Author Topic: On-line map services.Who won't get me lost?(again:(()  (Read 6336 times)

onions!

On-line map services.Who won't get me lost?(again:(()
« on: November 07, 2005, 09:54:20 AM »
Three or four times a year I need a map to send one of our drivers to someplace out of the way.Well today it was my turn.Yahoo maps left me about a mile & a half from my target.I had to ask a local for the final distance.The streets & street names on the ground didn't even match the map!My guys have mentioned it before but have always been able to find the place.Mapquest doesn't even correctly show my house-so I don't trust them either.

If it were just for me I wouldn't care.I prefer to get directions from the party at the other end anyways.The problem is that it's a waste of time(1/2 hour by me today but one of my guys got so lost in Traverse City last year that we were actually getting worried about him!) depending on an on-line map that's grossly incorrect.If they were off by a block it would be one thing but when what's on the ground doesn't come close(unless you squint into the sun maybe)to what's shown on the map I get irritated.

So,what online maps actually work?

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 10:37:21 AM »

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 10:40:14 AM »
I use expedia maps.  Haven't got lost yet.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 11:16:15 AM »
mapquest...okay.
maps.msn.com...'bout the same.

best I've found:
randmcnally.com

Old Dog

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 11:26:05 AM »
I generally plan my excursions after checking Mapquest, MSN maps and Yahoo maps, then comparing 'em ... if two out of three are close, I go with that ... I've found that all the internet map services can make huge mistakes ...
-- Will

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 12:11:15 PM »
Go buy a program from Microsoft called Street and Strips, I think.  Used in New Orleans back in Sept while deployed there.  Got us around near perfect.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 12:22:22 PM »
Rand McNally and Expedia have worked well for me. Mapquest stinks. I used them one time for directions to an IDPA match. I followed their directions to the letter. After much scenery and about 90 minutes driving I arrived at my destination. Right before getting to the entrance of the range I went over the Interstate. Exactly one exit past where I had gotten off the highway to follow mapquest. Sad Trip home took less than 45 minutes.

Warren

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 03:53:45 PM »
On one trip I used mapquest. The map and directions completly failed to mention that the road I was to use was blocked by a railroad. SUPRISE! Found my way round and find the road again but damn, you thinks someone would have noticed that the train goes through there.

Later I read about a fellow whose directions said to turn left off the main road. Problem was that he was turning the wrong way onto a one-way street. SURPRISE!

Fatcat

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 04:10:12 PM »
Google Maps gets me around well enough.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."

mhdishere

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 04:11:05 AM »
I've had lots of bad experiences with Mapquest, the worst was when I was taking a friend to an airport I'd never been too La Guardia in NYC).  Mapquest specifically said that the exit was a left-lane exit, so I got into the left lane.  Well surprise surprise, there's a sign saying the LaGuardia airport exit is coming up in a half mile on the right.  You do not get across three lanes of NYC rush hour highway traffic in 1/2 mile.

She made her flight, but just barely.

On another occasion Mapquest told me to turn onto a road, go 1/2 mile, then make a left.  Only problem is that there was no left in 1/2 mile, or a mile, or two miles.  About the time I decided I just MUST have missed the street, about 3 1/2 miles later, I come to the street I'm supposed to turn onto.

I mostly use Expedia, it's worked fine for me.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 05:28:41 AM »
Not an online service, but I'm a fan of Garmin's MapSource.

Good maps, exits correctly marked, routes can be programmed for minimum time or distance, you can set your average speeds on different kinds of roads to get a better time estimate, you can tell it to avoid certain areas (if you know there is construction, a nasty part of town, event traffic, etc) or types of roads or U turns ... plenty of features and options.  Also the dataset includes phone numbers and addresses for most businesses.

Best of all, for lazy folks like me, you can transfer the map data to your Garmin GPS and always know how far to your next exit, where you are, and so forth.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 05:59:04 AM »
I have to admit, Mapquest has gotten a lot better over the years...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 06:14:36 AM »
I agree with Mike.  The only problem I've had with Mapquest in the past couple years is their vague directions regarding turns.  I've seen them call a 90degree turn a "slight right" and a bend in the road "a left turn".  Otherwise, the directions are usually spot on, at least in my travels...

I still carry and use traditional maps, but it's nice to get blow by blow directions for trips.

Chris

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 06:59:38 AM »
If you can afford it, get Microsoft MapPoint.  Been dead on for me every time.  MapBlast is driven by the MapPoint engine so results should be similar.

http://www.mapblast.com

Greg

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 07:07:24 AM »
*  On-line map services.Who won't get me lost?(again:(()
due to the underlining, i thought that said online man services. this thread is much less of a spectacle than i had hoped.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 07:34:32 AM »
Here in Utah, most streets are numbered in a very logical grid system based off the Mormon Temple.  7000 West, 7800 South, etc.  So, coordinates wise, 1234 West 7800 South is an address west of the temple, and the street its on is 7800 South (which is, gasp, south of the temple).  Most of the map sites completely butcher this by using names, which are used in a secondary fashion around here and often not on the street signs, for directions.  So if someone gives me an address, and I use mapquest, it tells me to turn onto streets by name.  Most don't even have the name on the street signs.  Ironically, the streets that we use names for, mapquest will assign the highway number in the directions.  Turn left on Bangerter hwy...mapquest says turn left on Higway 154.  The sign says....Bangerter highway.  
Also, mapquest and yahoo often give directions to just drive across town, completely ignoring the highway/freeway system.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

matis

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 12:45:01 PM »
JamisJockey
Mormons seem to be rational and intelligent about problems of living.

They put by food and necessities for one year, look after their own -- and now I learn from your post that even the streets in Utah are rationally laid out.

Hmm, interesting.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 03:49:41 PM »
Quote from: matis
JamisJockey
Mormons seem to be rational and intelligent about problems of living.

They put by food and necessities for one year, look after their own -- and now I learn from your post that even the streets in Utah are rationally laid out.

Hmm, interesting.

matis
I'm not a fan of most religions, and the LDS religion certainly has its drawbacks (from my outside perspective), but when they laid the cities out there was certainly some logic to it.  Of course, when you get to start from scratch you can implement these kinds of ideas much more easily.  If you look at most downtowns, the streets are straight and the blocks square.  Here, the grid usually continues into the 'burbs, although the neighborhoods are often 'normal' with winding residential streets.

I'd prefer to not make this a religious debate.  Research any religion throughly before joining, if you know what I mean.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

onions!

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 09:41:30 AM »
Well thanks for the input fellas.

We've successfully used Rand McNallys maps twice.

Thanks again,jeffw

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 04:33:39 PM »
I concur with wmenorr67 on Micorsoft Streets & Trips.

It came loaded on both our desktops and the laptop that we use in our 18 wheeler.  In several years of use covering several hundred thousand miles of trucking it's never steered us wrong.  Best deal I ever got for "free"!  You can zoom in and see the layout of freeway interchanges, service roads...advance details that matter to an 18 wheeler that you'd never think about in a 4 wheeler.  It's amazing!

The point-to-point mileage computations are uncannily accurate...address to address from LA to Boston comes within 3 miles of the odometer!
Known from coast to coast, almost!