Author Topic: The Sucker Wakes  (Read 1835 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The Sucker Wakes
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:14:15 PM »
I wanted to include this in the this thread, but it got whacked before I could participate.

So, I'll just start a new post and see how long it survives.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YmI2NThjNWJkZTMyYjI4YzE4ZWZiOTA3M2QxZjk3NTk=

The Sucker Wakes   [John Derbyshire]

A friend in the finance biz:

I was talking to one of my Ph.D. coworkers this morning about competitive inflation of all paper currencies which will cause most currencies to remain more or less unchanged against each other, but will shatter their value against hard assets. We're both convinced this is happening now and will continue for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, I was giving him my usual rap about Caracas on the Hudson, and how cardboard box cities will spring up in Miami, Houston and Los Angeles over the coming decade. "It's the poor who always suffer worst from inflation." I said.

"Not in this case," said my friend, "because all the poor in this country are deeply in debt. They'll all have the relative value of that debt wiped away while the middle class will end up bearing the brunt of the burden. All Obama has to do is dilute the currency and he'll be responsible for one of the greatest transfers of wealth in human history without firing a shot."

This was so obvious (and frankly brilliant) that I was embarrassed it hadn't occurred to me before. Naturally this solidifies my view of the future even further.

[JD]  I share my pal's embarrassment. Sunday I did my month-end review of our family portfolio. We're down nine percent on 12/31/08. We're down forty percent on 12/31/07. All that money carefully saved and invested in IRAs and SEPs, on expensive advice, is just melting away like dew in the morn.

What fools we were to save! The future belongs to the feckless masses; and if there aren't enough of them to make the future happen, well, heck, the elites will import a few million more.

We've seen the light, though. No more saving for us. Following the portfolio review, we booked a family summer vacation in Hawaii. Can we afford it? No way. So what?

If you know money won't be worth squat four years from now, what's the logical action — save a bundle, or go in debt a bundle? Looks like a no-brainer to me.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: The Sucker Wakes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:24:14 PM »
In periods of strong inflation, carrying debt is better then carrying savings.  The value of either will be strongly diminished.

So carrying debt is better if:
  • You know that there will be high inflation.
  • You know you will keep your job to service the debt.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:40:11 PM »
Additionally, from your previous thread it would seem that once banks start lending out this newly manufactured money, inflation will increase markedly. 

My understanding is that the currency supply does need to expand with the population - but the past year it seems to have expanded wwaaaayyy more then that!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:52:16 PM »
The capitalists shall all hang have unmanageable debt, but they will be hanged on rope made in their own factories. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

myrockfight

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:53:42 PM »
Geez. I thought more people understood what was going on in the world economy. Well I figured most of you guys were educated and cared enough to keep up with the general (massive) devaluing of our currency. Hell. I should start a blog on the financial side of things.

Fortunately, due to medical bills and the cost of that last two years of my education, I am up to my eyeballs in debt. That leaves me on the "good" side of things. However, I am less than thrilled with what is happening.

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:43:05 AM »
I have had a good understanding of this for a few years.  Unfortunately, my plans are all shot.

The plan was, get out of college, rack up an assload of barely manageable debt, and when the economy crashes and inflation goes up, barely managable debt will be easily manageable.

Problem was, the crash started happening 2 years earlier than I had hoped, so right now I am in college with no debt.  This is not a bad thing, but it will not be as advantageous to me as the other plan.   I have no savings, I have instead chosen to spend what little money I have on hard items, I need to spend more on ammo though.