Author Topic: Obama sides with Bush on wiretapping  (Read 2416 times)

zahc

• friend
Obama sides with Bush on wiretapping
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »
from slashdot.com
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/23/1744250
palegray.net is one of many who writes "President Obama has publicly sided with the Bush administration on the question of whether the President should be allowed to establish warrantless wiretapping programs designed to monitor U.S. citizens. The President has asked a federal judge to stay a ruling that would allow key evidence into the domestic spying case against the government. 'Thursday's filing by the Obama administration marked the first time it officially lodged a court document in the lawsuit asking the courts to rule on the constitutionality of the Bush administration's warrantless-eavesdropping program.'" jamie points out that Obama's views and opinions were made clear through his Senate vote and numerous public statements, but many others see this as a disappointing start to an administration promising transparency and openness.

I have to say that Obama's whole (alleged) push for government transparency and ethics didn't sound so bad to me. Now, however, this. I wonder if future policies will be from any angle predictable.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Obama sides with Bush on wiretapping
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:54:14 PM »
I certain tune from The Who comes to mind...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:21:17 AM »
So much for Democrats being good on civil rights.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »
This and Patriot Act issues were supposed to be the silver lining to the Obama cloud for libertarian oriented Conservatives.

I'm not getting my silver lining.  I'm just getting a Communist.  Not that I voted for the schmuck anyways... but it is part of his platform of promised platitudes.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

thumbody

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »
So much for Democrats being good on civil rights.

Do a google search for Carnivore ( http://epic.org/privacy/carnivore/ ) and Echelon ( http://fas.org/irp/program/process/echelon.htm )

Your phone calls and email were being monitored long before the Patriot act.
I'm OK it's the rest of the world that's messed up

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »
Do a google search for Carnivore ( http://epic.org/privacy/carnivore/ ) and Echelon ( http://fas.org/irp/program/process/echelon.htm )

Your phone calls and email were being monitored long before the Patriot act.

Carnivore is significantly less advanced than you'd think.  It was a Solaris box that sat at your ISP when the feds got a warrant on ya.  Compared to freeware software like Wireshark, it sucked.   Now it's the responsibility of telcos to provide such capabilities at their own expense, due to CALEA.

Anywho, the real point of the original illegal wiretapping by Bush and the later 2008 Amendments to FISA by Obama was to protect Americans against terrorists.  It's a nice meme, but one that falls apart in short order.  FISA courts turned down approximately 12 or so warrants in over a decade.  They were a rubber stamp, but with one valid purpose.  Records.  If certain folks were using FISA for revenge, personal gain, malicious persecution, etc, there would be proof that it occured. 

The point of the illegal wiretapping, and it's quasi legalization, was to prevent records from being kept so future law suits or government prosecution could not be successful. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Beagle

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »
"Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency." - Barack H. Obama.

"This will be the most ethical administration in the history of the Republic." - William J. Clinton

Anybody remember the one about how to tell if a politician is lying?