Author Topic: Newest gun related bill for CT  (Read 7241 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Newest gun related bill for CT
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »
Or so I'm told, I can't find it on any list of pending bills. Apparently stems from incidents related to stray rounds and noise that have gone on here in recent years.

OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

2009 GENERAL ASSEMBLY SESSION PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE

TITLE: An Act Concerning Firing Ranges

SUMMARY: This proposal requires any person who owns or operates a firing range to register with the Department of Public Safety and to require such person maintain and operate such firing range in safe manner, comply with environmental laws and limit noise emanating from such ranges.

TEXT:

Sec. 1. (NEW) (Effective October 1,2009) (a) No person shall operate a firing range without obtaining a registration from the Commissioner of Public Safety. The commissioner shall develop an application for such registration which shall include the name and residential address of the operator, the location and property description of the firing range, the hours of operation and such other information as the commissioner deems necessary. A registration shall be effective for a period of two years from the date of issuance.

(b) The Commissioner may revoke any registration if (1) the operator has been convicted a felony; (2) the operation of the firing range pose a threat to public safety; (3) the operations of the firing range violate any provision of title 22a; and (4) the noise level from the firing range as measured at the boundary of the property for which the registration has been issued exceeds 60 decibels.

(c) As used in this section, "firing range" means any facility that is used by the public or by members of any club or organization for training, practice or competition involving the use of a firearm but shall not include any facility that is operating solely for use by sworn peace officers as training in their official capacity as peace officers; "commissioner" means the Commissioner of Public Safety; "firearm" and" peace officer" shall have the same meaning as in section 53a-3; and "threat to public safety" shall include but not be limited to a bullet discharged from a firearm at the firing range landing outside the property on which the firing range is located.

(d) The commissioner may promulgate regulations, pursuant to chapter 54, to implement the provisions of this section, including but not limited to any requirements regarding the operations of such facilities.

(e) Any person who violates the provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall be liable for a civil penalty of up to twenty-five thousand dollars. Each violation shall be a separate and distinct violation and, in the case of a continuing violation, each day's continuance thereof shall be deemed to be a separate and distinct violation. Upon request of the Commissioner of Public Safety, the Attorney General may bring a civil action in the superior court to recover civil penalties and to obtain such injunctive and equitable relief as the court deems appropriate.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
Re: Newest gun related bill for CT
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »
If they want to limit the sound from a range to 60dB, they better limit the sound of TRAFFIC to that figure, too.

After all, motor vehicles are FAR more prevalent than shooting ranges.

(A noise complaint was once lodged against a trap & skeet club I belonged to by a woman who lived across the highway. When the local police came out to measure the noise from the range at the woman's property line, they were unable to get a reading as the gunfire was drowned out by the traffic noise from the highway!)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »
By the looks of the thing as a whole they could pretty much close all the ranges I know of for one reason or another. Time to write the state legislators again,,,sigh...  =|

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 10:38:01 PM »
By the looks of the thing as a whole they could pretty much close all the ranges I know of for one reason or another.

[astonishment, great] How surprising. [/astonishment]
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:21:31 AM »
By the looks of the thing as a whole they could pretty much close all the ranges I know of for one reason or another. Time to write the state legislators again,,,sigh...  =|

Being a gun owner in today's political reality is like living in a paper house surrounded by obsessed arsonists. You can never set down the bucket and rest. Ever.

Yes, it gets tiring.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:41:30 AM »
Being a gun owner in today's political reality is like living in a paper house surrounded by obsessed arsonists. You can never set down the bucket and rest. Ever.

Yes, it gets tiring.

" They'd rather whine like what P.J. O'Rourke calls "bedwetting liberals", they'd rather wring their hands and bemoan their fate, than plan and execute a counterstrike in this culture-war they talk about incessantly. All it seems they can do lately is whimper about the horrible things Hillary and Janet have done to us already; the horrible things Hillary and Janet are doing to us now; and the horrible things Hillary and Janet are about to do to us -- instead of concentrating on doing it back! "
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »
I do notice, though, that it's OK for the police to make as much noise as they want at their ranges.
Don

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:00:28 PM »
Funny how that works.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 05:01:26 AM »
I do notice, though, that it's OK for the police to make as much noise as they want at their ranges.

Don't count on that lasting.  Most of the police ranges I use have worse time restraints than some of the outdoor civilian ranges.