 month waiting list."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 05:45:20 AM »
If there's no gun ban within the year, a lot of people will be looking very silly with their $1500 AKs.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 07:11:54 AM »

Yet Belgian waffles are still very affordable. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 07:45:09 AM »
Belgian waffles were part of the Bill Bennett, Gun Czar, 1989 ban. =D

I'm all set and I'll soon start checking into selling off what I stockpiled.  I'm going to take a folding stock AK to the show in Indy this weekend and test the market.

I just want to get a few Masadas before the Barry Ban gets pushed.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 09:06:19 AM »
Generic brand AR stripped receivers for $500.
:O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 09:23:50 AM »

Or it goes the other way completely, and they realize that the "gun owner factor" is alive and well. And they decide that it's not worth losing a house in 2010 like they did in 1994 with any significant anti-gun legislation.

They can sway the American middle with nebulous notions of "change" and class envy, but the gun issue is something concrete they can wrap their heads around.
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 09:25:54 AM »
If there's no gun ban within the year, a lot of people will be looking very silly with their $1500 AKs.

I'm sure people expressed a similar sentiment about machine guns around 1985.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 10:01:35 AM »
Agree with AJ on this one.

Bill Clinton, in his book, pulled no punches in saying that the '94 ban was one of the worst mistakes he ever made. He said that Democrat leaders begged him not to push for the ban, and said that they would lose in the '94 elections. Well, they were right, and he admitted it.

There's a lot more EBR owners now than there were in '94. I just can't see the Democrats not realizing what the implications would be. The Democrats understand doing what it takes to get elected and stay in office. It's their whole reason for being.

I'm betting that we'll see a couple of relatively minor pushes, such as "closing the gun show loophole." Even these, though, will have a tough time.

Many of the newly-elected Democrats come from districts that were previously represented by Republicans, and are thus more conservative. Bitter and clinging, if you will.

As it is, I think the Republicans are positioning themselves to take back control of congress in 2010. Why would the Democrats hand them the keys by pushing gun control?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
There's a lot more EBR owners now than there were in '94. I just can't see the Democrats not realizing what the implications would be. The Democrats understand doing what it takes to get elected and stay in office.

They don't care.  They must disarm the serfs. 

"Gun control" is part of their DNA.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 10:18:34 AM »
"They don't care.  They must disarm the serfs."

Very true. The ones who are REALLY pushing this crap are the true zealots who come from areas where they could eat a baby and still be re-elected.

Since this is taking a more political tack, I'm moving it to Politics Place.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:23 AM »

Only silly if they sold them at a loss.  Firearms last quite a long time if properly kept.  If you purchased something, even at an inflated price, it's because you felt the object was worth the price.  I'm probably going to pay quite a bit more than $1500 for a AK varient I am looking for.  It's my holy grail, and I'm willing to pay through the nose happily to get one.  Only thing is, I'm not sure if there are any in the country...

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »

As it is, I think the Republicans are positioning themselves to take back control of congress in 2010. Why would the Democrats hand them the keys by pushing gun control?
Democrats do a lot of things that don't make sense.  Expecting them to act upon reason and sense is pretty dumb.

Personally, I'm not about to rely on Democrats to do the right thing.  I won't pay scalper prices for stuff, but I am going to stock up on a few items.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »

I think they're still scratching their heads and wondering why Republican Lite didn't work, and positioning themselves to try it again. They're also of course still worrying if Palin will go off message when she talks to the media, still...they need to make sure she doesn't!

Also, Boehner is an idiot and needs to go, but will not.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »
I hear other government agencies are quite jealous of the FAET revenue from these sales.

Why kill a revenue stream? They are more likely to increase the taxes and add more repercussions to off book sales.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"