Author Topic: Gun Sales  (Read 17871 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Gun Sales
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »
Yes, the Dem's are historically worse.  By a wide margin.  But don't forget that the Repubs are not the most pro-2A folks either.  For a period of time, they had a lock on every branch of government, and they did nothing to loosen gun control laws. 

Judicial appointments were a big something, actually.

And didn't Ashcrofts's DOJ do us a couple of small favors?  Reduced the time that certain records were kept, I believe, and came out in favor of an individual rights interpretation. 

So, it's better than "nothing."  Just sayin'.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »
Judicial appointments were a big something, actually.

And didn't Ashcrofts's DOJ do us a couple of small favors?  Reduced the time that certain records were kept, I believe, and came out in favor of an individual rights interpretation. 

So, it's better than "nothing."  Just sayin'.

Ashcroft wrote a nonbinding letter saying his interpretion of the 2A was individual as opposed to collective.  Basically, Heller.  In fairness, he also said he supported child safety locks and a ban on assault weapons.  In short, Ashcroft was a Fudd.   

I may be mistaken, so please don't quote me...  But wasn't that record retention thing just actually complying with pre-existing laws?  As I recall, certain folks in govt were keeping certain records long past the legally mandated destruction dates?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:21:55 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 01:08:29 AM »
So we still have judicial appointments, destroying records after 24 hours, and a statement on the 2A as an individual right.  As I said, better than nothing. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bk425

• Now's the time
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2009, 05:37:15 PM »
Or it goes the other way completely, and they realize that the "gun owner factor" is alive and well. And they decide that it's not worth losing a house in 2010 like they did in 1994 with any significant anti-gun legislation.

They can sway the American middle with nebulous notions of "change" and class envy, but the gun issue is something concrete they can wrap their heads around.

VERY -well- -said-. And we can "help the process along"
http://www.nraila.org/ActionCenter/GetInvolvedLocally/
-Boyd

bk425

• Now's the time
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »
bksnip

I may be mistaken, so please don't quote me...  But wasn't that record retention thing just actually complying with pre-existing laws?  As I recall, certain folks in govt were keeping certain records long past the legally mandated destruction dates?
Something our opponents are already fighting to return to. Check out the first comment on this article:
http://www.opposingviews.com/articles/opinion-stop-eric-holder-from-becoming-attorney-general
then
http://www.nraila.org/ActionCenter/GetInvolvedLocally/  -Boyd

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »
I have a $100 bet going with the owner of a gun store in California. She said this afternoon that the new AWB will be passed and signed into law by the end of this year. For me, $100 isn't a small amount, but that's how certain I am that we're not going to see anything major make it through to Obama's desk.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2009, 06:21:48 PM »
I have a $100 bet going with the owner of a gun store in California. She said this afternoon that the new AWB will be passed and signed into law by the end of this year. For me, $100 isn't a small amount, but that's how certain I am that we're not going to see anything major make it through to Obama's desk.

I am not so sure. These are zealots who are actually frightened of commoners with arms. Besides, HB 45 could be a deliberate ruse...they'll "compromise" by settling for the "far more reasonable AWB".