Author Topic: Iraq to buy 2000 T-72 tanks  (Read 11895 times)

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
Re: Iraq to buy 2000 T-72 tanks
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »
2k of T72's is a fair number, but not insanely high.  Figure half will be "in operations" at any given time.  Unless you domestically manufacture all the parts necessary for repair and maintenance of your tanks, you want plenty of spares.

I don't consider myself particularly knoweldgable on this, but I doubt that Iraq is buying more than it needs in order to cannibalize parts.

Either way, it sounds like an excessive amount to me.  Isn't that enough to equip about 60 battalions, based on Soviet TOE?  Isn't that more than Saddam had total in his Republican Guard divisions before the Gulf War?  I would guess that is several times more than Iraq needs for defensive purposes, considering it should be concentrating on reliable and profession infantry to maintain order in the streets.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 12:22:53 AM »
How many tanks does Iran have?  Or, more importantly, how many tanks would it take to defeat a major Iranian attack?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 03:14:29 AM »
Wouldn't anti-tank systems be better? Have a hard time invading anyone with those.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »
Wouldn't anti-tank systems be better? Have a hard time invading anyone with those.

Best anti-tank weapon is usually another tank.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 08:39:59 AM »

A combined arms force (mechanized infantry, artillery and tanks) can wipe the floor with any units using only anti-tank systems.  That was proven in WWII and in the Yom Kippur War. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 12:29:44 PM »
Best anti-tank weapon is usually another tank.

Hrm.  Na.  The best anti-tank weapon is an A10.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »

Thats not what Guderian said though.

=D
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 03:11:52 PM »

Unfortunately, the Air Force doesn't think so.  It only keeps that A-10 in service because the Army will demand that the Key West Agreement be amended so that the Army can get it if the Air Force ditches the plane.

The Air Force doesn't consider the A-10 survivable enough given the modern battlefield and prefers the F-16 for the ground attack role.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 03:13:43 PM »
Survivable against SAMs? Or against AA or small arms fire? As far as toughness goes, the A-10 has got to be the toughest. I suppose faster and more advanced planes will fare better against SAMs.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 03:22:26 PM »
Unfortunately, the Air Force doesn't think so.  It only keeps that A-10 in service because the Army will demand that the Key West Agreement be amended so that the Army can get it if the Air Force ditches the plane.

The Air Force doesn't consider the A-10 survivable enough given the modern battlefield and prefers the F-16 for the ground attack role.

Well, that's just plain interesting. 

Talking to my buddies in Air Staff not too long ago, they're pleased that the A-10 has undergone upgrades to the A-10C configuration, and it will continue in the anti-armor/close air support role for many years to come.  The F-16 just couldn't do things as well as the Warthog, so the venerable Hog is scheduled to stay in service until 2028.

LennyJoe could probably provide additional inputs about the A-10's "lack of survivability", and how the F-16 is going to replace it.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 04:07:54 PM »

If the USAF pulled the Hog for any of their new shiney toys which absolutely suck at CAS...  Well, let's just say that they wouldn't have to worry about the survivability of any of their airplanes.   The A10 and the AC-130 are the only CAS options that I would ever trust. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.