Author Topic: Who makes a good oscilloscope?  (Read 2255 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Who makes a good oscilloscope?
« on: March 04, 2009, 05:28:08 PM »
My old oscilloscope was a piece of crap.  Granted, I only paid $30 for it, but when it gave me totally incorrect reading that led me on a goose chase, I decided to junk it.

Now, I'm in the market for a replacement.  Secondhand is fine.  20mhz is more then enough bandwidth.  Dual trace would be awesome.

So far, I'm looking at the BK Precision 2120.  Looks like they go for about $100 used, and I have a buddy that likes his.

Thoughts?

Teknoid

Re: Who makes a good oscilloscope?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:41:50 PM »
I've used BK and Tektronics. Both worked fine, for reasonably priced scopes. Kinda depends on what you're using
it for. For basic troubleshooting BK is pretty good.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »
I've got three of them.

A Heathkit dual-trace, Tektronix dual-trace, and an antique vacuum-tube Hickok.

I like the Tektronix dual-trace the best.

The nice thing about the Heathkit is the documentation, accessories, and schematics that came with it.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 01:03:28 AM »
I've used many Teks and HP scopes over the years.  I've even owned an old Heathkit (ex- has it now in my ex-garage).  I'm partial to the Teks, as they were easiest to use, accurate, locked on signals the best, etc.
Never cared much for the HPs as they never performed as well as the Teks.
If you ever have the cash someday, I have a real cool Fluke ScopeMeter 196B in my shop at work right now.  It's a lot of fun, accurate and easy to use.  T'were mine, though, I'd get the 196C.  It's got a color display.  Real shiney.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 03:11:50 AM »
Fluke.

I use a 192 Scopemeter at work.  Great scope but kinda pricey.  I also have an old scope I got from DRMO at home, that works really well.  I forget the brand right now, but I'll check when I get back to the world.