Author Topic: H.R. 45  (Read 2987 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
H.R. 45
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:36:03 PM »
Get your pens out, folks. That sure didn't take long....

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:h.r.00045:

SEC. 101. LICENSING REQUIREMENT.

Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(aa) Firearm Licensing Requirement-

`(1) IN GENERAL- It shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to possess a qualifying firearm on or after the applicable date, unless that person has been issued a firearm license--

`(A) under title I of Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009, which license has not been invalidated or revoked under that title; or

`(B) pursuant to a State firearm licensing and record of sale system certified under section 602 of Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009, which license has not been invalidated or revoked under State law.

`(2) APPLICABLE DATE- In this subsection, the term `applicable date' means--

`(A) with respect to a qualifying firearm that is acquired by the person before the date of the enactment of Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009, 2 years after such date of enactment; and

`(B) with respect to a qualifying firearm that is acquired by the person on or after the date of the enactment of Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009, 1 year after such date of enactment.'.
Hi.

Manedwolf

• friend

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Hi.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: H.R. 45
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:48:13 PM »
Actually the other thread does not go into detail on this.  I read the bill but never saw a definition of what a qualifying firearm is.  Did I miss it or is it just not there?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:12:46 PM »
Actually the other thread does not go into detail on this.  I read the bill but never saw a definition of what a qualifying firearm is.  Did I miss it or is it just not there?

SEC. 3. DEFINITIONS.

(a) In General- In this Act:

(1) FIREARM; LICENSED DEALER; LICENSED MANUFACTURER; STATE- The terms `firearm', `licensed dealer', `licensed manufacturer', and `State' have the meanings given those terms in section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code.

(2) QUALIFYING FIREARM- The term `qualifying firearm' has the meaning given the term in section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, as amended by subsection (b) of this section.

(b) Amendment to Title 18, United States Code- Section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(36) The term `qualifying firearm'--

`(A) means--

`(i) any handgun; or

`(ii) any semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device; and

`(B) does not include any antique.'.

It would make it illegal for you to own guns you already own unless you play their game, get their licenses, and subject yourself to constant scrutiny and even inspections.

Also, if you fail to report the theft of a firearm within 72 hours, or if a bureaucrat fails to process your report of such, you would be sent to prison for five years.

It is war on law-abiding firearms owners, pure and simple. No other description for it.

And:

SEC. 801. INAPPLICABILITY TO GOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITIES.

This Act and the amendments made by this Act shall not apply to any department or agency of the United States, of a State, or of a political subdivision of a State, or to any official conduct of any officer or employee of such a department or agency.

If you read that, you see why people are saying "If they try to pass that, that's The Line."

NRA-ILA seems to be asleep at the wheel on it, though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:31:17 PM by Manedwolf »

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 05:14:53 PM »
Another major issue, besides the obvious, is that it appoints the fed AG as the supreme commander over the licensing of individuals, and if you notice who has been named as the AG.....don't expect ANY private citizens to get a license if this were to get passed.

BTW person named for AG is an Eric Holder, extremely anti-gun

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:48:04 PM »
I shot a message off to my Congressman, Mr. Tom Latham. I all ready know that Mr. Latham will not vote for this bill in any shape or form but it felt good to send him a letter anyways.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »
Then there's this bit:

(3) to the extent that firearms trafficking is intrastate in nature, it arises out of and is substantially connected with a commercial transaction, which, when viewed in the aggregate, substantially affects interstate commerce;

(4) because the intrastate and interstate trafficking of firearms are so commingled, full regulation of interstate commerce requires the incidental regulation of intrastate commerce;

In other words, "We're going to destroy state's rights".

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
I noticed that no one has jumped on as a co-sponser.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
I noticed that no one has jumped on as a co-sponser.

When it was introduced in 2007, one of the 15 who signed on was Rahm Emannuel.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 06:14:55 PM »
Not that I am worried about my congressman's position on this, but I sent Rep. Denny Rehberg a message asking him to oppose it in the off chance it makes it out of committee.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »
And if you get your license within 5 business days of passing, we'll offer it up for only $500 before taxes.