Author Topic: FOX tells Obama "No Thanks"  (Read 14736 times)

• friend
FOX tells Obama "No Thanks"
« on: April 29, 2009, 03:57:11 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/.../us_tv_obama_1

Fox sticking with schedule instead of Obama

Mon Apr 27, 4:19 pm ET

NEW YORK – The Fox network is sticking with its regular schedule over President Barack Obama this week.

The network is turning down the president's request to show his prime-time news conference on Wednesday. The news conference marks Obama's 100th day in office. Instead of the president, Fox viewers will see an episode of the Tim Roth drama "Lie to Me."

It's the first time a broadcast network has refused Obama's request. This will be the third prime-time news conference in Obama's presidency. ABC, CBS and NBC are airing it.

Liberals everywhere are upset!  :angel:

“Lie to Me” is said to be:

A drama is based on the real-life scientific discoveries of Dr. Paul Ekman, who will provide a reality element on his website for each episode. Says Roth, “fans will actually see the stuff that we're making up and the stuff that is real. You'll get to see examples of how this all works and you'll be able to train yourself to spot stuff.” So you can learn to spot liars while being entertained.

Maybe I can split screen FOX and ABC. Then I can watch the show and learn to recognize the telltale signs of Obama lying. Not that I'd have much difficulty knowing that and I doubt listening to Obama would be entertaining!  ;/

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: FOX tells Obama "No Thanks"
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:32:35 AM »
Maybe I can split screen FOX and ABC. Then I can watch the show and learn to recognize the telltale signs of Obama lying.  Not that I'd have much difficulty knowing that and I doubt listening to Obama would be entertaining!

Actually, it can be entertaining to watch Obama give a speech.  When his teleprompter fails, very funny stuff.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:05:09 AM »
When he gives a speech - particularly his "Address to Congress"  a while back - I noticed his mannerisms seem eerily familiar: his scowl, the way he thrusts his chin out and up, the way he directs his gaze from side to side - it's almost as if he rehearsed the stage presence of of a rather famous orator - Il Duce, Benito Mussolini himself.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:12:45 AM »
I won't be watching.  I have to replace the wax ring on a toilet.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:26:09 AM »
Obama news conference vs. something called "Lie To Me"?

One and the same.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:11:47 AM »
I heard this news conference is all choreographed anyway.  They know who will ask questions and what.  I heard someone report that the questions and answers were even on the teleprompter. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:12:03 AM »
I'm way behind on my paper clip and thumb tack counting.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »
I have to change the air in my tires... =(
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »
I need to mow my front lawn.  Then I can watch it grow some more.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »
Baseball game in HD.

No contest.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:27:59 AM »
I won't be watching.  I have to replace the wax ring on a toilet.

Winnah!  :laugh:

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »
I've gotta go to the Coast Guard recruiters and tell them how to run their ships.  :laugh:

But I will watch Lie to Me when I get back home. I'll catch the high points of the Obama speech on Rush's Thursday show.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 10:39:21 AM »
Weekly steel match. I'd rather miss all the targets than watch that smug SOB celebrating his 100 days of pissing me off.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 11:08:28 AM »
Too bad we couldn't hack his teleprompter.  Athough I am sure it is a capital crime.

bk425

• Now's the time
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 12:03:30 PM »
Too bad we couldn't hack his teleprompter.  Athough I am sure it is a capital crime.
Yeah, everyone who's read that post have had additions made to their "permanent record" at the FBI. So worth it.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 02:15:30 AM »
As a related aside, what does everyone make of this Churchill reference in Obama's speech?  The story is here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/30/obama-waterboarding-mistake

Firstly, I cant find any reference to Churchill making a public statement in 1940 against torture.  If Obama based his comment (as appears likely) on Andrew Sullivan's writings then he is, quite simply, wrong.  The Sullivan piece is here, and it is objectionable for its own reasons:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/04/churchill-vs-cheney.html

Secondly, during 1940 Britain - under Churchills leadership - was engaged in locking large numbers (1000+) of "enemy aliens" and British citizens up, without trial and against Habeas Corpus.  This includes Mosley, who was the subject of the Churchill quote, and who had been imprisoned without trial between 1940 and 1943, and who would continue to be under house arrest until the end of the war.  Most of these detainees were held on the Isle of Man eventually. 

Finally, as even Sullivan's piece notes, while the commandant of that camp did not physically mistreat his inmates, he did deprive them of sleep, drug them, get them drunk - and all the while having the ultimate punishment (and not one with a battery of lawyers, or a baying media) readily available to him with which to threaten the spies.  One wonders what Amnesty International would make of such methods.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:59:38 AM by agricola »
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 07:53:43 AM »
Is that Mosley as in the facist, Nazi sympathizing father of Max "make it hurt" Mosley?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 08:14:38 AM »
Agricola, you rely too much on facts.  You have to loosen up a bit and go with your feelings.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

agricola

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »
Is that Mosley as in the facist, Nazi sympathizing father of Max "make it hurt" Mosley?

Yes. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 12:04:52 PM »
As a related aside, what does everyone make of this Churchill reference in Obama's speech?
I was surprised to hear it. I can see him making public remarks against torturing POWs, sure. Not against spies. With both sides bombing whole cities, I don't think that torture of spies would be a major moral issue to him.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Has any other president held any public event to mark his hundredth day?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »
Long, yet interesting NewsHour transcript from W. Bush's hundredth day.  They all seem fairly impressed.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/white_house/jan-june01/100days_4-30.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 04:53:11 PM »
Obama who?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.